Learning/relearning About Risk....

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by watcherchris, Sep 16, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Not sure in what area of the boards to post this...and decided on here....so here goes....

I am getting accustomed once again to a Daywalker Schedule now that i am back on day shift after so many many years on the back shift.

One of the things I am having the most difficulty with dealing....is... traffic..

Traffic seems to be 10 times worse on day shifts than the 2nd or 3rd shift.

Also the number of people suddenly cutting in and out of lanes.....lane changing ....is alarming. One verily has to stay on ones toes..

When Off....I have found myself going to the grocery store .in the early hours...rather than through the day ....less crowds.

I reckon in a manner of speaking....traffic wise....the back shifts have verily spoiled me.

Nonetheless...I am dealing with a new Risk Factor ..once again.

Oh...and speaking of traffic.....a sidelight of this.......more acute than before....

I find myself getting more easily irritated...in the grocery store..with these people ...mostly women...who see a friend or neighbor....and block the aisles with their carts while they converse.....no real situational awareness....going on there...totally in a world of their own.
    Or....they block the aisle with their cart and walk off to get an item....blocking everyone else in the process....total non situational awareness...I'm sitting on the only one in town...kind of thing...
    Take a second and pull over to the side and get your items....don't block everyone else out while you shop...
    Ishmaelites run wild......

It gives me that horrible stuck on a desert Island kind of thing/nightmare ...with 400 people just like this....

I am coming to ask myself if a type of road rage is now translating over to grocery store aisle rage.????

One of the things I used to like or prefer was grocery shopping in the middle of the night when some stores used to be open all night....and a lot of stocking up was being done.

Fewer crowds......easier parking.

Reckon I am just not that big of a social butterfly.

I want to get my shopping done and go home.. know pretty much what I am going to get and get it....then come home. I have no interest in going through each and every aisle in my shopping trip.

Or...I am getting cranky in my olde age....High Mileage..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Planning a trip to the grocery store early tomorrow.......to try and beat the crowds...

In particular to round out my list...should a storm/'hurricane arrive here....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Risk is an interesting subject. I worried within a form of risk analysis for many years and found that the ability to have an all rounded view helps. It certainly help with thoughts of prepping. The downside is that risks are everywhere and mitigating the balance to avoid becoming paranoid about this is a learned art.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    having lived in a city for 40 years and been out of a city for nearly 25 years I think I can see things from both sets of risks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I get road rage just thinking about traffic.

Since retirement, I've dropped one of my two blood pressure medications. Never had high blood pressure until the past decade. Stress was part of it. My BP is down to normal levels now.

This last job required that I commute on a known dangerous interstate. At least twice a week, someone would zoom in front of me and others -- mega dangerous. Some super rich folk lived there and the cars on the road were very expensive ... and powerful. Commute speeds would be around 80 mph (130 k/hr), this in heavy traffic. There are numerous deaths per year on this highway.

On beltways around cities to which I traveled on business, twelve-lane highways couldn't handle all of the traffic.

Trains need to be brought back. It would solve energy problems and pollution issues. Trucking heavy loads for hundreds of miles is crazy stupid. All of this should be handled by railways. Highways kill 35k to 40k Americans every year and soak-up oceans of gasoline. Stupid stupid stupid. All my life, I've lived near the coal trains. I love the sound and the rumble of them. As I sit here, were a big train coming, first there would be the rumble, then its low frequency sound, then the horn. The trains cross a road not a half mile away, thus the horns. Great stuff. We get at least a half-dozen monster coal trains passing here per day. They are around a mile and a half long with multiple engines.

upload_2023-9-17_18-36-20.png
    upload_2023-9-17_18-44-7.png

The coal train in the following video only has two jacks (engines), thus this is a short load.

Not very interesting video. The guy filming it isn't a rocket scientist. I include it for the scenery. I've witnessed all this all of my life. Mountains, trains, Southern cooking, the smell of the forests, all of the wildlife, everything is alive above around beneath.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yeah Olde Geezer....many of those coal trains wind up here at the bottom of Newport News...with mountains of coal....waiting to be loaded onto ships..

The coal is often wetted down with huge sprayer mechanisms to keep down the dust.

Nonetheless..it is a lot of coal..in those man made mountains...here at the end of the rail terminal.

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    living in a city you learn fast about risks.
    in a public place sit with your back to a wall.
    note where the exits are.
    if someone is coming up fast behind you take evading action.
    when out and about take your nose out of that mobile screen and remove headphones and take notice of what is going on around you.
    on public transport I always sat at the back.
    you live longer in a city if you are alert, criminals dont like people who are alert, they prefer easier targets. thats why I have lived so long. I still practise the above even though I now live in a rural area. old habits die hard.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.