How To Keep The Bread Fresh ...

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by DemaOpolo, Dec 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DemaOpolo

DemaOpolo Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I lived in America in 1999 ...
    I would say that American bread is very different from Russian.
    ------------------------------
    American bread is too soft, too white, since you add a lot of chemical ingredients to it ...
    In addition, the Americans do not know what "black bread" is ....
    American bread does not stale and does not rot for several months!
    ------------------------------
    Therefore, in America, people who know "survival and natural products", then they buy flour and prepare bread themselves in their own oven ...

==================
    But...

If you have Natural Bread, then how to preserve it?

1. Imagine that you live in a distant forest and you buy bread from a farmer who lives more than 50 km
    2. Imagine that you live in the City, natural bread is sold on your street, but you are a lazy person and do not want to go there every day ...

---------------------
    In these two cases, you must be able to SAVE THE BREAD FRESH ...

==================
    Decision...
    Paragraph 1
    You buy this Natural bread, as much as possible ...
    You can buy a whole bag for a few weeks ...
    -------------------------------
    Point 2
    You must have a freezer! Temperature = -10 deg Celsius
    The bigger, the better.
    Freezers for household use from 1 m3 are sold in Russia
    We store there not only bread, but also fruits, vegetables, mushrooms and berries that we grow on the land ....
    Point 3
    Put the bread in a cellophane impermeable bag so that the air does not touch the bread ...
    Then put it in the freezer ...
    Paragraph 4
    Do you want to have fresh bread in the morning?
    Good...
    In the evening take out the frozen bread from the freezer, put it on the table ...
    At night he will fall ...
    In the morning you will eat fresh bread with milk and coffee.

Crispy crust...
    Delicious...

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is how we do it. On a trek I might take a little fresh bread with me, but I also take flour & bake my own on a hot rock in the fire.
    Keith.

DemaOpolo likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Stale bread, when I was young, became bread pudding. You just can't make it as good with bread that isn't stale. :-(

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For the most part, you are correct about American bread. In the Southern States, it used to be corn bread as the daily fare, i.e. not wheat. I like heavy bread. Bought a loaf of pumpernickel yesterday. My wife and I love the bread referred to as "Russian black bread" here in America. Her mother's father was Russian, mother Hungarian.

American folk who appreciate real bread have two choices: 1) Find a bread store -- these places do exist even in smaller towns; 2) Bake their own bread.

One doesn't keep bread already baked. One stores the desired grains in jars with oxygen-absorbing packs. These grains last a good long time -- at the very least through winter. When ready to bake bread, one uses a grinder to make meal, turn this into dough with your favorite ingredients, then bake in your oven or in a special bread-making oven.

https://melissaknorris.com/how-to-choose-a-flour-mill-grind-your-own-whole-wheat-flour/

https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...quzXAhVCNSYKHc8AAdcQ_AUICygC&biw=1154&bih=598

https://www.thespruce.com/best-bread-machines-to-buy-4092351

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...c.1.64.psy-ab..3.2.367...0i13k1.0.TEa4oFFpUtM

See if any of these recipes match what you are used to eating at home:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...Nd8KHXR_BIEQ_AUICSgA&biw=1154&bih=598&dpr=1.5

DemaOpolo likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think wheat grows well in the South. You are right, when I was a kid and we went to my Grandmothers we ate cornbread in several different forms and biscuits were common but "white" bread was a separate thing that was bought from the store and wasn't a regular thing. Cornbread comes in a lot of different shapes and forms. We always had a lot of corn based breads.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Turns out that cornbread and beans will keep a human alive indefinitely. Eat eggs, and that covers your B12 need. Between the corn and the beans, you get your amino acids. This is poor-folk food. You can always shoot something for pot meat. I loved squirrel gravy soaked into biscuits.

My paternal grandmother scavenged the woods for herbs that would become home-made medicines. Poke weed, sassafras tea, catnip tea, ... Her screened-in back porch had all manner of things hung up to dry.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We still eat beans, rice and corn bread a lot. Tomorrow we are having Mustard greens and cornbread. In the early summer it is purple hull peas and cornbread, In the winter it is vegetable soup and cornbread. Hoecake and stew, Hotwater cornbread and sweet potatoes. Cornbread and sweet milk for breakfast from the left over cornbread. I guess what you ate when you were a kid is comfort food as an adult. I never thought of us as poor but in retrospect I guess money was pretty tight. We ate a lot out of the garden and canned a lot. I guess that whatever we had we ate with the cornbread it made up a pretty large part of our diet.

Added a little later. I think the fact that I was raised eating relatively simple meals would make it easier for me to adapt to an 1800 type diet. I could easily live for a looooong time with 100 lbs of beans, 100lbs of rice, 100 pounds of cornmeal and a 5 gallon bucket of lard. Lean meats and greens are fairly simple to get and as long as you can find pine trees scurvy will never be a problem. I am often sort of amazed at the so called survival rations. I just don't need gormet foods to fill my belly and keep me going. I still like one pot meals and especially during the winter we eat a lot of those sorts of things.

The modern definition of "staples" is wildly different from what it was even just 50 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I tend to use unleavened bread or pittas, it behaves totally differently, takes up less space and lasts better then bread containing yeast. I eat a lot of North African, middle eastern and Mediterranean foods that compliment this kind of bread.
    I started eating it as a way off cutting the amount of butter and spreads that I ate in order to lose weight.....now it's my first choice.

9. DemaOpolo

DemaOpolo Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!
    You will be surprised, but I have never eaten "Russian black bread" in America ...
    Perhaps in your stores something like that is sold, similar to it ...
    But, even Russian emigrants always miss the "simple Russian black bread" ... They even cry, poor things ...
    This bread has nothing to do with European bread, including Hungarian ...

=============================================
    By the way ...
    I noticed a strange feature ...
    When I tell Americans at the forums about Russian food, they somehow believe that Russian and European products are one and the same ...
    ---------------
    But, in real life, the opposite is true!
    On the contrary - American and European food is prepared according to one principle
    Russian food is completely different!

10. DemaOpolo

DemaOpolo Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I will be interested in reading your messages on survival issues on the forum. Not only bread, of course ...
    As for me, on bread issues, in Russia, thank God, there is still natural bread ...

=================================
    corn and chemicals, of course put, in some varieties of bread ...
    This "bread" is very white, it is eaten by young people or lazy people ...
    But, the youth then grows up, then "gets the strap from the pope", they learn Life and start eating properly ....