Homesteaders Are More Prepared Than Preppers?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jun 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I've been reading some articles which seem to suggest that most preppers though they may have the knowledge that will help them survive an event many will find it hard to adjust. Homesteaders on the other hand live like their ancestors did. They grow their own food, sew their own clothes, can their food so it doesn't go bad, etc. They don't have to buy anything because they've got everything they need.

Others say homesteader prepping isn't all that great because everything that is built could be lost.

I wonder though shouldn't homesteaders also be preppers? And preppers homesteaders, or at least they should learn some homesteading skills?

The Innkeeper and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    homesteading will be the new lifestyle post event. similar to smallholding in the UK.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if people will go back to wearing animals skins? Eventually the clothes people have will wear down so I suppose another skill they should learn hand spinning wool. I saw a few youtube videos some time back and I didn't think they were that helpful but in pursuit of self-sufficiency one should be able to make everything they need.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith did a post about moccassins.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We live off grid, so I suppose we would be classed as Homesteaders. Are we better prepared than the none homesteader prepper? Yes I suppose we are, because we are already at our survival retreat & already doing most of the things we would have to do in a TEOTWAWKI situation. Then again there are some skills that other homesteaders may not have that a prepper may have. Not all preppers can afford to purchase their own homestead, but those that can't, should be doing as much as they can where they are right now, eg growing their own food & learning how to preserve their own food.
    Making your own clothing in a long term wilderness living situation would be very important. One of the first items to wear out would probably be footwear. As lonewolf said, I have made a series of videos on making moccasins. You need to learn this skill/craft & make your moccasins before you need them. In that way you will be wearing the pattern on your feet when you need to make a new pair.
    Keith.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have a family friend who was a homesteader. He was granted 24 hectares by the government where he built his home and raised a family. Although what I had seen was already a nice house and a profitable farm, I have heard of his pioneering experience. Eddie was his name and he is past 80 now. But ask him all about survival and he is like a Wikipedia. Yes, I agree that homesteaders are more prepared since they have the experience of living on the land and independent of other people.

7. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I think that this might be a situation of knowledge or mindset. If I decide that we are at some point going to experience a life extinction event, or close to that, and start reading everything that I can find about survival after an apocalypse of some kind, eventually. I would have accumulated a lot of good survival information.
    However, if I am just reading , and not actually trying to live without modern conveniences, then I will still not be emotionally prepared when that event takes place.
    The homesteader, on the other hand, might not have read all of the survival books (although he probably has done this, too); so he might not have learned everything he needs to know about surviving in this kind of situation.
    However he does already have the proper mindset for surviving that way.
    The homesteader has already gone off-grid, and is used to living without modern conveniences, and being responsible for his own survival.
    Sometimes, becoming a homesteader, and living off-grid is just not a possibility, for economical reasons, or maybe health reasons.
    In this case, the best thing that you can do is be as prepared as you can be to survive where you are at, and that would include growing your own food (as much as possible), modifying your diet to eating basic foods, and learning some skills, like sewing, knitting/spinning yarn, and things that might be helpful.
    We live right outside of Redstone Arsenal, which is a huge military base, and probably one of the main targets, should America be attacked. Survival is probably not something that I have to worry about if this happens, but even so, I try to be as prepared as possible.

8. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Homesteaders are better because they are the actual living breathing preppers. They don't do preservation of food or weaving clothes because they are preppers. They do it because its how they should do things. They only depend on themselves so they need to work for it.