Maintaining weight with little food

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by remnant, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There are times when one finds self in adversity especially in shipwrecks or being stranded in remote locations without supplies. This is also common in conflict situations. You have to severely ration your food intake to survive with attendant loss in weight and the likelihood of developing a haggard emaciated look. This can be prevented by eating a packet of glucose before eating. The little food you eat afterwards will go into replenishing your energy reserves averting loss of weight.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you have no supplies & there is no corner shop, where does one obtain this packet of glucose?
    Keith.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, these are one of the major sacrifices one should cope with to survive through scarcity. You are very likely to lose a bunch of pounds out there due to lesser calories intake, but at least you can make it through it alive.

4. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Losing weight can't be help if you're faced with such circumstances. The fact alone that you're stranded in an island or living in a post apocalyptic world is worrying enough, add in the extra burden of hunting for food and worrying about potential attackers out of nowhere will definitely tire a man down and affect not only his physical health but mental health as well. And in times like this, i doubt a packet of glucose is in anyone's top priority.

Sealpikachu likes this.
  5. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Not only that but imagine how hard they would be to find. Ichad never even heard of them until now. Seems like a luxury when you are trying to survive.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    some of us could do with losing a bit of weight!!:D:p:rolleyes:;)

7. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Haha! I've contemplated forcing myself to camp out somewhere for a week or 2 on little food supplies to drop some weight! But since I can't just take a week off of work, I've just forced my self to do it the right way. This made me laugh!

If you're able to find packets of sugar, I suppose that would help. It's a good technique to gain weight or at least maintain it, but realistically, that's going to be a tough item to locate. I think that would be a good diet tip in general though. I have forums that I am on with health posts about people who need to gain weight. I'll share this info with them :)

8. Kev Brown

Kev Brown Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    If possible it's best to limit your physical activity. The mix of small amounts of food and high levels of physical exertion are guaranteed to result in weight loss. If you've been shipwrecked on an island or you're having to navigate a forest, you may not have the option of avoiding having to exert yourself. The best option is to move at a slow, steady pace whilst keeping in mind the food options that you have.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its all about calories in against calories used. if your not moving about much and taking it easy then the difference probably wont be much.
    but in a survival or catastrophe we will be doing a lot of work, probably working all the daylight hours and then some, unless we can sustain our food input it is inevitable that we will lose weight. its probably more important as to the quality of the food we are eating than the actual quantity.

10. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I find this a little disconcerting. There's no way to maintain your weight if you're not eating... Most people have a basal metabolic rate of around 1300 calories. That's just doing nothing, not even really breathing. In a disaster time, you're going to be really active just trying to survive. Chances are you'll go days without eating anything substantial. The body will first lose its glycogen stores, so you'll be dropping weight just from that alone. If you're not drinking a lot, there's more weight gone.

As for the glucose packet, on what scientific evidence can you base the point to eating pure sugar to maintain your weight?

11. HealthandVitality

HealthandVitality New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It is my view that small food rations have an equal and opposite reaction to body weight. In other words, whatever situation you are in, if you eat less calories than your body requires, it will have an effect of your health, you will begin to lose weight, even when you are inactive and it is not intentional. And over a prolonged period of time, the evidence will be quite clear. It is not possible to eat less for a prolonged period of time and maintain the same body weight, it totally impossible.