Long Term Water Storage Question

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by TroutCreek, Jul 28, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TroutCreek

TroutCreek New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello I'm a new member and have questions regarding water storage. Did a quick search and didn’t find the information needed. Sorry in advance if it’s common knowledge.

I rotated out our water storage today and the process brought up some questions.

Although we have some 5 gallon portable jugs our main water storage is in 55 gallon food grade barrels. One barrel was new when I put it in service 3 years ago and the water drained from it today seemed fine. The other barrel was surplus from the food industry and I expected it to have residual taste or odor after 3 years. Surprisingly it looked and smelled good too.

I added 3 tablespoons of bleach to each barrel with filling (as our municipal water is glacier snow melt and has very little treatment).

Is there a process to determine if the water is safe to drink? I realize using a surplus barrel is not ideal but in practice I’m not noticing a difference. Truth is we'd most likely use the surplus barrel for hygiene purposes .

Interested to hear if this is a huge problem.

2. Crys B.

Crys B. Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about determining whether it's safe to drink. But, I say, if in doubt, when you take your water out to use it, boil it.

There's nothing wrong with double protection.

TexDanm likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Ditto but then I wouldn't be too worried if you started out with clean water in a clean sealed container and then added a little bleach I would think that you would be safe.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    boil it first before using and if your really worried put it through a water filter before drinking it, its what i'd do.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    We have a 1500 gallon cistern. I plan on running the water from it through a 2 micron filter before drinking or boil it in large quantity in my big gumbo pot. I will also be gathering rain water into other barrels and such. Water is pretty easy to sterilize if you start off with clean clear water. It is dirty water that is hard on filters. I have a pool so I have massive amounts of chlorine in both powder and tablet form. We drop a tablet in the cistern regularly.

6. reynolds

reynolds New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    if you've got a water filter, water treatment chemicals and a kettle or coffeepot in which to boil water, why would you have to store it? you'd better get the hell out of the city if shtf, cause those places will be pure hell on earth in a very few days. Those without water will be looking for it and killing to get it, Ditto the dog packs.

7. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If it was clean when it went into a clean barrel with a chlorine treatment I would trust it without reservation. My food grade plastic IBC tanks are second hand from a soft drink manufacturer, originally used to ship concentrated sugar syrup. I have no problem at all with second hand containers.

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Because we are not in the city, we are off grid. If you don't store water you don't have any water!
    Keith.

Old Geezer likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha !!! Thank you!

We keep 15 gallon sized tanks -- they are not too heavy to roll about. They are easy to clean. I've put standard sized spigots on them for filling and accessing. Their plastic is HEAVY-duty. They seal well.

One can fill bathtubs / whatever to keep water for cleaning purposes. We put back bottles of bleach and bottles of vinegar for preserving / bacteria-killing / cleaning needs. Bottles of ammonia are good for the cutting of wax surfaces that have gone dirty/septic.

Keith H. likes this.