If you were attacked by a wild animal

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by remnant, Jul 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Preppers are exposed to all sorts of emergencies in the wild both external and situational. One of the least thought out aspects is the possibility of being attacked by a wild animal especially during the day. I mean the really dangerous ones like buffaloes and hyenas. It follows that the strategy you use to tackle such animals and timeliness will make all the difference.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Different animals in various situations can need different strategies. A pack of feral dogs are extremely dangerous, more so than a buffalo depending on the terrain. Climbing a tree will save you in most cases, but better to go well armed with a variety of weapons/tools. Try to avoid these animals in the first place if possible.
    Keith.

John Snort likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    My husband and I usually take a walk after dinner to aid in the digestion of food. On one such occasion about 2 blocks away, 2 dogs chased us. Fortunately my husband knew the trick. He knelt as if picking up a stone and the dogs backtracked. My husband said that dogs are naturally afraid of a weapon and a stone is also a weapon. In that same conversation, I suggested that we bring along a stick when we walk again so we can have a defense against those vicious dogs. He said that a walking stick is even effective not only in urban areas but also in the wild. It is a good defense against snakes and other predators. Even a wild boar would be stymied by a walking stick especially if that is a branch of a hard wood.

sunnytn likes this.
  4. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think a good weapon could really come in handy when you are in the wild. You never know what kind of wild animal you will encounter and it's best to have a weapon with you to help you tackle them. A gun or a set of bow and arrow could be the best weapons in chasing away big strong animals that you wouldn't want to tackle face-to-face. I think sharps are also important when you're in the wild but best of all, never panic when you are being attacked so you would jave a clear mind to think of a way of escaping an attack. :)

5. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If your in a place that has large and powerful animals you need a gun. If your somewhere where there are large dogs or something you might just need pepper spray or a stick. When your talking about buffalo or hyenas that's like something you need safari weapons for, I don't care what animal activist have to say if there are loins or hyenas walking around where I'm going I need a AK 47, I don't hunt but I want to stop any attackers dead in there tracks. The way I see it if the dangerous animals leave me alone I'll leave them alone and we'll have a nice day.

6. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Besides knowing to handle a fire arm and a blade for close encounters, there are not other ideal way to fight off an animal attacker. You can climb on a tree, jump onto water, make loud noises, etc. But every other alternative implies greater risk than just shoot at them or slash 'em.

7. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I heard a story of a man who was attacked by feral dogs. He ran to the nearest tree and scrambled up but whilst he was on his way up he grabbed a dry branch. It snapped and next thing he remembered was the dogs were waltzing all over him. He would have been killed had someone not heard his screams . . .

Animals that travel in packs are dangerous. Even if you are armed they could attack and kill you anyway, doesn't matter how many of them you kill. Learn to read animal tracks. This might save your life because if you know which animals you'll run into you could know what to do should they attack you.

8. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow this is so interesting, I wonder how you husband knew that haha. The TV show Cosmos said that prehistoric humans used fire to make animals scared, so this is a good idea too. Actually, when you think about it, it's even better because it can be used as a weapon and a torch at the same time haha

9. izacuson

izacuson New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Well it is pretty stupid to fight a wild animal because they're at least 5x stronger than a human being. But I would say pray for my mercy and call help.

10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Are you saying that a Grey Squirrel is 5X stronger than an adult human being???!!! Praying? Do you really believe that could save you?! Don't just stand there & shout, do something!
    Keith.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've killed and eaten squirrels, but I've also fed then. Once while sitting on my grandmother's front porch and trying to get a squirrel to come up on the porch, one of the little rascals jumped up on my leg. I was wearing shorts and he was digging in his claws. Oh man that hurt!!! My leg kicks up and the squirrel went flying.

You can't climb a tree to get away from a black bear. I've seen one go up a tree faster than a squirrel. Confronted by a black bear, hold your backpack up in the air and most bruins think you are a large whatever and lumber away (let's face it, black bears are lazy critters). If in Grizzly country, carry a bazooka. If not available, carry something .338 Winchester magnum or up. Talk to people who've been stationed in Alaska or read about what to do. I've never lived that far north.

While on our daily walks, I used to always put some handgun in my pocket to defend the wife and I. I'm getting so crippled-up that walking is no pleasure any more.

Birdshot cartridges out a revolver does create a doughnut pattern -- the rifling spins it into this toroid. Keep that in mind if you carry a revolver for snakes. Just yesterday I found some .38/.357 cartridges I'd put back and had forgotten where they were. I guess you could lead-up your barrel and see if that would tighten a bird-shot group. I've never tried that even after having leaded a barrel with soft bullets and too hot of loads; didn't think about doing so at the time. As an aside, use gas-checks on soft lead bullets, especially swaged lead.