How To Easily Make A Bow And Arrows?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Koala, Jul 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Pretty easy question. The skill of making a bow and a bunch of arrows, fast and by using only raw materials can be extremely useful in any survival situation - especially the ones in a forest or the wilderness. A bow can be used in many ways. Not only as a weapon but also for things like hunting.

I always admired people that knew how to craft it properly and I am very curious what is the easiest and best way? I assume you make arrows with a knife, by cutting off the ends? sort of like with a spear.
    What about everything else though? What could be used as a string?

Marc Ortiz likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a survival "bundle" bow can be made fairly quickly, a better bow takes a bit longer, I made one in about 6 hours but that was continual without hardly a break.
    I think there are plants that can be used as cordage but the native peoples used to use deer sinew I believe.

Marc Ortiz and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Like lonewolf said, a quick survival bow is relatively easy to make, & the bow string can be made from plant fiber cordage or animal sinew. Arrows are a little harder to make & may need straightening by heating over the fire. You can also use a combination of wood & reed stems for arrows. The tips of arrows can be made from bone or stone, bone is the easiest to make but still takes time & some skill. You could use fire hardened wood tips on the arrows. Fletching is required to make the arrow fly straight over distance, & the fletching is best made from bird feathers.
    A proper self bow takes a lot longer to make & requires more skill. Carrying a tomahawk & a clasp knife would greatly aid the making of bow & arrows.
    Keith.

Marc Ortiz and Koala like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I shot this video at the Tennessee classic traditional bow shoot these guys and gals have about two days to make there bow and shoot 60 Target for score.

Marc Ortiz and Koala like this.
  5. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    This is some of the targets on the course about 35 yards on the bears my arrows are the coral snake color fletching.

Marc Ortiz likes this.
  6. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    this all coming from the guy that's Avatar looks like one of the village people lol are you for real if you are not strong enough to draw a bow back it's ok lol

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Raunchy Biker is history Joseph.
    Keith.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    obviously someone who didn't understand the concept of survival.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Could not even survive a survival fourm

Marc Ortiz and lonewolf like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    He is obviously a sick person. His chances of survival are near zero. This sort of behavior seems to be a sick response that some rather disturbed people have to the anonymity of the internet. Unfortunately a lot of people fail to understand that guns are not the special secret to survival. He will be one of those poor people that won 't understand that a big gun doesn't make you 7' tall or armor plated and it will instead get him killed.

A bow offers you a LOT of advantages over a gun. You can make it yourself from a wide assortment of available materials. It is silent and once you have mastered the ability to make the component parts and gain skill with its use you will be armed forever with a good protective weapon and hunting tool.

I have made several out of PVC pipe. Wood bows can be made easily and as your skill grows they will get better and better. Even a cross bow isn't out of reach for the average craftsman.

I think that in the survival situations flexibility and the widest possible knowledge will be a major point of being able to adapt and overcome the unknown situations that you may face.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Marc Ortiz, lonewolf and Bishop like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    skills and knowledge will last much longer post SHTF than any stock pile of gear.

Marc Ortiz likes this.