Just How Ready And Prepared Are You?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by ShuswapViking, Nov 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    From taking a short trip to the store to a month long camping trip... Just how prepared are you? We all think..... It could never happen to me.... I'm sure a lot of murder, rape and disaster victims thought the same thing a day before TSHTF!!!!

Personally, I carry a tactical knife and a basic first aid/CPR kit 24/7, which I do from years of experience.
    The knife I use for self defence (trained in Krav Mega), cutting seatbelts and breaking car windows, starting fires etc.... The first aid kit is pretty self explanatory, but to streamline it is the real survival trick.(mine fits into my cargo pocket in my pants and can save me from bug bites to torn arteries....

What do you carry on a daily basis?

Prairie Dog likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    an EDC carry is a lot different to our level of preparedness.

3. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, but our EDC should be synonymous with our LTP. When we leave the house.... we may not return.... are we prepared? This includes mental and physical preparedness. Do we know first aid? Do we know what to do in a hostage situation, natural disaster, where to go, what to do, etc...

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a GHB which is kept in the vehicle at all times.

ShuswapViking likes this.
  5. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    That is good practice. It makes sense and is a lot smaller and lighter than a Bug Out. What all do you have in your GHB?

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    2 foil blankets, 2 disposable lighters, flashlight and batteries, 1 lock knife, 1 sawyer mini water filter, 1 spark striker, 2 light sticks, 1 dust mask, 1 mini sharpening stone, field first aid kit, 1 shelter/basha, compass, water canteen,folding saw, and paper maps of every area I visit. apart from the last 4 items all kept in what we call a "bum" bag, that's a small bag that ties around the waist. there is usually trail mix bars or a candy bar or two in the vehicle, if we go further afield I carry a separate bag with 7 days worth of dehydrated food pouches.

Prairie Dog and ShuswapViking like this.
  7. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Sounds very much like the kit that I carry, one lot in my car and the same in my jeep,plus a wind and waterproof jacket and a comprehensive medical kit (old habits die hard being a retired medic) in each
    vehicle. I use a multi pocketed "bum"bag available in the UK from Uttings.com for about £20.

ShuswapViking likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I picked up my "bum" bag at a car boot sale for a more meagre sum!

9. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Apart from my usual items, I've been pretty stoked with the MRE's I got from Meal Kit Supply.com WOW!!! Such a tasty, self-heating meal, way better than my rat-pack days of 25km marches. I carry enough in my car and kayak for at least a week without having to hunt or fish and they are super light, with lots of meal options, 3 courses in one pack!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have a get home bag, but I can't remember what I put in it now. We take it if we are travelling, which is not very often. Day to day I am always here on the property so carry very little in my pockets. If I go further into the forest for any reason, then I have my trekking gear for a long trip.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  11. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I have a full bob in my vehicle at all times which includes shelter material, inside that bob is a smaller pack I could grab and go if I had to bail from my vehicle but had to move fast. It contains basic fire starting, a katydyn water filtration pump, camelback, fixed blade knife, chainsaw, 20 m of 550 cord. A few energy bars rotate through it along with gorp.
    Prairie Dog

12. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

13. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Given that I spend every day mostly on my property (hard not to if you're trying to be self sufficient) I can say that I don't really carry much as I don't have to. For the most part I just carry my multi-tool as it always comes in handy when I need to fix something in a pinch, rather than having to run back to the workshop and grab my tools.

Otherwise, the only other place I'd go is out into the woods for a hike. In that case, I just carry standard gear like my multi-tool, a pocket knife, a large bottle of water, and some lunch all in my rucksack. I'm going to be adding a first aid kit to it because I just realized how stupid I am for not having done so sooner.