How Bad Are Your Bugs

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Bishop, Jun 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    This is how bad the mosquitoes are where I live.

Radar and Keith H. like this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have 2 enemies here at home. The pesky mosquitoes are attacking 24/7. The daytime mosquitoes are worse because their bite is so itchy that needs an ointment to soothe. But our worst enemy is the bedbug. We still don't know how they came about. Our living room is infested and tge only way to eradicate them is by washing all the furniture. Bedbug bite is double the itch of mosquito bite.

Radar and Bishop like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not bad here in New England, but up in the Territory.............
    aWVXgo27PEa-p0fzsyavX3qKuSLDnJcc.jpeg
    Keith.

Radar and Bishop like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have never had the displeasure of bed bugs and hope I don't have the opportunity

Radar and Keith H. like this.
  5. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We have our share. Mosquito, some times of the year, can be a real nuisance. We have a handful of nasty spiders, but nothing to get excited about. There are scorpions here, but where we are located, I don't see them often. And of course there are bees, hornets, and the rest. So, pretty typical for rural America.

Radar likes this.
  6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Bed bugs are easy to keep away but once they invade are damn near impossible to get rid of!

Do not make your bed in the mornings, make sure the mattress gets plenty of sunshine and air
    Clean bedroom very well do the whole house!

Bedbugs like dark damp cozy conditions, deny them!

If you have carpet salt it burn the old mattress!

Actually salt is excellent at a lot of things!

7. L.Anderson

L.Anderson Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Terrible. There are so many mosquitoes in my backyard too, we often have BBQ parties but they are so annoying.

Radar likes this.
  8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Mosquitos, horseflys and midges make life interesting when you're outdoors in the UK but none of them are dangerous.
    Bed bugs are rare here but if you keep house pets you need some form of flea and tick control over summer.

Radar likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    horseflies known as "cleggs" in this locale, can be a problem sometimes, so can midges near water, house flies are usually the worst thing we get.

Radar likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have a salt marsh mosquito that when they nail you it is closer to a bee sting than a little mosquito bite. I don't know why they are so much worse than regular mosquitoes but they are. I was raised in a place that had trucks that drove up and down the streets on summer nights spraying a mosquito spray on the sides of the streets. The biggest farming done was rice farming. A thousand acre rice field is a just huge mosquito breeding ground. The rest of the area was swamps. Hundreds of square miles of flooded cypress swamps. The mosquitoes can get so bad that they can kill calves.

We used to carry a bottle of coke under the seat so that if we went through a swarm of mosquitoes, once we were past them, we would have to stop the car to clean the windows so we could see to drive. Coke is good for that. None of these preceding stories are exaggerations or tall tales. Seriously I was raised in mosquito hell...and then there were the mutant mosquitoes from all the chemical pollution...
    rFM4TPpiQTdMQbTznRhWr5HblKPh9V0F.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Radar likes this.
  11. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    texdanm, in reply to your post, up north we have 5 kinds of nasty bug. mosquitoes, deer flies, black flies, noseeums, horse flies, i believe that you friend came in contact with black flies , a truly nasties bug, they can bite so bad that i have seen full grown men with their eyes closed over from the bites. also blood running down ones neck. https://www.mtlblog.com/news/quebec-issues-warning-for-black-fly-bites
    bb3acf7df61bc480e50d5322e968a639.jpeg

Radar likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is what he called them. I remembered that when you mentioned it. We have a lot of bugs and such here. Lots of them bite and sting. The fire ants are about the worst but we also have scorpions, spiders up to tarantulas, every kind of wasp and bee there is including the so called killer bees, and all sorts of the bigger biting flies like horse and deer flies. Nothing though beats the damn fire ants. They can be killers. They have nearly wiped out the birds that nest on the ground and kill calves and little colts if they get on a big mound and don't get off. When they bite you it is an acid burn and painful. The little beasts like to get all over you and then all bite at the same time!

Watch this fool. It is almost the stupidest thing that I have ever seen.

Radar likes this.
  13. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    I agree that it's terrible. I had a hard time watching the video, as well, seeing how many mosquitoes there were. I can't imagine living in an environment like that, as I don't have them too bad here in ID.