I'm Interested In A Medical Reference Book....but Do Not Know The Title...

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by watcherchris, Jul 11, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm interested in a medical reference book....but do not know the title...

I am interested in getting a hard copy of a Medical Reference book but do not know what the title would be.

Mayhap some members here with more medical background can help me with the correct title of this book I want for my private library and I figure it would be a good reference book to keep around next to a Dictionary and other such references.

This is a book describing medicines ....recommended doses...what it does....side effects.....and other information of such nature.

I just do not know what the title or such an reference book is but figure it would be a good thing to keep on hand in a hard copy and not be totally dependent on the web for such information should the web or electricity go out.

Can any of the members here tell me what the title of this reference medical book is such that I can get a copy for my private library???

Inquiring minds but not an Ishmaelite,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Been putting this reference book off for way too long...and decided to get off my donkey and do the research and find out how to acquire one ...beginning with the correct title.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "The Merck Manual" is one of the better known.

However when I was doing research to provide information to teaching physicians, I never used the Merck Manual. Medical library personnel will guide you. Seems you gotta be there in person. :mad: I spent decades in that world, but after retirement, was told by a major medical library that I couldn't use then online (had done so for years while doing work for that University and its Medical School)!

Have always had an up-to-date Merck manual ... back decades ago. Last few decades used other sources.

Speaking of up-to-date. There is an online source called Up To Date. You'll have to get a subscription.

https://sso.uptodate.com/contents/search#!

I've used PubMed for decades. It will give you an abstract, point to source, but not allow full access. Again, to get full articles from providers, you will have to subscribe = $$ big bucks $$. My subscriptions were paid for. Me, now that I'm retired, I no longer have that access. I've a library in my head now, so I don't miss that. Plus, I'm retired. That was then. This is now.

Your tax dollars may fund PubMed, but that doesn't mean that you can access its sources. PubMed allows one to perform strict Boolean queries ... thus, my love for it. I can write Boolean search strings behind my back, blindfolded.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

In addition to these sources, there are dozens upon dozens more that are excellent.

There's Google Scholar Medical
    https://guides.library.jhu.edu/c.php?g=202505&p=7742997

--------------------------------

But here is the deal, unless you know Medicalese / think / speak in medical jargon, then the raw info will not help you. I had to have lots of education (to include a Masters in a medical field; plus the electronics degree thingy) to begin to understand all of this sh##. Add to that, decades of working with teaching physicians who, outside medical schools, were ongoing practitioners. The changes over time will swamp your mind! I had to keep up with electronics innovations AND medical updates. In addition to gastric ulcers (multiple, bleeding), I think I developed brain hemorrhoids! Retiring has been an OVERWHELMING challenge. Last night (and many nights), I had (have) bad dreams about being back in a software/hardware development center. This crap has screwed-up my mind.

Just do web searches. I use search engines other than Google, if possible. PubMed I use to get abstracts. If I ever need to physically go to a med school library, I will. Tell you the truth, I'm burnt-out. Too many decades. I've got physicians I can email for a quick question. My current personal physicians are great -- really are -- can ask them questions online or in-office. Too, I will walk up to my pharmacists and talk using medical jargon. They get it that I get it. Man, I tell you what, young open-minded pharmacists will give you the REAL low-down on medications.

My advice to anyone is to find competent physicians and pharmacists who will talk to you openly, while respecting you. Know this, medicine is perpetually evolving.

Know also that many physicians out there are incompetent. Sorry, but this is true.

Some older practitioners (not all!) haven't kept up and many new physicians are less than qualified due to the dumbing-down of medical education so as to graduate minority students. I hate to say this. Why? Because I have seen SUPERB minority students and residents!!! Superb! Right now I'm thinking of two physicians who are of African ancestry and who are the best-of-the-best physicians -- way past smart. I've known MANY who were qualified and then some. So, you'll never hear me put down all of these folk. "The proof is in the pudding." If someone is qualified, then that's THE reality, no matter from where they come. Once, I was part of disqualifying a resident from practice. He was a white guy. There are NO absolute rules. Test and observe. Your own biases are just that -- only trust MANY observations. Any small pool of test subjects is worthless -- maybe even worse than worthless. Quality Control 101

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'll stick to my British first aid manual, I'm not medically trained and maybe too much knowledge in this case may be harmful.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Never give a medical text that mainly concerns disease symptoms to a hypochondriac. Else, the next week, they will have a brain tumor and irritable bowel syndrome.

Once upon a time, I really disliked a fellow at work. He was a hypochondriac (had a really bad case of anxiety neurosis). I gave him an older Merck Manual of mine. I used to have a really wide streak of mean in me. Hurting people you hate feels good. Such tendencies one must fight. Not good at all for the soul.

Another thing about medical texts is that you have to understand the terminology to read them. One can't just "come up to speed" on the medical lingo in a month or so. The world of medicine can be thought of as another country. And headache medicine side-effects include headache. Human physiology with all of its feedback loops and near-infinite interactions is just a royal pain for one's brain. Medications improperly prescribed/used can be like pouring BBs into a car's transmission.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ok....I found out the name of the book and have one on order..2023 Edition.

It is called "The Physicians Desk Reference...or PDR for short.

Look forward to reading it and putting it on my shelf for reference material.

I am given to understand much of it can be found on line...but I want something not dependent on electricity...

I learned this with my fancy lazy boy....electric controls.....even a outlet for charging my cell phone....

But when the electricity goes out you have nothing..not even a manual override....your stuck.

I've been around long enough to believe in manual overrides and not be totally dependent on electricity ...even computers.

It is my way....

Oh...don't get me wrong....technology is nice...even wonderful...but know how to do certain "Manual Overrides" when necessary. This Physicians Desk Reference Book is a type of manual override to me.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The PDR is sort'a-kind'a OK for referencing medications. However, that's all. Nothing more.

I've used it for the purposes therein.

You need LOTs more. The topic is vastly too wide for more, save that one has an advanced degree & practice in the medical realm.

Again, the med. realm is another planet, same species.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Agree and that is my main reason for obtaining one....medicinal references....medications.

Also agree on the topic being vast.....Vast.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.