I've Decided On A .308 Build

Discussion in 'Guns' started by GS AutoTech, Aug 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I've had personal struggles deciding between .223 & .308.
    I have found the pro's and con's in both calibers. I've worked back & forth, and say what you like, there is utility in .223.
    General purpose, defense, ammo ( weight, capacity & availability ), hunting, etc. On top of that, all in my group can easily handle the round with relative comfort & confidence.
    I'm certainly not above "bigger is better" kinda thought along with the general arousal brought by a bigger round. Lol.
    I do want to enhance my own marksmanship & I feel the pull of the .308 appeals to that end. I know there are newer more fancy & expensive options for pure ballistic bliss. But the 308 is a proven long standing round that still can fill all the other rolls demanded by SHTF situations.
    So I'm building an autoloading 308. To enhance my defence capabilities, further my marksmanship skills, and fulfill the desire.. ;)

2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's what I've lusted for:

M1A™ SOCOM 16. 7.62NATO
    and the SOCOM 16 CQB 7.62NATO

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

Oh by the way, I'm royally bigoted towards the M14-type battle rifle. Long story.

I also like the FN FAL battle rifles in 7.62NATO.

Here's a Lincoln Continental:
    https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-scar-17s/

I don't know if the above rifle would feel right for me. Doesn't look like it.

I bet the following puppy is accurate ... but lord-lord, it's as fugly as fugly gets:
    https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fnar-competition/

Concerning the above, I guess a man could take the above psychotic blue rifle (what were they thinking?!) and simply paint it flat black using wood-burning stove paint (this paint will take as much thermal heat as a stove can deliver and not blister).

I like the old FN FAL designs. Back 25 - 30 yr ago, I could have picked up an Argentine w/metric receiver, for $350. Didn't have the money, parent poor and such.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's a teeny tiny "assault rifle" I'd like to try out in .22 mag.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/pump-action-octagon-rifle/

Don't laugh at the .22 mag! OK, so it can't dig deep, however, the .22 mag. does horrific tissue damage. Mag hollow points are nasty about ruining meat. I've had several rifles and handguns in .22 mag. Years ago, rabbit getting in my garden, shot it with a .22 mag rifle, the hydrostatic shock literally turned the rabbit inside-out. It's got 300 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle & more energy than a .22 LR at 100yrds. Louder that LR however still no boomer like a center-fire any-cal.

In a SHTF situation, this is an excellent poaching rifle; will canoe a deer's head / blow vertebrae out its spine.

The .22 mag. is a real dog-killer for 40 pounds and under.

I put a laser on one .22 mag rifle = point and fire. Fun to shoot!

Have Rossi pumps in .22 and .22 mag -- they are the cutest things! My wife loves them. Copy of Winchester 1895 gallery rifle. Hold the trigger and pump = blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam = fast as a semi-auto.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Wait m14 are going on sale agaun ! The shipment is due and will be released soon !! Watch cmp listings and other sale sites cmp should have most of them

5. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I really like FN, although some of those prices are certainly prohibitive. So I'm going AR10 platform & building it myself. I'm becoming an amateur Smith. Adding another skill set.
    Get my feet wet with .308/7.62 & see what I can go from there.

Old Geezer likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Myfriend has a ar10 its ok

GS AutoTech likes this.
  7. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm fully aware that a straight bolt gun is the best. The auto loader AR10 adds a defensive & utility edge while it does sacrifice a portion of the total ballistic capabilities.
    I gotta start somewhere & building is fun.

8. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    The FN SCAR 17 is certainly top shelf in the auto loading battle class of rifles. But the price, phew. If I can do half as good at a third of that cost I'd be tickled. ;)

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seriously considered a Ruger mini 30. The 7.62 X 39 is ballisticly similar to a 30-30 and since we don't have bears or mountain lions here that is plenty for my needs. I've just never much cared for the Mattel look of the AR rifles. My Mini 14 had a steel butt plate on it so if I butt stroke someone with it they went down. This is just a matter of personal preference. I ran a Heckler and Kotch 91 in 308 and liked it real well. Somehow it seemed to totally tame the .308 and I didn't notice it having any more recoil than the Mini 14 shooting the .223. which was basically none.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Over the years, firearms writers have said that the 7.62x39 is the better choice in caliber for this Ruger semiauto. The .223 was never noted for being accurate in this particular Ruger rifle.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-mini-thirty-alternative-ak/

https://www.google.com/search?sourc....1.64.psy-ab..0.22.2719...0i131k1.ic0RtF8xRxQ

11. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    The easy handling / low recoil of the 223 AR is perfect for my kids. It's effective enough to make my mini platoon a respectable force. 4 or 5 223's laying cover is nothing to sneeze at.
    The aspect of sex appeal we could debate over well past TEOTWAWKI! LOL
    There are tons of arms that are adequate to excellent utility & can be plain Jane to Butt ugly. Others are Dead Sexy & not as practical. You get the point.
    I pray I never need to use my rifle as a club.
    The next part of this build will be barrel selection. 18 or 20" & 4150v ( with or without chrome ) or SS?

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My mini 14 is a great rifle it works better than a ar15 with less jams and us a very accurate rifle love mine

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My mini 14 is a great rifle it works better than a ar15 with less jams and us a very accurate rifle love mine

14. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:

15. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    223 rounds bilions out there 30cal round is gettin rare

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The problem is not about popularity. Unfortunately for the American warrior the decisions on what ammo and loadings are used is mostly politically and financially motivated rather than what is actually the BEST weapon. As a survivalist defending myself and family I'm not constrained by any of these problems.

There are indeed billions of rounds of military FMJ ball ammunition out there but if you think that this is because that is the BEST stuff for defending yourself you are very misinformed. We are not fighting a war. We don't care about wounding as many people as possible. We want them to stop trying to hurt us NOW and preferably permanently. Also other than the Nato nations, most of the world is still going 30 cal and we suffer from that. The AK in 7.62 x 39 is ballisticly superior in almost every way over the 5.56 x 45. I will admit though that the 223 is a great long distance varmint round for critters that weigh under 15 or 20 pounds.

I never had any complaints about the accuracy of my Mini 14. I wasn't shooting match grade ammo and as far as that goes I never looked at it as a target rifle. For the purpose of a rifle that you plan on using for self defense or assault there really isn't much difference between a 4" group at 100 yards and a 1" group on a weapon that is primarily a high volume weapon that is going to put a lot of lead in the air. If I want a tack driver I go bolt action with a scope. To me a scope on an "assault" rifle is a little crazy.

I like the 7.62 X 51 it has a power that you need in a real battle rifle that you just don't get from either the 5.56 X 45 or the 7.62 X 39. What people don't always grasp is that the three primary NATO infantry rounds are each designed with different strengths and weaknesses and in the end were not chosen for the same reasons that a civilian would use. The 9mm is used in sub machine guns and is used mostly in urban situations for sweeping a room or street. Accuracy is almost totally unimportant. this isn't a weapon used when you need pin point accuracy. I don't care much for these but on the other hand would like them in a 45 ACP.

The 5.56 and the 7.62 X 39 were and are assault rounds intended to created maximum casualties in jungles and places where you are primarily shooting 100 meters or less. It isn't that these rounds can't shoot farther than that it is just that they start getting pretty weak out there and also since they are full auto capable their long range accuracy goes down hill real fast after the barrel has been burnt by a few dozen mags run through on full auto.

The 7.62 x 51 is a killer based on the balistics of the old 30-06 but put into a shorter case so it will function better in automatic weapons pure and simple. This was the weapon of choice when we fought wars with the intention of killing the enemy until they surrendered. If you will look at our history you can see the change and its results. We just can't seem to win and end a war anymore. This is a change in political aims and not about arming our military with the best weapons possible. Anyway, the 7.62 x 51 is used as a heavy long distance weapon in both the M60 and the M14. The M14 was not at its best in Vietnam but is seeing a bit of a resurgence in the middle east where it's ability to reach out to 300 yards and make kills is again being appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017