Looking for a hive of honey

Discussion in 'Finding Edible Animals and Bugs' started by Corzhens, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have seen in a local documentary how to get honey from the natural hive of honey bees in the forest. They spotted a hive that was up a tree, about 20 feet or so from the ground. The hunters gathered dried leaves and grass then started a fire to create smoke that would drive away the bees from the hive. Once cleared, one hunter climbed the tree. He had a basket that is tied to a rope. The honeycomb are placed in the basket which he lowered to his companions on the ground.

The procedure did not take long and the hunters ran to settle away from the chasing bees. It looked easy but the hunters say that one of the hardest is the sting. The guy who climbed the tree has welts on his arms and legs. Surely, bees are smart because they build their hive up above so humans will have a hard time getting it.

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Bees are amazing creatures. My father was a beekeeper back in the day. He studied it a lot and shared his knowledge from time to time. All the people in our town would call him when they had a bee swarm problem. He would go and get them and take them out to his place in the country. Set them up in a hive and everything. He used to sell lots of honey. He had a huge peach orchard too, delicious peaches. We would get the peaches, scald the skins off, cut them up and mix them with the honey, then freeze them. Oh my!!

Maria_C likes this.
  3. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Honey is a super food and it also has a lot of medicinal properties. Most bees build their nests in hollow tree trunks so it's not easy to get to the honey, not to mention the bee stings, but there are some bees species that aren't that aggressive and provided you have something to hack into the wood it's not that difficult to get to the honey just labor intensive.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's really interesting. But, I don't think I'd do something like that unless I had someone who knew a lot about bees with me leading the project. It's probably very dangerous for someone who is inexperienced with bees.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I once asked Mr. Cluckeyo, "What is honey? Is it bee poop?" He said, "No, it is bee vomit". lol :). That being said, it is important to note that honey a great, pure energy food. In times when you need a lift, honey will give it to you. Local honey has medicinal value as well. If you eat honey that is gathered from near where you reside, then that honey will help block allergies.

6. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    This got me licking my tongue, lols. My father too has a hive. I still remember the honey, fresh unlike the ones I use to buy from the market now.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree there are a lot of people that are allergic to bee stings and being in a survival situation isn't the best way to find out. There are non stinging in certain parts o the world so I guess with those the risk is a little less.