How Important Is It To Have A Backup Plan(s) In Survival?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by sunnytn, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    For every endeaver in survival; it is vital to have one or more backup plans. Simply put, sometimes plan A and plan B doesn't always work. Although we often think of redundance as a negative quality..in survival it is a positive quality. Skill and knowledge, open-mindedness, preparation, and redundance are key factors in survival. What are your backup ideas?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I do not have plans as such. they are more like options!

My recent bug out plan had vehicular options, cycle options and foot options!
    with those options were layup points, interchange points, possible resupply points, danger points etc!
    I could change between these options many times and at most anytime!
    As my third retreat is being sold now I am at the point of reassessing everything!

sunnytn likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes have more than one plan and more than one place prepared with stashes the better prepared your are now the better chance you have when you need it1 a shelter and tools to work with stashed ahead of time are there ready more than one stash gives you more choices and a better chance

Moroccanbeauty2266 and sunnytn like this.
  4. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We have 8 places ready

sunnytn likes this.
  5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    It's important to consider all your options, and spend time visualizing how this or that option would go, ideally. The thing is, we don't even know what is going to happen. We can just try to imagine a bunch of what if scenarios. And prepare for the most likely.

sunnytn likes this.
  6. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's like minecraft. When you get done building one, you get bored and want to interconnect them, start to play out worst case scenarios...bam. Shelter 2. And then hey, you know, that was a good spot...boom, 3. Want food in all of them, start thinking of badass plans....boom, 4! I think it's a natural progression.

sunnytn likes this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Plan (A) We stay where we are living off grid with our family & friends & group members. IF we find that we are unable to defend what we have for whatever reason, then we move to plan (B) We all leave & move further into the wilderness. However, depending on the circumstances, I also have a plan (C) We pretend to leave but come back & retake what is ours taking no prisoners.
    Keith.

sunnytn and joshposh like this.
  8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    When you are just relying on your instincts to survive, I don't think many people would be able to be aware enough during the situation to have a back up plan. There are many factors involving planning, and a calm mind is definitely one of them. When you are in danger, or when you are simply fighting to survive, your default setting would be act now, and think later. For a lot of people, that's basically it, keep running, keep moving, and hopefully you will find someone else who is also in your situation. For people who were trained to act in disaster though, that's a different story. Firefighters, paramedics, and even the police have been trained on what to do in certain scenarios, and that's why they would always THINK before acting, because their training has overridden their baser instincts to survive on their own.

sunnytn likes this.
  9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Prepper means prepareing for ? Old scout motto. BE PREPARED means ? Both mean be ready for whatever comes your way anytime. Fools put all their eggs in one basket means they have one way to do things right or wrong one way dont be a fool

sunnytn likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a plan or several plans, is vital, otherwise you become a refugee, just running about like a headless chicken.

sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  11. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    In addition to the backup plans you will also need the equanimity to come up with a new plan if none of your plans can be used in whatever specific situation you find yourself in. This could make a huge difference. Freeze and you are dead.

12. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    As for me, my Christian faith is a strong emotional buffer that guards me from the fear of the unknown that necessitates a plan B and C. The other thing is that even with other exit plans, what can go wrong will go wrong. The best approach is to take each situation as it comes and aspire to learn and analyse your sorroundings. This is a skill that becomes ingrained into someone's mind. You will be able to maneouvre your way round through uncanny intuition.

sunnytn likes this.
  13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think having more plans is vital in any situation you are in. If plan A does not work then you should have a plan B ready to be implemented. And while doing plan B you need to have another plan, plan C and so forth. If you do not have multiple backup plans you will be lost very fast and feel quite trapped. Having a backup plan gives you a feeling of security and assurance that you know everything will be okay in the end because one of the plans has to work out. I guess it helps you to stay hopeful and motivated to keep on going.

Having secret hiding places and stashes during an apocalypse sounds like a very smart idea and I definitely will include that in my plans.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016