Homemade Hand Sanitizer

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Mar 4, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well you can get Aloe Vera gel on Amazon, but it is stupid expensive. I would just use the vodka or the rubbing alcohol and be done with it. How about a bar of soap? Think that would work?

Blitz likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll drink to that !

Just curious; what type or national name store carries "aloe vera jel" ? Never used it.

4. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm just guessing, but judging by the pictures on Amazon it looks like you would find it in the cosmetics department of any store that carried them. Drug Store Chains. Department Stores. I will look at Wally World the next time I am there.

5. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Use "rubbing alcohol" still available from most pharmacies. It is exactly the same as sanitiser but in purely liquid form.

6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Brownbear,

Are you saying that these hand sanitizers are really just alcohol for the germs and the aloe stuff is the medium for application ?

I always thought this but not familiar with aloe vera.

7. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Get yourself a good source of gamma rays. :D After all, a lot of our foods is bombarded with that stuff.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    good idea BB, watch the prices of that climb when people realise they cant get hand sanitizer.

Blitz likes this.
  9. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I 've no doubt of that, but it may take a while for folks to "cotton on" though

lonewolf likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    dosent it always? that's why people are Sheeple.

Brownbear likes this.
  11. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Indeed

lonewolf likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Sheeple do not prepare and laugh at anyone who does, it is always someone else's job to save them not theirs.

Blitz, watcherchris and Brownbear like this.
  13. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, let's watch and see if the laughing stops now though ;)

howler and lonewolf like this.
  14. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Where I live, any alcohol that can be use for killing germs has been in shortage since about a month ago (including 190-proof moonshine)

Brownbear likes this.
  15. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The downside to using alcohol as a sanitizer is it can damage your skin. Definitely kills the germs and bad stuff. If you have sensitive skin I would be careful about how much you use.

"Aloe vera is also moisturizing and antibacterial and when you apply it to the skin, it can be very useful at preventing infections and soothing reactions."

The moisturizing properties of Aloe Vera may counteract the drying effect of the alcohol. That may be why it is added.

varuna likes this.
  16. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, Morgan.

This clarifies some points. The COH kills the germs and the Aloe Vera mostly works the skin.

Historically, I relied on the alcohol (COH) products sand white petrolatum - frequently NOT USP grade.

Next time out will be doing some R&D on Aloe Vera. I have hand injuries so was supposed to max out with petroleum USP with min COH use.

Morgan101 likes this.
  17. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Though it has been years and years back...I recall one year where I was heavy on the Vitamin C.

But also I spent a considerable amount of time washing my hands that year...warm to hot water...and soap.

But also I used one of those plastic scratchy pads...with the green type rough scrubber...that you use on pots and pans....when washing up... to get down further in the skin and fingerprints.

I did this both at home and at work.

I did not seem to get sick that year.

This can be very difficult for large families....and also with children.

I was quite alarmed to learn how much germs and exposure children get when herded into public schools....and then bring it home to family.

Washing hands ..can be very important and telling...

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Morgan101 likes this.
  18. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Watcherchris,

I also use those green plastic-ickey "scrubber" type sponges. Two reasons; in support of my Prepper philosophy being multi-functional use.

In my kit are 4 small handtools wrapped in these green pot sponges to preclude metal to metal contact. If in a germ-infested field type area, the scrubbers are for the hand washing.

Yes ! The public schools are germ-infested. Public schools are a vestige of an era we need to leave. The small charter schools are much less costly and produce better educated graduates.

watcherchris likes this.
  19. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Why do we call them schools? We should just call them incubators. They breed disease. If the kids aren't bad enough (hygiene wise) we close them up; shut the windows; turn up the heaters; keep them inside; and wonder why they get sick. Fresh air is unheard of. OMG!! the building itself is sick.

My wife was a teacher for over 40 years. She caught everything. To compound the problem she had little ones; who wanted to be hugged, and needed help wiping their nose, God Bless them. She is long since retired, so I don't know what they do now. You can't have enough hand sanitizer, and Kleenex.

watcherchris likes this.
  20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Those green plastc ikey scrubbers are on my list go get more of them soon.....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

21. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Pragmatist....

I made a quick trip to Wally World this morning when I figured most of the traffic would be down.

Picked up two packs of those Scotch Brite green plastic pan scrubbers. Thinking I should have gotten more..

Also picked up two packs of regular yellow sponges with the green scotch Brite on one side of them.

I use them often and in particular after working out in my garage and on my vehicles and am particularly soiled.

Also keep one of them in my shower. I cut them in half to make them more manageable.

Installed a Bidet on my downstairs toilet and will be doing the same on the upstairs toilet...with a view to a possible toilet tissue shortage down the pipeline..

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

22. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Watcherchris,

Here, too, was up and shopping early AM.

Was at Aldi when first opened to avoid the crowd.

Saw the combination sponge - scrubber. Got 2 packs mainly to test for fit in pouches.

The Prepper philosophy is working. As soon as I started to push a shopping cart when doors opened, was thinking the handle was a petri dish of germs. Routine immediate action followed. Wore gloves until checkout. Then, after, washed hands.

23. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I read everybody's posts on this topic and a whole bunch of this'n'that's began growing in my head. Mold also grows in there, so be warned. Here is a dump of tidbits I've learned over the decades.

> I've bought handsoap that attempts to keep your hands from drying out. This stuff was thickish and couldn't be pumped easily through our handsoap pump dispenser. So I water it down. What happens but that the soap and the water separate -- stuff won't mix. What?! The soap had oils in it. So I put some alcohol in it -- figure that the ETOH will break the oils a bit and render it water-soluble. Nope. Know what I did to get the stuff to mix? I didn't. Couldn't find a solution and gave up. If you want to protect your hands from drying, use hand cream after washing them and certainly before you go to bed at night. Dish soap royally dries human skin. Some products purport not to do so. Haven't tested these. Water-down dish detergent; a little goes a lonnnnnnnnnngggg way.

> The big beneficial effect of washing one's hands is simply getting dirt and bacteria and viruses and grubby stuff et. al. off of your skin. Plain old soap goes a long way in doing this. When coming back to your house from work / being in public, take off your clothes and toss them in the laundry. Think about all the places you sat during the day. Now you are going to sit in your favorite chair. Don't do that. You have public / work clothes and then you have your about-the-house attire. Keep these separate until wash-day. Side point: Using vinegar in the wash helps get clothes cleaner and it does not damage clothing & color as bleach certainly will do. Bleach your underwear and your towels & wash cloths -- you must kill the bacteria suffused in their fabrics.

> In any contagion area, gloves are more important than face-masks. Y'know how face masks help you? Keep you from breathing germs and viruses, sure. But they also keep you from sticking your dang fingers in your nose! How do safety glasses work? They keep you from rubbing your eyes with your dirty dang hands! In any contaminated area, KEEP YOUR DANG GLOVES ON! Change your gloves often! Buying gloves is the cost of not getting sick. Here's another point; with gloves on, when you start to touch your face, you realize/recognize that you are touching your face. Without gloves, we continue with the dirty practice of touching our eyes and rubbing our nose. Buy high glove-count boxes of plain old nitrile gloves. Unless you are performing a surgical procedure, you do NOT need sterile gloves -- get the cheap ones for heaven's sake.

> I kiddest thou not on the following study: How do doctors spread germs. Study found that one of the top culprits in the spread of viruses and bacteria was neckties. Neckties?!!! Neckties. Seems doctors, out of habit/whatever, perpetually palpate their ties. Here's a little suggestion: Maybe we should give some thought as to what objects in our environment we continually re-contaminate. Do you use a cane? If you wash your hands then grab your cane, you have recontaminated your hand. Wash your hands AND your cane handle. Don't want to touch a door handle or a handle to anything that could be contaminated, use a paper towel. Think, cooks mixing washed chicken and unwashed chicken on kitchen surfaces = spread of salmonella, clostridium perfringens = food poisoning. Now think, stair handrails, chair arms, ... . Wash surfaces. Wash your hands.

> Alcohol wipes & baby wipes help a lot. Cleaning one's hands is one thing, but don't forget to constantly re-clean surfaces that perpetually become recontaminated.
    c0fcbaadb53dcb34193fc7250944787f.jpeg c0fcbaadb53dcb34193fc7250944787f.gif c0fcbaadb53dcb34193fc7250944787f.jpeg

There were other ideas in my cranial attic. They seem to have gone for a smoke break.

Blitz likes this.
  24. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yup....also bought a three pack of baby wipes at w wally world when getting the scotch brite pads. Thinking about getting a case of them. Have them at work in my lockers too.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

25. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    DIY hand sanitizer question.

Well I'm nearly out of hand sanitizer and also many other things. What is the proper mix for making DIY hand sanitizer? I intend to use Isopropyl alcohol + aloe vera but I'm unsure about the mix

Thanks Beforehand :)

26. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

The initial link I posted gave the basic mix.

CDC tells of how much alcohol to use. Do note that there are different strengths, in percentages, of alcohol sold in the stores.

A few paragraphs later, a medical expert tells of not actually needing the full 99% (Walmart sells only up to 91% alcohol) strength CDC recommendation.

I follow the Old Geezer guidance: the alcohol kills the virus and other germs. The aloe vera heals the hands from the alcohol use. I think this is what I read.

27. Wags

Wags Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
  28. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Wags,

The link's picture 4 sure is better than vacuuming !

I need more sleep.

29. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Methylated spirits + aloe vera.

Meths is around 95% alcohol and the aloe vera simply helps protect your hands. Cheap and easy to make and more effective than store bought hand sanitiser which has lower alcohol content and takes longer to kill the virus.

The best thing to use if you don't make your own hand sanitiser are disinfectant wipes, which kills the virus and bacteria in around 15 seconds, as opposed to store bought hand sanitisers which take longer to kill viruses and bacteria due to their diluted alcohol content so as to keep hands nice and soft ...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Trouble is, where do you buy aloe vera or the gel? I'm sure a lot of people are buying up aloe vera gel right now. I know that the liquor stores here are selling a lot of Everclear.

Edit-

Okay, found lots on Amazon... thus far.

Blitz likes this.
  31. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Crikey, you're a handsome devil!

The aloe vera is only to soften the skin. I'm sure there would be other things you could use. Not sure what at this point but I'll give it some thought and google.

Aloe Vera is very common here. We have a lot of it in the garden. Not sure if that's a common Australian thing or not or if people grow it as a common garden plant in the US.