How much of living "off the grid" are you already doing?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by crmeche2, Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I know for myself, I've been trying to think of ways in which I can increase my self-sufficiency now, so that I can retrain the way I think about things.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are totally off grid & off all services & have been for about 40 years or so. We grow all our own food.
    Keith.
    tG7QF7XPVXHbbB1FobD93PneOP2UrXdL.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    SunshineH and Moroccanbeauty2266 like this.
  3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Not much.

But I have plans to go off the grid within three years. I've lived off the grid for a number of years in the past so I'm sure this transition won't be that hard. At the present though circumstances can't permit me to live off the grid.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not as much as i'd like to.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would like to live off the grid but with my three little children it is kind of risky at the moment.
    The only thing that I am trying to do these days is to not spend much money as I used to and I think that is good.

However, it would make sense to get mentally prepared first, teach my kids what is necessary, then to build a
    small house close to the woods somewhere. Building one would be a great project for my husband!

We have to be patient until we can actually take that step.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    100%

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Moving to off grid is a little like making the decision to have children, sometimes there just is not a right time, & you just have to do it. Our three boys were born off grid & did not move to the city till their teens. Two of my sons have since moved back off grid.
    Keith.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My kids did homework by oil lamp its all they knew then we got coleman lanterns witch worked better now 35 years later we have solar and wind power after watching a few youtube things we are going to make a water wheel to add into our grid life off grid is not hard once you get set up we are never without power

Keith H. likes this.
  9. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Not much for me outside of studying on the subject of off-grid living. I also sleep in my tent in my backyard at lest once a month, I wouldn't call sleeping in my backyard true off-grid living buts it's a start.

SunshineH and Keith H. like this.
  10. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Not as far as I'd like to be but I'm on my way to the country by the end of this month hopefully, that'll about put the finishing touches on at least being off the grid. When I get moved, I am immediately going to start stocking up on supplies. I'm making sure that I am prepared for anything. Doing research and making copies on some things that I want. When things get bad, there's not going to be internet, need to keep that in mind. I feel like I'm going back to when our world wasn't "civilized" (sarcasm), and I am excited about it. I don't think I'll have a hard time adjusting.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I guess about 80% because my work requires a car, internet and a computer. If I no longer require to use those things, maybe I can do 95%. I will still need my internet to earn some cash.

12. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    No electric power at home between April-December 2016...wasn't bad but I would've been cold if we'd had freezing cold days like last winter's. In mild weather I missed the computer more than anything else.

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think any experience/practice you can get of the outdoors is a plus. There is a lot to learn. Well done.
    01a235ada342d8c3921f52243f1829d2.jpeg
    Keith.

14. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Off Grid means off the mains power supply, it does not mean no electricity. We are totally off grid & off all government services, but we still have solar power & the internet.
    Keith.

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Keep us posted on that please Tina, let us know how you go.
    Keith.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it depends on how much one can or wants to live without electricity, I don't think many could.
    I lived for 12 years without electric of any kind, mains or off grid. and was very happy doing so.
    we have a friend in Somerset who has 1 small solar panel, 1 very small domestic wind turbine and a mini water wheel on the local stream, that gives her about 2 hours electric per day, enough for lights and her computer, that is all, but that is all she wants.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Country side living for me. Nice little house with no neighbours. 20 acres of land, river that runs through the bottom section of land. I’m still using technology and for the moment I’m on the grid. This will change over the years

@lonewolf just read your post above. I was wondering why you changed from of grid with no electricity to on the grid? If you don’t mind the question. As am doing the opposite a would like to know please

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    because I didn't own the land and there was a change of ownership, I had to move on(off).
    if i'd owned it i'd still be there now!!!

kevy39 likes this.
  19. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

Fair mate. I only asked as I was interested and it may have been because living of grid was not for you. It’s unfortunate you was moved off.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    living off the grid was DEFINITELY for me, I loved every minute of it, I was in my own personal environment.

21. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Get back to it then;) off grid is all new’is to me that will change over time though.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you think i'm not trying to?? land is very expensive down here even for bad quality land.

23. kevy39

kevy39 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    A wouldn’t know what your doing with your life mate. And yes land is expensive

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking for some time and its expensive even for the scrappy little bits.

25. SunshineH

SunshineH New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    so far I'm focusing more on skills and preparing for little things (like freezing rain again today, water issues last week, power outages).
    My first prep is to keep a clean house/clean sink/laundry done! Any challenge is easier to meet if I'm not tripping over things or lacking clean socks!
    I'm also learning to cook simpler food, and starting to build a food stash.
    Another focus is to get in the best shape & health I can so that I have to stamina to meet challenges as they pop up.

As money, time and energy allow I'm going to upgrade my efforts! the dream is to be in my little cottage by the forest!

26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you were raised by people who didn't have a grid off which to live, then prepping is not some big decision.

People, this isn't radical.

If you like electricity, get a generator.

Water, get ceramic filter(s), plus activated charcoal filters.

Put back canned goods that you always eat anyway. Putting back rice, noodles, and dried beans is no bother -- you can even put oxygen absorbers in sealed jars with such and extent their already long shelf life.

Get a wood stove or cooking tools for your fireplace or grill that fits into your fireplace or get a camping grill or whatever.
    https://jet.com/product/detail/5ef8...MIsIrFieW92gIVFYnICh3QVQJgEAQYAyABEgI3T_D_BwE

Look at the microstoves overland hikers carry with them. And oh by the way, beans and cornbread will keep you alive.

Got a bit of land, start a garden.

No firearm, buy a handy rifle or pump shotgun. Go learn how to use it. Security system, get a dog, bark bark.

Catching my drift?! This isn't rocket science. It is advanced camping. My grandparents lived without any electricity whatsoever. I've lit and maintained thousands of fires to keep the house warm enough to live inside. Your ancestors did. You can. Look at all of the outdoor living / camping stores there are today!

Get busy. Things in this crazy world could go sideways at any time. Open a history book if you doubt me.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people will be caught out when the power grid goes down, I know many in my own country believe this will never happen, but it happens every time we get the first winter storms, a power line comes down somewhere, but one day the power grid will go down and it will stay down. its the weak link in our 3 core systems, banking/finance, communications, and power, if one of these core systems fails it will bring the other two down, maybe in weeks, maybe in days.

28. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...-approaches-why-arent-more-people-doing-this/

"Living Off Grid As The Collapse Of Society Approaches: 'Why Aren’t More People Doing This?'”
    February 4, 2021 by Michael Snyder

"You don’t have to be a cog in the system. For most of us, the only option that was presented while we were growing up was to get on the hamster wheel and run as fast as we could. You know what I mean – go to school, get a job, pay a mortgage, prepare for retirement, etc. But it doesn’t have to be that way. If you truly want to unplug from the system and live your life off the grid, you can. Of course it isn’t easy, but nothing in life really worth doing ever is."
    ---------------------------------

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...s-stockpiling-guns-silver-and-food-right-now/

"Why Are So Many Americans Stockpiling Guns, Silver And Food Right Now?"

February 3, 2021 by Michael Snyder

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    My humble opinion: because they can't handle it.
    Let's be honest, unless you go into the off grid lifestyle with a lot of funds to start with, its not going to be glamorous. Its hard work, and can be uncomfortable.
    There are things I do, they don't bother me anymore, on a daily basis, that would send most people running back to their city apartment in horror. I can only think of a handful, literally, of people on here and other forums that I know well enough to say hey they probably would have no problem with this lifestyle, or they are more extreme than me.
    People like their comfort. And few are brave enough to step out of that comfort zone.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    which is why the survival rate will be so low post SHTF especially over here.
    most people do not want to give up their modern lifestyle even in a pandemic.

TMT Tactical likes this.