Instant Noodles Home Dining Due Quarantine

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 11, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.scmp.com/business/compa...s-soar-hong-kong-china-people-stocked-instant

Good morning all,

Per ...

It's a Hong Kong article but similar here at the other former Br colonies.

Instant noodles, both the cellophane and cup varieties, are popular here. I mastered how to prepare both package types.

Admittedly, cannot distinguish "premium instant noodles" from the no-frills, no fringe on top, non-premium noodles. Am consigned to shrimp fried rice and a large Tsingtao brew.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think here we would go with Ramen Noodles. You can't find anything cheaper. Throw a package in with a can of soup, and you double the portion. Every college kid on the planet who isn't living at home lives on them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    The difference between Premium, regular, and economy is typically ranging from the seasoning directly on the noodle or from the included seasoning, ingredients, etc

Example of Premium :

f1fb3de77434ab61718848292c5b6434.jpeg

Example of Regular :

f1fb3de77434ab61718848292c5b6434.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Curiously back during my college days, it was rare for me to consuming them. However these days those Premium Instant Noodle has become part of my food kit. I've included them mostly due to the amount of Calorie / gram rather than being healthy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the dry foods we put back is noodles. One can get a whole lot of macaroni mini noodles in a quart jar -- just toss in a couple of O2 absorbers (use a piece of card-paper or wax paper so that the O2 absorber pack w/n touch the food) and seal the lid. I've got at least one case of these noodle-quarts. Got a whole lot more rice, but we love noodles. My wife put back a bunch of home-made spaghetti sauce made with tomatoes grown in our garden.

Rebecca, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Admittedly, I'm a slow learner. I understand the manufacturing difference but still cannot distinguish the difference.

I guess it's that I lump all the cellophane-packed noodles and those in the Styrofoam cup as one broad category.

My comparison is with my owned prepared rice and a beer. Tree nuts accompany every meal plus serve as a snack.

Don't remember the actual specifics but those above pictured noodles were available at that large Asian grocery store south of here in the big city. It's the place I get my packs of Kupiko Cappuccino candy from JKT.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Packaging isn't what differ between Premium or Regular let alone the Economy. In most case you need to actually try them. For example is Nissin brand typically came in more expensive packaging however their content is more of Regular than Premium (a real blunder decision by Nissin). The easiest way to tell the difference if you don't want to try eat them all is to check what included. If they include real wet seasoning & ingredients rather than dehydrated or powdered than it is typically Premium

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

I completely understand.

My 2 "concerns" are that real wet seasoning does not store as well as the dehydrated and powdered seasonings. Plus, number 2 concern - is - the packaging for storage and transport as part of my kit. Just can't accommodate a Styrofoam cup/bowl of noodles for traveling by paws and hoofs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    In tropical environment (without any air conditioner) they are good for over a year.

This is my last year 24h kit (for mobility), the bottom left is Premium Instant Noodle. My current kit is still work in progress due to my health condition and this great plague change everything

08729fc1382f02100001a61470a8e5d7.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

I'll be loading a cargo drone for loads of Good Day brand cappuccino and Mocafrio !

Snickers brand chocolate bar is OK - speaking from a Prepper perspective - but there is a vast selection of same/similar size chocolate bars with more "chocolate" to the bar and with much sturdier packaging.

Ditto; health ailments have to be factored in to my food selections. A major food for me for all meals is tree nuts. They are expensive relative to non-tree nuts like peanuts (actually a legume) but extremely economical when compared to RX pharma. It is one of the best foods for prostrate maintenance.

Besides the atmospheric conditions of the tropics - summers in eastern Virginia, less the hurricanes, are similar to Chad, north central Africa. Food packaging must be anti-bug.

Here, my mobilization food is for 3 days, 2 nights (72 hours) for travel. This incorporates a margin for the usual unexpected but really expected.

One major aspect not mentioned in this thread - involves me also - is discussing cost. Not mentioning this is like US Government officials telling of something being better than something else - but cost is not mentioned or even hinted at. Some of the best chocolates for emergency loadouts are expensive.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm open for any alternative other than Snickers because I don't like the stickiness of Snicker in my throat, unfortunately I still haven't found another alternative that could provide the same Calorie density and can be eaten on the move (doesn't need to be chocolate bar)

Those 24h kit of mine will be scale up quantitatively up to 96 hour and goes into the duffel bag along with clothing articles. I still use a backpack (an Assault pack actually) but only critical electronics, paper documents, and IFAK + medicines goes there. In case of actual need for bugging out I will carry a duffel bag, messenger bag, along with assault pack. But than again during this time of great plague I don't have anywhere else to go either.

I even began to consider for breaking up the standard issue combat ration kit to complement the supermarket items. Each of the main course of the standard issue kit pack a lot of Calorie for their weight

My kit is very affordable even if I add pocket stove + 8x 15g hexamine tablets for each 24h kit (which is something I'm planning to do). Nonetheless I do in need of alternative of chocolate bar or energy bar other than Snickers

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Ref the chocolate bars; it's a local research item. All brand names are not the same amounts of ingredients due to the different markets. Think of the world famous beers; all their exports do not have the same amount of carbonation. Some British and Italian chocolates here are definitely inferior to their exports to Hong Kong market.

I've got a similar kit setup but with additional load carrying containers to switch from traditional field gear to airport style/business style as per what my immediate situation dictates.

All my paper documents are actually next to me. On top of a T-shirt, material, sleeves for the environment, and under regular field shirt, is a cargo vest with passport, medical records, a couple of Yen notes, a couple of $US notes, my business cards, my contacts' business cards, related.

Again, the chocolate bar is R&D locally. Much browsing at mall stores, hotel shops, airport shops. I would not substitute a chocolate bar to the energy bar as an equivalent. Chocolate has the caffeine. The energy bar might not depending on specifics of bar brand.

I am now in the mood for my own field-prepared shrimp fried rice and a V-8 spicy vegetable juice. The Harbin beer imported here is for the US market and it is atrocious: about 48% bubbles, 48% water and a slight hint of alcohol. The original Russian pever/beer from Harbin, China is refreshing and like a real Russian brew. Times change.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Another concern with chocolate bar (not the energy bar) is they melt away too easy in tropical environment :( I kept half of my food prep in non air conditioning room (all inside duffel bag) the humidity here (where I currently wrote this) is between 85% - 95% with temperature at least 30°C - 35°C

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived on either Ramen or rice for more days than I can remember. We used to harvest anything edible while on patrols or break in areas we could catch meat (prawns, fish, shrimp, etc.) and when we could stop for chow, we cooked what we had with either Ramen or rice. We substituted MRE or C-Rats for fresh ingredients when they weren't available. On long patrols it was easier to forage for food than to try and carry everything you needed and foraging was safer than locating and approaching a cache.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

During the Vietnam War, we were issued Hershey's brand "Tropical Bars". They were made not to melt nor compete with Belgium chocolates or Whitman's Sampler box of mixed chocolates. Tropical bars were nicknamed "chocolate-flavored candles".

Today, there are some chocolate bars that fare better than others in hot weather. Much research required. I put much time in study of the chocolate bar's packaging. My preference is for wrapper made of combination plastic and aluminum.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  18. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Up until 30 yo I could also lived the same, heck I even substitute snake blood for drinking water. Unfortunately I'm no longer 30's and health problem began to kick in :(. Which is why I only put single portion of instant noodle in my 24h kit because I also have difficulty with instant noodle :(.
    These days I even put elevation limit at 8000 feet (typical airline cabin pressure during cruising) because I no longer able to handle low pressure :(.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      Fully understand. I like the saying "Time is like a tiger, stalking us through life." I wish I had taken better care of my body when I was young. All those injuries take a tole now.

Dalewick, May 15, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I cant stand noodles!
    if I pack food it will be the camping meal packs which can be eaten cold or warmed up over an open fire or simple stove, which I have used many times before and know the quality. I can order the type of food I like and ignore the ones I don't(anything spicy or peppered).
    they weigh very little and don't take up much room in a back pack.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.