Kukri Customized

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sekelbos, Mar 26, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    2 after.JPG

3.JPG

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    ...anybody else that use a Kukri..?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have used my kukri to clear several acres of thick briars , then trimmed lower limbs off trees on those same acres to turn an growed up piece of property into an attractive property . I have people coming by just to look at it especially during the fall of the year . My kukri is a well made and extremely good cutting knife .

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Kukri is one of the best all-around tools for a camper or survivor. By doing a variable grind sharpening you can do nearly anything with one. It is a machete, a hatchet, a draw knife, you can slice and dice with it and use the end as an Ulu AND it is a deadly fighting knife.

I like the shape of your handle the traditional handle never was very comfortable to me.

5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a good place to ask the question: Bowie or Kukri? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which one do you prefer?

Sekelbos: You just posted two threads; one with a beautiful Bowie, and the second with a beautiful Kukri. Do you carry and use both?

I don't have, and have never used, a Kukri, so I have no experience with one.

TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  6. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    My kukri is a more inexpensive knife compared to my Bowies, and as such are used more...

The kukri is more of a heavier robust chopper camp knife [with a much thicker blade !], while with my Bowie I have more self defense, all rounder and lighter chopping in mind, though in a pinch ,both will do quite well....

The kukri will definitely out-chop the Bowie in my opinion and in that department will fill the role of a small ax or hatchet better than the Bowie.

I would say again its horses for courses..

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

Good call. Are there any brands you would recommend? What makes one better than another? Price Range in US $ if you know?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
    We have a local business that import the different [BLADE LENGTH] kukri knives directly from 'The house of kukri-Nepal' .
    They seem to be the best quality kukris around here.
    [There are many cheap knock-offs from many countries going around there as well]
    It is best to have it in your hands and inspect it firsthand as the fit is sometimes slightly off.
    The average kukri is not very expensive as compared to a Bowie.
    I bought mine about 10 years back for about $ 50 and though it is used well, I still have no problem with it.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. sekelbos

87/115

Blog Posts:
  10. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I also have never owned or used a Kukri, though I am interested in them. I just worry about getting a quality blade and with so many inferior copycats out there, I have just stuck with my KBars. They have never let me down.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Exactly what a "Bowie" knife is shaped like covers a huge range of shapes. The one constant is the clip point that is simisharp on the relieves clip side. A lot of what some people call a bowie we call Arkansas toothpicks. that is when the clip on the back is a lot longer than typical Bowies.

I like both real well but the Kukri has several fetures that a normal Bowie lacks. The edge geometry of a lot of kukris is variable makigit able to both chop wood and still slill slice and dice effectivly. Most Bowies have a straingh edge many with a hollow grind. The shape of the Kukri makes it a great chopper because the bend in it adds a sclicing effect to the chopping motion.

I have seen some Bowie type knives with a somewhat larger end than at the waist and they have many of theadvantages of the Kukri. I think that basically the bowie was a camp knife that they added some weight and length to that made it into a fighting knife. The Kukri was a tool somewhat like a scythe that they sort of cut down to make it into a fighting tool.

In the end they both are great heavy knives for a combination of uses both practical and offensive.

I have a new Kukri on the way. It has a a 12" D2 blade and is 17.5" over all. It is sort of pretty but I wanted to try it for rough use. We will see. The price is right if the temper is good it should make a good chopper.

081ab37d0c35a1249713a94a6fa3c107.jpeg

Morgan101, sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.