Leather Maintenance; Preserving, Protecting

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Pragmatist, Oct 4, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.mannapro.com/equine/common-leather-care-myths-from-lexol-leather-care

Good afternoon all,

Preface: Link is by a famous company of leather care products. I have no affiliation with co.

Am getting ready for cold times enroute and with much time during quarantine combined with cabin fever", getting ready to check cold weather boots, a couple of leather pouches (nav instruments in them).

Linked article tells of saddle soap not being the best choice for leather preservation.

Basically, I use both saddle soap and Kiwi brand shoe polish (made famous by my Governor somewhat recently).

Not mentioned in short linked article but I also use a silicone application to section of boots where sole meets upper leather portion.

At one time had wanted to learn how to make my own saddle soap but the stuff is so inexpensive - again my famous "relatively speaking" - that never got around to even learning the ingredients.

In artillery school, it is taught: "If it is metal: oil it. If it is leather: saddle soap it." (Hard to find both unless buying one's own.)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.leatherhoney.com/pages/leather-honey-versus-saddle-soap

Good morning all,

Someone just told me of a "new, even more improved" leather care product.

It's the above link's feature. Link explains problem with exclusive use of saddle soap.

Worth reading but for me my thick, sturdy leather navigation instrument cases and pouches are, like me, too well worn for any major preservation improvements.

Still, with the cost of a non-consumer magnetic compass, the "support system" for the instrument is a nominal cost to take care of the really important and expensive stuff.

Glance at the link at least for a reference point before dishing out $ on any conditioner/preservative.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I use neatsfoot oil on leather, it cleans, proofs and keeps old leather supple. Saddle soap is also excellent for cleaning and making leather supple. A solution of silicone and white mineral spirit is also good for re-proofing old leather.
    None of these effect the colour of the leather but may make it appear darker for a while.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    My brother worked as a lumber jack and he would walk along the rivers with a pole and push the logs back in the current . every night he would treat his lumber jack boots with dubbin leather protector. It would make your boots water tight. Later on i worked in construction and i did the same thing. there are many brands they all seem to work

upload_2020-10-10_15-41-20.jpeg

Ystranc, wally and TMT Tactical like this.