Learn How To Cook Low Cost Meals

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by John Snort, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    This is but part of preparing for the worst.

Odds are when disaster does strike you'll have to cook all your meals from scratch and there's a high likelihood that food you wouldn't eat in normal times might be the only food available. Since you'll have to eat whatever food is available, the earlier you start learning how to cook it and "accustom" yourself to it's taste the less stressful life will be for you.

2. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Cooking is a life-hack in the first place, and surprisingly in first world counries not many people are comfortable enough in the kitchen to make something from scratch. By having these skills you can make even the most decadent dry-packed food delicious.

However, blindly accumulating recipes won't cut it. As long as you get the hang of the basic principles of why you do each little culinary process to make a dish, then it's much easier to adapt your recipes and use your knowledge to make your own new applications on anything mildly edible that you can find.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Cooking can be a very enjoyable way to spend time. It can heal relationships and bring people together. And it helps out on the budget a lot! It is very satisfying, to turn out a really good meal that everyone enjoys. One of my favorite things to do.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    There's really no excuse for not learning cooking, it's a skill that you will use - and benefit from - even if you never have to go through an emergency or disaster. That said, I have to admit I only learned serious cooking (=things more complicated than boiling potatoes) after I started my studies and lived on my own for the first time. I lived in a dorm for my entire studies and I remember that some people (guess which gender they belong to? ;)) didn't knew how to make a serious meal even after five years. That's really a way to remain lazy!

5. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly some Soy sauce goes a very long way, and vinegar actually.

I may have kilos of rice, but tying to live off supplies for just 3 days was living hell, because I just boiled the rice, served the lentils, and my only treat at all was in the form of a scoop of peanuts each evening. Now I've learnt to cook a bit better, I think I'd be much better prepared mentally.

6. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I make everything from scratch for my family. My grandma taught me to cook, so it's all hands and cast iron over here. I haven't eaten a store bought biscuit in years and kids never have.... at home, at least.

7. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't have the time or inclination to cook everything from scratch, but I do cook a lot of things from scratch and I'm constantly developing my cooking knowledge and skill. The reality is I prefer fully home cooked meals, but there are some days where it just isn't realistic due to time constraints and/or motivation. I have limits to which processed foods I will cook with however, and usually I try to buy ready meals with natural ingredients or whatever. But I won't buy anything which seems almost entirely made of chemicals and rubbish, no matter how convenient it might be.

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    All meals that come from your own garden are low cost meals.
    Keith.

9. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any particular recipes that you like to cook that fall into this? I'm just learning new recipes, but I am pretty good at making "surprise food". The kind where you throw what you have in a pot and hope it tastes good. To our surprise we have came up with several good meals. Some people call it poor food, but I like to call it delicious.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Stir fry, battered zucchini rings, pumpkin soup made from pumpkin roasted in the oven in its skin, roasted pumpkin seeds, grilled egg plan slices ( I have some drying at present for storage), potato chips baked in the oven, mashed potato, mashed roasted pumpkin & potato, mashed potato & pumpkin made into fritters, corn roasted whole in their husk in the oven, popped corn, vegie stews, baked potato in jacket, roasts, salads, salad sandwiches, tomato soup, fried tomatoes, fried green tomatoes, baked garlic, boiled or steamed nettles, add dried beans to stews after soaking overnight, onion soup, fried onions, boiled onions, baked apple, stewed apple, apple crumble,
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  11. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I've never cooked with pumpkin before. I didn't realize there were so many dishes you could make with it. I cant wait to buy one and try some recipes. I have a little spare room in the garden, maybe I will try to grow my own.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Easy to grow, come in all sizes.
    Keith

BeautifullyBree likes this.