Hunting Going On In My Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by watcherchris, Dec 2, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The other morning I opened some cans of cat food to feed the outdoor cats.

After feeding them I stayed with them to keep the neighbor cats from coming over and stealing the food.

These young cats are going to have to grow a pair if they are going to enjoy their food unchallenged.

Nonetheless..while waiting and watching over them , I leaned on the trunk of my car in the driveway.

Suddenly there was a tremendous ruckus in the tree branch overhead of my truck.

Looking up I recognized the wingspan of a large predatory bird...I saw the yellow of the underside of the wings as this Hawk grabbed a squirrel out of that tree limb ...got a good purchase and flew off with his breakfast.

It happened so suddenly I sort of stood there with my mouth open...in reaction.

Here was wildlife..in it's natural habitat..doing what wildlife does....real genuine wildlife.

It happened so rapidly and then it was over.

I knew the squirrels had been feeding above my truck for some time as they drop the debris/leaves on top of my truck...eaten acorn husks ..etc etc. I would take my leaf blower and clean my truck off from time to time...somewhat angry at how sloppy were these squirrels....litterbugs.

Well...they are short one now.

I am thinking that this Hawk will be returning when the opportunity comes again and the squirrels get distracted by a tasty meal..and stop looking up.

It was quite a show...rapid and violent....

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical, Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen both eagle and hawk do the streak of death on critters. Nothing matches the majesty of this. Saw a golden eagle nuke a rabbit -- the eagle was doing way over 100 miles per hour, then miraculously slowed at maybe 30 ft., wings wide open, talons forward, made the kill. As I passed in my truck its wings were wrapped around its prey. It was like being in a cathedral and having a choir of angels sing. The hair stood up on my arms.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I first moved here I will never forget the first time I saw a bald eagle swoop down to grab a rabbit on the road in front of me. I was in a truck and STILL felt intimidated as heck. that thing was freaking HUGE and at some primitive level he made me feel like I might be prey for a moment. You can see them in a zoo or sitting in a tree or even just flying but you don't truely understand what they are until you see that dive they make for a kill. They fall like a stone then at the last moment their wings flare wide and spread out and their legs drop down with those huge talons and make the grab. I swear at that moment he looked as big as me and those legs looked as big as mine as they dropped and the talons spreed out. Truly magnificent creatures.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have wood pigeons everywhere here, some squirrels, I have seen buzzards and hawks in the area. we sometimes hear Owls in the night.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There are no real apex predators in the UK any more. Probably the golden eagle and osprey are our largest raptors but they're not common.
    No wolves or bears anymore, unlike continental Europe.
    The adder is the only dangerous snake worth a mention and they're so shy that they pose very little risk.
    We live in an extremely gentle environment here in the UK.
    Having said that I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we get sparrow hawks and peregrine falcons. They may be much smaller but their aerobatics while hunting are very exciting to watch.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we do have wild boar and there are still Mink I think that escaped , they can be pretty vicious especially if your an angler that has just caught a fish!!

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  7. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The brown mink are pesky little sods but they're really easy to trap, strangely though it's almost impossible to make any money off the skins here in the UK.
    There are only the fishing clubs willing to pay for trapping them as a pest control measure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    had a friend back in the 60s who father bred them, walk past the pens and they'd throw themselves at the wire spitting at you, vicious things.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

10. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Most of the wild game gone , guns and ammunition severely restricted , I hope those in the UK have good farming dirt for when SHTF . I suppose those planning on surviving there are planning to basically be vegetarians . Surely those there have lots of canning jars and lids for them . Are those there planning to use regular lids or reusable lids ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    plenty of wild game left, just not apex predators, firearms and ammo are licenced not severely restricted, there are over 10,000 firearms in my county alone.
    don't sell Britain short, we may still have the ability to surprise you yet.;)

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    To my surprise..there are a lot of air guns/rifles used in the UK. Now researching this arena taught me that you can pay a lot of monies for a good air rifle. I was a bit stunned by this revelation. I had no idea that one could spend that much on an air rifle.

I have since purchased two air rifles..in .22 caliber. A Pump...and also a break away with barrels which can be switched and with this the calibers changed from .22 to .177.

My friend on the other end of my ham radio out west in Tennessee has a very expensive air rifle in .45 Caliber. His rifle ...you charge up an air bottle to store air...either by a pump or an air compressor.

The surprise to me was learning how much one can spend on an air rifle.

Further down the road ..but not a priority is an air rifle in .308 calibration.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I grew up with air rifles, they aren't licenced in England but I hear they are in Scotland.
    you can shoot most things with an air rile, obviously not deer but all small game can be taken with an air rifle.
    if the land is not your own you need the land owners permission.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear about the wild game and guns available in the UK , I was getting worried about you guys .

16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Scotland...Wow!!

Now lonewolf...that is your country and far be it for me to dictate what a sovereign nation does nor the laws it chooses to make.

But to me...and I hold our fake and phony leadership here to the same belief...

That if I cannot be trusted with a gun and or ammunition..I will never be trusted with a vote.

What is going on with Brexit is, to me, confirmation of my belief.

Also the same with what is going on in France..they too have a non representative government willing to put Frenchmen into involuntary servitude to foreign taxation...a Carbon Tax.

But that is how I think after being exposed to our Constitution and being taught by Elders learned in history.

I suppose a lot of this is what makes me a bloody Yank...and a proud one.

For those who know...what it is ...I am also below the Mason Dixon...and proud of this in particular.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Important to bear in mind that the UK has 3 devolved governments as well as the Westminster parliament, Scotland has chosen to licence all air rifles while those under 12 f/lbs being unlicensed in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Air rifles over 12 f/lbs in a whole range of calibers are available in the UK but are licenced as class 1 firearms, having said that they're much easier to get then centre fire rifles.
    Rimfire rifles and shotguns are very common in the countryside but less so in urban households.
    Lonewolf put it very well when he said there is "plenty of wild game""just not apex predators" I hunt and trap and I haven't had to buy meat in years.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Richard Earley and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its normally sea gulls at garbage sites over here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Here too lonewolf .but also around fast food parking lots hoping someone will feed them their left overs.

I've had them land on the hood of my vehicles looking longingly at my fast food and hoping I will roll down the window and give them some..

Then in appreciation they re land on my hood...squat and bless my vehicle.!!!!!

Lucky me!!!!

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Throughout Great Britain and continental Europe, AK47s and hand-grenades are readily available to Muslim gangs. If you gots the money, you gots the toy.

http://www.eutimes.net/2018/01/immi...ak-47s-bombs-grenades-and-bullet-proof-vests/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/9...guns-firearms-used-wars-smuggled-UK-gangsters

The above article will be grayed out, yet still readable if you do not allow this far-left news group track you with cookies. I was able to read the greyed-out information. The Big Brother government in Great Britain is embarrassed that the chains (firearm restrictions) with which they crush their own serfs have no effect on the violence levels of immigrant street gangs. British police are afraid to enter such neighborhoods unless in convoy or riding in armored vehicles.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/crime-police/ferrari-trump-is-right-there-are-no-go-areas-in-lo/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    criminals don't obey the rules only law abiding folk do.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The Big Brother government in Great Britain is embarrassed that the chains (firearm restrictions) with which they crush their own serfs have no effect on the violence levels of immigrant street gangs. British police are afraid to enter such neighborhoods unless in convoy or riding in armored vehicles.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/crime-police/ferrari-trump-is-right-there-are-no-go-areas-in-lo/

Oh...don't worry Olde Geezer...it is coming here as well...

It is already here in the big cities like Chicago and Detroit...Washington D C.

They do not trust their people to be armed and yet shootings are very common place in those cities.

And it will wax worse ...just as in the UK and other countries..Sweeden, France, Germany.

A lot of that news does not make it into our media because of a filtering MSM...ie...censoring/censorship.

All it is going to take is a leftist group or leftist getting back into the White House....and the rest of the nation will not be trusted to be armed....while others are allowed to go about armed to the hilt....two legged wildlife.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris