Let's Milk This For Some Serious Improvement.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Sourdough, Oct 12, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Let's Milk this for some serious Improvement.

I think it is past due time to shove some spark into this forum. So.......step #1 would the nice owner or a wonderful moderator, or anyone smarter then me, please list the five "SUB'FORUMS" that have zero or damn little interest or threads posted to them. I know there are a few that have never ever had a single post.......never.

I say dump those worthless sub'forums, and add some thrilling and kick'ass exciting new super wonderful new and "Improved" sub'forums.

Step #2 We vote on some thrilling and exciting, kick'ass new wonderful Sub'forum suggestions.

Let's get rid of the wasted space occupied by subjects that have zero interest. And remodel is into the worlds most wonderful forum on the subject of "Prepping and Survival".

Would someone please wake the owner of this wonderful forum.

Caribou, howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have it on a reliable source that winter is coming, and change is needed.

3. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Just curious who actually owned this forum anyway?

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Admin, known as branchd77

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  5. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    So what sort of suggestions did you have in mind?

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think a physical fitness and training section would be of value.

I notice that I have been starting more threads in the restricted area, that is for members only. Children can see the parts of this forum that are not restricted currently.

Might be good to have an area that moderators can move threads to, when they slide into discussion of possible actions should there be a social environment with zero law enforcement.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    See I didn't even know there was a restricted area.

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Admin is the only one that can make these changes. It would probably help if you could give the admin some idea of what needs to go, & what you would like to replace it. Kick ass is good, totally agree, but the admin may want something more specific.
    Regards, Keith.

9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well if we have sub-forums that have never had one post ever, and a few that are rarely posted to.......I should think they could go away, and not be missed.

I would hope that all of the members would contribute ideas for replacement sub-forums.

I do feel that we are overpowering new members who are also new to prepping for anything, especially survival. We grossly overpower them with our strongly held "OPINIONS" that come across as divine authority.

I truly think we need a very restricted area, that if members want to talk about killing other humans and driving a spike through their mouth and nailing them to a utility pole, that children and members at large don't have to view that. Either that or the Administrator should give clear instructions to the Moderators, about post that "Might" be offensive to others. Yes.......we realize that it is hypothetical and only for a world with zero law enforcement. However a child surfing the internet does not need to view that graphic content.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  10. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    You should start your own forum if you want to talk about killing people.

Then you will have total control over the whole thing, which appears to be what you want.

No one else has complained about this one.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a suggestion. I wish that the number of posts on a threat per page was about half of what it is. Lordy, some of those pages are loooooooong. Scrolling back up to the top is a pain at times.

One of the issues that I have run into one of my boards over the years is that eventually you have said almost everything that can be said about the core subjects. When was the last time we discussed gun topics or any of the core topics of bushcraft and survival? More and more we are discussing politics and such. About the only answer that I have found is to archive the old posts and let new people bring them back up and discuss them again.

12. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

One requirement to enhance the board is some $$$.

I mentioned this some time ago via development of area "clubs" / "associations" to meet in-person. This easily enough filters out the non-serious preppers.

The "club" could eg design and propose a vinyl decal and cloth patch for fund-raising for the website's enhancements. I am guessing Daniel works full time. Enhancements take both time and money.

For example, a vinyl stick-on with a MSF.COM design and edress on it could be sold for eg $10.00 with perhaps a minimum purchase of 2 per order. The profits to Daniel to develop site. Ditto for a cloth patch.

I belong to another forum - not active because they have too many pseudo-experts - but they do have area clubs and besides logo stick-ons, they have other additional fundraising along with learning subject matter stuff when meeting in person.

This is my 2 pfennigs worth to this thread.

"Sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts." William S. Burroughs

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Tex, truncating the pages at something like 20 to 30 posts would be nice as some of these threads get ridiculous in length. I also think the idea of rehashing old threads is a great idea, sometimes new people have differing thoughts and also often technology, techniques and approaches change over a time even as short as 5 to 10 years.

Pragmatist, I believe there are already several ways thru the site to make donations and buy memberships. The decal idea sounds good on the surface but if you look at it practically, it would be even more work for him or any site. Till they get done designing and buying decals at a low volume buy, the costs and time involved would outweigh any benefits. After all, how many active people are on here and out of that group assume what, best case 30-40% of those might buy. I'd say bad ROI all around.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to see a subforum where we can take any single, narrow in scope and highly focused, issue or problem and discuss it like professionals attending a conference on the subject. We could agree beforehand on the format the problem solving discussion would use, such as the OODA Loop or even FEMAs preparedness cycle

bbc6c80bf53fd4be145eb9fd5601b853.jpeg

Having an agreed upon format for input/responses would help keep everyone on topic as well as where their post falls in relation to solving the problem.

It would require the thread starter to provide a very specific and narrowly focused problem for discussion, so "Best practices for treating an infection" is out. "Best practices for treating a suspected MRSA infection" would qualify.

To ensure everyone brings their "A" game to the discussion, and to keep the discussion from going off-topic, we might use the "like" button in this subforum to signify an unhelpful or off-topic comment. Three "likes" on any post and a moderator removes the comment from the thread. So for the example MRSA question, responses of "Here's a book on medicinal plants" , "Use manuka honey", or "MRSA is just a pharmaceutical company plot to get government funding for new antibiotics" would not considered helpful comments. The first is too broad, the next requires some reputable source to back up the claim, and the last is just off-topic and doesn't help solve the problem.

The goal being, in the end we have a very clean thread of adults discussing how to solve a very specific problem in a professional manner.

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    any alteration to this forum has to go through admin to whom such requests should be directed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Aren't we already by having this discussion in the "Suggestions and Requests" subforum? Rather than have everyone PM branchd, maybe a mod could if he hasn't acknowledged seeing this thread within a reasonable amount of time.

17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't administration ever come here and read any of the posts? As I understand it even the moderators have a hard time contacting the admin. How could we contact them?

18. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    If this is like most of the survival/ prep forums that are left, I'm guessing rare to never for how often Admin visits.

19. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I see the admin here now and then

20. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Country Guy,

My vision, mentioned yesterday, was different. Had not written enough narrative to flesh it out.

A stick-on/patch would be for both fund-raising and also for public relations - so as to get new members who are serious preppers.

In 30 days from today, I will be participating in 2 mid-Atlantic prep events. Both have minor publicity but potential members are at these "fairs". Note that MSF.COM does not have a PIO. We are not properly growing to anticipate major enhancements to the web site/forum. Improvements take both time and money.

My cost numbers yesterday were too low. Still don't want to "scare-off" anyone. My other groups buy from overseas sources in medium sized lots at very low costs. Each patch now costs us $20. We are obliged to buy in batches of 4 each. A little of the proceeds are used to take a patch and frame it with a "With Compliments" memo for giving to some key pro-prepper journalists (They do exist) and a couple of supportive officials in the emergency community.

My vision would NOT have Daniel working this project. It would be a forum member volunteer typically being retired and willing....and trustworthy.

I believe it's next week that a multi-day prepper "camp-out" starts in western North Carolina. Some groups are successful and most are not. It's up to us.

21. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I have to ask, why wear a patch telling all and sundry you have back up stock of food etc for when TSHTF. Why tell them your place is the first stop for the hungry and bad when it happens?

22. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Brownbear,

An insignia tells little.

No one knows where we store our Zodiac boat with supplies from a cloth patch.

MSF.COM must grow and it's a balancing act.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I said as much on another forum and got banned for it.

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.