Homesteading In Healthier Areas

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Pragmatist, Nov 15, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/flood-fire-plague-climate-change-blamed-disasters-n1082026

Good morning all,

Per ...

A subtitle could be "Climate Change and Plague" - although I believe the Plague devastated continental Europe
    prior to industrialization.

Be careful near stone balustrades.

*** For reasons of health we must relocate out homesteads and and BOPs to Nunavut, Canada. ***

Are the California environmentalists relocating ?

Note / Write Down: "A warmer world brings ... extreme heat".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    The media is making a fuss over the two case out break of pneumonic plague in China. Which, while not to make light of these people's suffering, is hardly the only reports of the plague to show up, even this year.

The US has on average between 1 and 7 cases a year although usually bubonic plague.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

Then there is Madagascar where the plague is basically endemic.

https://www.iamat.org/country/madagascar/risk/plague

Climate change and politicians. Do they actually do anything except point fingers and argue? And the media absolutely loves it.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Rebecca,

Yes, indeed, I recall a case of plague - don't know what variety - in metro Los Angeles a few years ago.

Climate change is just about officially completed. I just read:

"In January 2019, more than 40 economists, including 27 Noble laureates and four former Federal Reserve Chairs, signed the Economists' Statement on Carbon Dividends. The statement calls for a tax...
    This tax would increase annually and replace ' cumbersome regulations' and its revenues would be redistributed to U.S. citizens."

Above quote from a large bar sub-article in an article titled "Central Banks and Climate Risks" by Molly Harnish in the current ECON FOCUS magazine of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Virginia. I just received the refined pulp from trees issue. They do have a website at www.richmondfed.org .

I am looking forward to ditching all those cumbersome regulations. I am not looking forward to my carbon dividend check.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    -- I don't know of anyone on this forum looking for a survival location , but in case there is post this . This is the area my group have established ourselves in but do not reside in Arkhaven . We heard the call and picked and moved about 500 miles to establish our survival grounds .

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Not at 10K an acre.

TMT Tactical, Nov 25, 2023
  5. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something I found interesting today while exploring prepper type things via computer . On one site where someone had done their research and circled a few of the most desirable locations for preppers in the United States . He had took his pen and circled my survival retreat . Granted it incorporated about a 50 mile circle but it left me in the center of that circle . Actually though I did not find this surprising . This indeed is a hot spot for serious preppers , many around here picked up and moved to this area as folks looking for that prepper retreat . This influx of preppers is what has driven land prices to the level we are now experiencing . --- City folks or anyone else thinking they will be able to prey upon this area after SHTF will find they have kicked over something akin to a fire ant hill . Those that live in cooler climates are not likely to even know what a fire ant hill is like . I will just say its bad .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    About 30 years ago I " peered into the future " and then told my wife , one day people are going to flock to the Ozarks and land prices are going to skyrocket . We need to buy now before that happens . She trusted the message I had received and we left our two young kids with a relative and struck out to look for that prepper retreat . It get even more erie for those that don't understand inner messages and I could fill in a lot of this post with stuff that most simply would not believe . Witnessing I believe may be the term in religious circles . --- A couple of weeks ago I found myself in a town in my area and had stopped to get a cup of coffee and kill some time as I was waiting for stores to open . In came a man and woman couple and we were the only customers . I immediately sensed they were Christians a term I don't apply to many people despite what they may claim . Sure enough they prayed over their food before they ate . I highly suspected they were in the area like many people hoping to find a new home . When I walked outside my hunch was confirmed " to a degree " when I made it a point to check their car tag as to their state from which they had came . They indeed were from for away .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Ozarks remind me of Southern Appalachia. Many Protestant Ulster Scots settled there just like my kin (I've a good bit of German and Scandinavian thrown in, plus a tiny bit from N.Africa and the Near East; maybe that's why Dad was dark complected and given to explosive emotions??? whatever; I don't care). I like to think of my Scottish ancestors. Often have attended the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. My mom's clan was from a holler very near there. Cherokee, NC is nearby. Her dad had a great+ grandmother back when who was Cherokee. All the original white trappers married into the Original People's families. One clan hid over 300 Cherokee during the Trail of Tears abomination / horror. Damn the souls of the whites who had anything to do with the Trail of Tears! Damn the soul of Andrew Jackson plus all of the other haters who came before him! The Cherokee were by-God civilized and very intelligent.

Downside of the Ozarks is that they are too close to likely ground-burst nukes and thus could catch some seriously hot fallout -- really dangerous levels of radiation. Same is true of a swath due east of Oak Ridge in S.Appalachia. Oak Ridge doesn't store what it used to store nuke-wise; nevertheless, our enemies won't take a chance on that and thus will hit that place which could be horrifically bad for Knoxville, plus a section/radius within the mountains on over into North Carolina (potentially, Asheville NC could catch some really hot fallout). Makes me sick to think about it. Mother Nature will survive and then some; however, humans catching that fallout will die of radiation poisoning ... wishing that they had been killed outright.

During a nuclear war, be far away from hot fallout areas, or be at ground zero and get killed in a millisecond.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    good job nobody's done the same for the UK! or sat least I've never come across it.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="Old Geezer, post: 102471, member: 5089"

Downside of the Ozarks is that they are too close to likely ground-burst nukes and thus could catch some seriously hot fallout -- really dangerous levels of radiation. Same is true of a swath due east of Oak Ridge in S.Appalachia. Oak Ridge doesn't store what it used to store nuke-wise; nevertheless, our enemies won't take a chance on that and thus will hit that place which could be horrifically bad for Knoxville, plus a section/radius within the mountains on over into North Carolina (potentially, Asheville NC could catch some really hot fallout). Makes me sick to think about it. Mother Nature will survive and then some; however, humans catching that fallout will die of radiation poisoning ... wishing that they had been killed outright.

During a nuclear war, be far away from hot fallout areas, or be at ground zero and get killed in a millisecond.
    .[/QUOTE]
    I am not trying to argue or start some type of squabble , but am curious as to why you believe a radiation laden cloud would settle down at my survival area ? We sometimes see dust clouds in the United States that have traveled from Africa and still haven't descended back to ground level . Granted there is a " possibility " it could settle here , just like there is a possibility it could settle anywhere on the planet . -- But to look at this from a different angle , even if it did settle at my chosen survival area , the amount of radiation could be anything from mild to severe radiation levels . -- Regardless this is why we have prepared , not just ignored this possibility and hoped for good luck .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not trying to argue or start some type of squabble , but am curious as to why you believe a radiation laden cloud would settle down at my survival area ? We sometimes see dust clouds in the United States that have traveled from Africa and still haven't descended back to ground level . Granted there is a " possibility " it could settle here , just like there is a possibility it could settle anywhere on the planet . -- But to look at this from a different angle , even if it did settle at my chosen survival area , the amount of radiation could be anything from mild to severe radiation levels . -- Regardless this is why we have prepared , not just ignored this possibility and hoped for good luck .[/QUOTE]

It's not my belief. That's what the government maps show.

God's honest truth, I myself didn't think that the Ozarks would be hot post-nuke, yet the maps I looked at had both Arkansas and Missouri covered in fallout.

upload_2023-11-27_11-6-10.png

11. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Documents/Pubs/320-088_nucwpdet_fs.pdf --- Here is another one of those information outlets by one of those so called experts . Looking at their biggest nuclear bomb at least on this information source , , Nuclear fallout could be expected for 6 miles from the blast . Well I am many hundreds of miles from 90 % of the targets shown on the Old Geezer map . The remaining 10% are simply located in a wind direction that poses little threat . Even that 10% is a long ways away . The only potential target threat is a nuclear power plant " not shown on the Old Geezer Map " and it is still around 100 miles away and in a direction that wind seldom travels in . Frankly I doubt they would even use a Nuclear Bomb on a electrical power plant simply because it wouldn't need that much of a bomb to destroy . On top of that it would have to travel over a mountain range and then drop it's radioactive load at the right time .--- Old Geezer ., I am not saying your map is wrong anymore than I am saying the information that I am posting is correct . -- I suspect they are " both wrong " and personally expect radiation fallout results to not be as limited as my posted link dictates nor as severe as the Old Geezer Map . --- My expectation though in actuality is for an EMP attack " thus no radiation " and then the attacking country setting back and watch pampered people die of their own accord .

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mountain ranges mean next to nothing to fallout patterns unless we're talking about the Himalayas. Plumes of radioactively hot debris will ascend to over 20,000 ft. / 6 kilometers high. Depending on how much earth is dredged by a ground burst, the fallout distance will vary. Some may only travel 20 or 50 miles, others can go over 100+ miles. Military bases catch ground bursts to take-out any underground storage facilities.

The Tinker Air Force Base website:

https://www.tinker.af.mil/About-Tinker/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/3141955/b-2-spirit/

In a nuclear war, this base is certain to be hit. The fallout will spread due east.

Our missile silo locations:

[​IMG]

upload_2023-11-28_17-30-53.png

upload_2023-11-28_17-31-23.png

upload_2023-11-28_17-36-29.png

poltiregist likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Radioactive particles simply do not stay put. This stuff travels far and wide. History of radioactive iodine exposure (Wikipedia):

"Per capita thyroid doses in the continental United States resulting from all exposure routes from all atmospheric nuclear tests conducted at the Nevada Test Site from 1951–1962 and from emissions from plutonium production at the Hanford Site in Washington state."

[​IMG]

Old Geezer, Nov 28, 2023
  13. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting how that radiation map shows all or nearly all the radiation stopping at the Mississippi river . I am no expert on Nuclear Fallout and have never been through a Nuclear blast so I will not argue against the map .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh, the Mississippi won't stop these horrific "gifts". Where it is I wish to return is down-wind of Oak Ridge, TN. Once I had a contract employment in Oak Ridge. Got my handgun and rifle instructor training in Oak Ridge -- the classes were conducted by those who worked Security at the Y-12 facility. I've driven to the fences of the Y-12 perimeter for sh##s and grins. Whenever I'm living in some region, some other state, I always scout the roads, to include all of the back-roads. "Know where you live. Know the people", words to live by. I once applied for a permanent job down there (the guys that worked at that particular company were strange :confused:o_O; in hindsight, I'm really glad I didn't get the job).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    fallout clouds have more to do with the Jet stream than normal wind direction and can travel all over the world.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    True - and that is why I put no faith in a forecast as to where a radioactive cloud is going to settle back down to earth at .

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it could settle anywhere, there is no way of knowing.

TMT Tactical likes this.