Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'Climate Change' started by Old Geezer, Oct 13, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Allow me to start a discussion of the aftermath of Hurricane Michael. Below, I have attached two videos that I thought gave a lot of information and visual documentation.

Hundreds of thousands are without power and without the ability to contact loved ones. If however you have heard from friends and relatives affected please respond to this post and tell us what they are saying.

The U.S. media has marked disdain for the southern states therefore updates are tapering off rapidly.

Where I live, north of the core destruction, we had already been visited by flooding so the remnants of the hurricane put creeks and rivers out of their banks yet again. We received some high winds. While driving up a major highway cut out of the side of a mountain, the winds pitched my SUV back and forth a bit -- I wasn't thrown out of my lane (I've been in a storm that almost tipped over my truck, that got my attention).

So send in your stories and images everybody. Major storms are going to be the norm. We went decades and decades wherein we were spared Mother Nature's worst, however we are back to normal mayhem it would appear. Cities have been built right in areas wherein destruction is the norm. Countries with low-lying cities are going to have these places removed by Earth forces.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane...storm-hit-florida-panhandle/story?id=58405200

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurric...describe-facing-hurricane-michael-2018-10-13/

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  3. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer,

As far as I am concerned the US Media have become a bunch of effete snobs...and reporting a social and political bias...not sticking to the news.

They are selectively reporting the news.

Another co worker woke me up to this pattern in the operation of the news networks back when CNN came about. He realized it and thus dubbed CNN as "Chicken Noodle News"

Time has proven him to be correct.

I noticed this bias and or slant when I became a short wave listener and caught news from foreign nations when they would broadcast in English.

I also learned to be wary of certain news outlets..foreign and domestic. BBC is one of them. Radio Moscow out of Havana was another...Radio Canada too. You listen to them and learn to think for yourself. Knowing some history helps as well.
    Radio South Africa, Radio Israel...etc etc etc.

But I have definitively noticed the bias in most of the media against the Southern States.

This is because they need this bias to fan the flames of manufactured racism/slavery they need to keep and maintain votes.

It is part of a Commercial Victimization Political process...for votes. So too is abortion...about votes.

Once you catch on you can see them coming.

One of the biggest insults often done by implication in the Media is the silent implication that New York, and California are all of America....the rest of America in particular the Southern States are flyover country.

I could give two hoots what the stars and Hollywood are doing....New York as well. I've been to New York City ...hate it...cant wait to get out of it if I have to go there.

Hell...Olde Geezer....Richmond, Virginia is to big and fast food lane for me.

However...there is a small glimmer of hope out here.

I am not a Kanye West fan...nor a fan of the Kardashians.

But I salute Kanye West for his independent thinking and desire not to go with the "Herd" and think as well as act for himself.
    Particularly his desire to step off the carefully manufactured racial leftist plantation....for votes.

I still have no use for the Kardashian women...nor their program.

But for Kanye.....I see a man willing to go his own way ..and not go with the "Herd" and their manufactured criticism, emotions, and or drama...and or the MSM too..all of them.

They need racism for votes and thus the need to stigmatize the Southern States back into a time warp as if it was still 1830 in the Southern States.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no use for any of the media these days. I loved the one that got caught on Florance being blown almost off his feet while a couple of young men casually strolled along behind him not being buffeted at all. Then there was the one that was filmed standing in waist deep water but someone took a picture from behind the camera man and the water as actually only about knee deep.

Over the next decades you are going to see more and more people killed in storms. Understand, when you sit in a frame house or trailer house with a category 4 or 5 coming at you that is suicide or you are just too stupid to live. A cat 4 or 5 hurricane is actually a monster F3 tornado. It can literally peal up the roads.

People used to have enough sense not to build on the ground on the coast. Now the idiots roll in mobile homes. New Orleans is sinking and the idiots rebuilt in the same holes that killed so many people during Katrina. If you chose to live in a hole that is 12 to 15 feet below sea level on the coast when a storm comes you RUN. If you stay I have no mercy on you. It is sick that the Government let them rebuild.

I was raised on the gulf Coast 6 feet above sea-level. My wife was raised only 3 feet above sea level. When a storm was working in the Gulf we were prepared to get the hell out if it came to us and was above a cat 3. My wife's familly kept their important papers and things in a big metal cooler so that if they had to run it was all already together.

The storms are not really all that much stronger than they used to be but the coasts are built up and now hundreds of thousands of people live where there used to be only hundreds. Lots of people had beach houses but very few LIVED there year around when I was young. Now those same areas are subdivisions filled with people that actually live there. It used to be that the only people that lived there were business owners. The Gulf Coast looks like the East Coast now with rows after rows of homes.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You are correct about that.

Many years ago I dated an older woman who's family was from a fishing village Sneads Ferry , North Carolina ...just below Camp Lejune at Jacksonville, North Carolina.

The long beaches below Sneads Ferry were mostly empty with a road paralleling the beach going for miles and miles. You would occasionally see a WW2 abandoned military coastal concrete watch tower along the beach.

Now it is mostly built up with beach homes and three story condominiums. A big storm is clearly going to take most of it away.

Some new homes are built up on pilings but I'm not sure that this will help in a big storm.
    The wind will just get under the pilings and lift the homes up..and or shred them....I am thinking.

Also Texdanm...I am thinking that many of the new construction standards are not as inherently heavy duty storm wise...as were the manner in which many homes were built in the 1930s and 1940s or so. They will not hold up as will some of the older homes.

This became apparent around here with tornado damage when this happened in a smaller town with both newer and older construction homes. You could tell the difference in the damage....new to older homes. The newer homes did not seem to hold up as well as did the older homes.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    On the Gulf Coast there are a lot of building laws for homes built here. The roofs are not stapled on they are nailed there with big headed roofing nails. The rafters are tied to the top plate with hurricane hangers. Those are metal connectors that make your roof more tightly connected to the building structure. The size of the rafters is sized different from homes built inland. My Dad was in the home building industry so I was raised in it. I've worked on a framing crew and done roofing. NONE of this does you any good if you get hit by a cat 4 or 5 storm though. Those monsters don't leave anything but the slab most of the time.

7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yup....agree ....cat 4 or 5 is a different beast.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A cat 1 through 3 are storms. Some wind a storm surge if you are on the coast and LOTS of rain. The cat 4 and 5 are basically tornadoes!! They throw cars around like beach balls and leave behind damage similar to carpet bombing. There is not really anyplace that is safe from them except a tornado level storm shelter. They rip metal building to shreds and then use that metal like a scythe in the wind. Only an idiot would sit on their porch and watch a twister come right at them and it is the same for a cat 4 or 5 hurricane. People just don't understand.

9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen that Hotel in Gulfport, Mississippi years ago when I was stationed at Keesler AFB, Mississippi for schooling and some three months after Hurricane Camille....a Cat 5 storm.

I speak of that hotel wherein people were having that famous Hurricane Party before getting washed away.

When I saw it ....it was all cleared away ...a concrete slab with concrete steps going up in the air to nothing but a concrete slab.

I also saw two freighters which did not manage to make it out to sea. They were up next to each other blown up on the beach..one upright and one on it's side. They were cut up and hauled away for scrap.

The guys who were there through the storm and still finishing up their schooling...spoke of going off base on clean up details to help the community and often removing bodies...smelly rotting bodies from under rubble and piles of trees etc etc. They would often, if possible, tie a rope to them and drag them out from under debris.

But they all told me that one of the most dangerous things about which one had to be aware was the number of snakes and other baddie nasty's looking for high and dry ground......ie...survival. You had to look carefully before entering a tight space...or walking about...you had to be very aware.

I should have known better but all the Hurricane flooding south of me in North Carolina this time...I was a bit stunned to see all the stranded fish when he flood waters receded. It was a large large amount of fish being washed off he highways...and road sides. A lot of big catfish in there.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember when I was living down near the coast one of the local TV stations went down to Galveston to cover the storm that was coming in. That storm did like Michael and blew up into a monster just before it came in. They got more than they had asked for. What I remember is that they brought their news van back on a trailer and parked it at a local shopping center. The wind with the salt water and sand had stripped that van to BARE metal and it was pitted all over like the skin on a golf ball. The glass looked like the obscure glass they use in bathroom doors.

The bad thing that we are having now is that for about ten years nobody got hit by storm. When that happens the damage is massive because the trees have not been hit for a long time and they go down in MASS. When Ike hit us there were three trees down between every pair of power line poles for almost a hundred miles. That is one of the times when it took them 6 weeks to get the power back on for everyone.