Is grass edible in a emergency?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Arctic21, Jul 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Do not eat grass.

Eat animals that eat grass.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Some grasses are edible but they must be cooked in order for humans to be able to break down and digest the plant cellulose.
    Roots of certain grasses are far more nutritious than the green tops..for example, the roots of bull rushes or cattails are full of starch but again they need to be cooked first to allow us to digest them efficiently.
    As a general rule of thumb you should be cautious when trying unfamiliar foods, even if it isn't toxic it may disagree with you because it isn't cooked properly, you're allergic or simply unused to it.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    trying to eat grasses is not really possible for humans, whilst like Ystranc says some types of grasses may be edible if cooked you need to identify which these are from the rest, most grasses just bulk up and fill the stomach but give no sustenance, you have to be a cow with several stomachs to regurgitate and "chew the cud" to be able to eat grass.
    I think eating grass would be when you've run out of all other options and you probably wont survive long on grass.

4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Eating grass is starving to death with a full stomach. Like eating celery, you will burn more calories than you gain. It is doable but not beneficial. JM2c

wally likes this.
  5. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, a lot of folks around here seem to like the taste of bullshit...

wally, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      ROFLOL!

Dalewick, Jun 5, 2020
      wally likes this.
  6. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Just to clarify, wheat is a grass...barley is a grass...oats are a grass. Some grasses are usefull while others may do more harm than good.

1. TMT Tactical
      Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to understand your earlier post.

TMT Tactical, Jun 5, 2020
      wally likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and wally like this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    No such thing as a weed. Only plants that you may not want growing in certain areas. Many consider plants like dandelion, ferns, ramps and more weeds. They are very edible and when cooked right palatable. There are over 11,400 different species of grass in the world and as previously mentioned some of them are staples in our diets. (wheat, rice, oats, bamboo, etc. ) and others are used for flavoring (lemon grass, rye, barley).

As a kid I remember eating the young shoots of wheat grass while out in the fields working or hunting. I liked the taste and it filled my stomach until something better was available.

I still like the taste.

Dale

9. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Sugar cane ?

"Sweeten my coffee with ... "

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  10. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm writing this while drinking sugar cane juice. The stall is just outside my gate :D:p

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.