Hudson Institute Offers A Defense Solution

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jul 30, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I believe the idea for this so-called "think tank" is to explain /translating technical things (including basic scientific fundamentals) to policy maker. Based upon my own experience interacting (explaining things) to Baby Boomer demographic from many parts of the world I strongly believe there is a serious need for such focus group.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

The US has a sophisticated political establishment. The policy-makers directly deal with the pertinent people.

Conceptually, I can understand why you think this.

If you ever met people who work at places like Hudson Institute ... not singling them out; the rest are about the same ... you'd see that they are, at best, academics, the useless otherwise unemployable.

watcherchris likes this.
  4. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I had to laugh....at this article...missiles...Wow.

It is not often advertised to the general public but one of the most dangerous weapons out there to an aircraft carrier is a submarine ..not missiles per se.

What makes it dangerous in the Persian Gulf and other such areas is that the navigable waters in the PG are very small..most of the PG is shallow..too shallow for a carrier or deep draft tankers except in certain areas. Hence missiles are very dangerous because of the lack of maneuverability room.

We sneak submarines into the PG all the time in the shadow of large takers. Occasionally one gets caught in a collision as happened a few years back. This is a very common technique for a submarine entering a shallow water area with little maneuvering room...and wishing to be unseen or unnoticed.

Most people have no idea how deadly todays submarines are to surface traffic...military or civilian should they get the order to turn them loose..

Anyone know how successful Israel has been with their tactics in using their new F 35 aircraft on strikes???

But how about those Kardashians.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    YES EXACTLY! It always baffle me when those outside naval warfare community keep talking about those scary AShM while the real threat that could actually sunk major surface combatant is HWT (Heavy Weight Torpedo). I'm not discounting the effectiveness of saturated AShM attack for mission kill, but sinking surface combatant you need to pour water in, not punching holes.

Its brand new platform that nobody has try before, but IMO the strike could use some refinement. And I believe the Israeli is currently doing so

watcherchris likes this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You do not have to sink an Aircraft Carrier.....you just have to figure out how to disable it...keep it from maneuvering and or launching and recovering it's aircraft...

Someone will be sending all kinds of aid to get the carrier out of there...

You can then pick them off at your leisure...provided you have the right tools.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

7. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

Have to agree on subs. Most don't realize there is more than 1 type of submarine. You mention modern submarines and everybody thinks of the strategic nuclear submarines seen on movies. That fast attack/tactical submarine built for sinking ships and other subs, is either not known or forgotten.

I would also think in an area such as the Persian Gulf, navel mines would be a constant worry for carriers. Especially the newer propelled warhead mines that are homing or aimed.

Dale

watcherchris likes this.
  8. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yup your correct Dalewick...and I have worked on both types here ...the ICBM Boomers as well as the fast attacks...

The fast attacks going back to the last two of the 637 class or Sturgeon class boats and then on to the Los Angeles class fast attacks...all of them which were built here...then on to todays Virginia Class boats.

Quite a bit of change has taken place from the Sturgeon class to todays Virginias.

That is how I know how dangerous a submarine is to surface ships...even to other submarines.

Modern mines are basically a type of torpedo.

Even todays versions of newer conventional submarines are very dangerous to surface ships....military and commercial both.

Oh..and four of our older Boomer ICBM type submarines have been converted to a type of arsenal ship with the ICBMs replaced by hundred plus Tomahawk cruise missiles.

Rather than decommissioning them they found a way to make them more useful...than as scrap metal.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Dalewick likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    And then there are the nuke mines that sit on the bottom. They pop-up to the correct depth when needed and the enemy carrier group within its kill perimeter.

watcherchris likes this.