How Can You Ensure You Slaughter A Hen Painlessly?

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by bomb2060, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. bomb2060

bomb2060 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I have been slaughtering chicken for a while now. But still think there is need for a less painful method for slaughtering them. What is your trick?

The Innkeeper likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    From what I had seen when I was young, my mother would pull the feathers on the hen's neck. And then she would tap the neck with the side of the knife before slashing it. During that time, there were no dressed chicken in the market and the only available chicken are the live ones. So if you don't know how to butcher a chicken then you have a problem. But I admit that I haven't tried that because when I was in high school, dressed chicken were already available in the wet market.

3. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    We hold the bird by the legs, upside down. The bird will go unconscious. Sort of passed out. Then put on block & one chop remove the head. Hang bird by the feet to drain. Then ready to butcher.

4. bomb2060

bomb2060 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. This sounds workable. I will try this out. I usually feel for the bird. Especially when i remove some feathers around the neck to allow for slaughtering.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    never slaughtered a chicken but have done so with a pheasant, stick its body under your arm and pull its neck, takes a few seconds, job done.

6. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha. Funny responses here. The best way to slaughter a chicken is to use a sharp knife that would cut through the flesh with ease, like a hot knife through butter. Nothing can beat this.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I just put the chook on a chopping block & chop the head off. No complaints so far:)
    Keith.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I just cut their heads off with a butcher knife. Quick and simple...