Martial Arts Skills

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by westen, Mar 4, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

Pardon me, but I don't give a Rat's A$$ about the inmate. I wonder why the other guards pulled her off at all. They should have let her go. It sounds like the rest of the inmates certainly got the message. If that were the rule rather than the exception there would probably be a lot less guards getting attacked.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yeah...I have a short type of walking stick ...it is a artificial type material....with an adjustable platform on it to cradle a firearm. Only used it one time. I believe the olde crossed sticks are a bit better.

I don't know what that walking stick design is from Europe or the UK is called...but it has sort of an offset ball on the end of it....to hold with the hand....looks like some kind of hardwood...not even straight...but it also looks like it could put a severe hurting on someone who gets on the wrong side of it....and I mean...severe!!!

Though it has been many years since I've trained...but I earned a brown belt in Judo and a black belt in Jujitsu.

I have also earned/logged lot of air time...long before frequent flyer miles became popular.

But verily agree with many of the members here avoidance is best.

But still......I like my GP 100 in .357 Magnum or my 1911 in .45ACP when out and about.

House tool here consists of two short barreled twelve gauge pumps. One upstairs and one downstairs.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When my hips went to crud I needed a cane. After they were replaced I didn't need it but had become fond of having them. I'm not as young as I was and well, I'm not going to fight anymore. If you threaten me you will wake up in the hospital if you are lucky.

I am seriously looking at a sword cane made by cold steel. I think that would just be too cool and now it is totally legal in Texas so why NOT? Just call me ZERO! I will put a big circle on your chest or on a wall above your body.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They did it for HER, not the inmate. Any time there is a use of force there is an investigation and the idiots for inmate rights will crucify an officer that they think hit the inmate even one more time than was strictly necessary. Sad but true, even in prisons the criminals have more rights than the good people.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    That's easy!
    Anyone worth there salt in a fight will command the fight and the other person will simply be thinking "WTFWT" shortly before going dark!

You do not need MMA skills to win though it helps, what you really need to do is to take control of the situation then you have at least a chance at winning.

I have won fights against far superior opponents simply by taking control of the fight and making the opponent do my bidding.
    If you just stand there and wait for that left hook blocking it will help little but if you MOVED and kicked him in the knee it will hurt him but unlikely to put him down but he will think about it and not the left hook he was about to deliver. Take Action so your opponent needs to react to your act, and take it from there. The fight is then yours to loose or not.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about that walking stick with the round knob on the handle end.....

I've often thought that it could do some serious hurt in capable hands.

To my surprise they carry them on the Cold Steel site...and thus furnished me with the name for which I could not recall...until now...

Shillelagh...

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/walking-canes-by-cold-steel/blackthorn-shillelagh.html

It appers that Blackthorn is a name that applies to numerous similar such designs

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/...teel/irish-blackthorn-walking-stick-2101.html

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/walking-canes-by-cold-steel/blackthorn-staff.html

Nonetheless..I like this design...

Thanks,

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Lethal force is defined most places as “death OR serious physical injury” so clubbing them with a gun or shooting them are both applications of lethal force from a legal standpoint. And if you are justified in using lethal force, you are justified period. The law doesn’t care if you club them, shoot them, drive over them, or push them off a bridge it is all the same thing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree with this. On the other hand you should also learn early on that “You are not as fragile as you think you are!”

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Judo is also known as “The Great Crippler” there is nothing very gentle about it, or jujitsu. Both arts are highly effective but they will break you down physically. I have seen a student start at age 43 and do very well, but he was by far the exception to the rule and was smart enough/lucky enough to pick good workout partners.

Just count the costs Judo/Jujitsu works for older folks but it definitely a young mans game. Older people in these arts tend to be hard as nails tough guys, gentle but tough, because you have to be half crazy to practice it as you get older.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    As my body aged and started talking to me in more emphatic terms, I switch from Marshal Arts to Firearm Arts. A lot less strain on the body.

pacmantacman likes this.
  11. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    I’m still young by most standards, I have a lot of fight still in me.
    However I now say, “I’m not the fighter I use to be, but I am a way more efficient killer.”

In my case this statement is exactly true, however most old guys are big talkers and typically no better prepared than anyone else.

12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    here's my staff. It's made from a hard maple sapling and a hame end I found in the barn.

273150f728aa5f92d918063ad007816e.jpeg

13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am still old by most standards. Yes I am a much more efficient killers as I do not have the endurance or physical ability to mess around. Studied and trained in three different styles. I participated (tournaments sparring is not fighting) in tournaments and managed to acquire enough bumps and bruises to add to my already growing lists of injuries. At my age, I am not going to get into any wrestling match. So much easier and quicker to simply pull the trigger.

Morgan101 and pacmantacman like this.
  14. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They let me take my cane aboard aircraft. They should, I need the dang thing.

I've always a cane on me and a flick-open knife. I've not gotten a carry permit in this state. If things go bad, I'll be carrying a couple of firearms legally or illegally.

Now that I'm old and do not fear death (actually looking forward to getting killed), I'll just cut, rip, crack skulls with cane, whatever -- I'm at home now and have a gun in my pocket and longarms on the ready. Other weapons are locked away -- don't want the genetic trash to steal firearms.

If you live in an anti-God anti-Liberty country, then disobey the law. Do whatever it is you have to do. There's all manner of ways to hide weapons. Bury them, then plant thousands of false positives for the metal detectors of the government goons. Bury your real stash well below one of the false positive items.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Train in any martial art that is suitable for the intended environment & situation, thus I don't have the slightest clue s which martial art would be appropriate for you (sorry). Basically all martial (well at least those that I'm aware of) were derivative of combat / warfare technique and in practice doesn't always appropriate when applied in an environment far outside their origin. Some martial art even gone further to split their weaponized combat technique (non competitive) and their sport / competition style.

Traditionally women from my own culture was always armed one way or another due to necessity and because it's also mandatory to properly armed oneself whenever they leaving their dwelling (sidearm blade when inside the city or spear when venturing outside the city wall)

16. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Spear? I would be interested in seeing a picture of this type of spear, if possible. Also would be interested in seeing what a typical blade is favored by women for self-defense in your country.

I am a bit of a knife fanatic and would appreciate seeing this. It never hurts to broaden my horizons!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Sadly there isn't any spear that survive from that era (13th - 14th century) while for sidearm blade we use keris (which is still commonly use for ceremonial purpose to this day) however any keris blade that survive from that era are currently in the hand of private collector or museum and anyone whose selling it these days is most likely fraud.

Example of keris, albeit this blade is a modern replica from the look of it,

1420490d456fbf4dd02ddfc639c8126f.jpeg

For last ditch feminine weapon, kerambit is the weapon of choice due to it's small size and can be concealed as part of hair accessory.

1420490d456fbf4dd02ddfc639c8126f.jpeg

Or if you wan't to go downright lethal there is also folding fan. With additional "herbal ingredients" treatment it can be extremely lethal (just make sure you don't hit yourself with it)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  18. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    If you wan't to learn using kerambit, it is best to buy the dull / training first before buying the real / sharpen one. Getting yourself cut by such blade is no joke. Here is examples of what such blade could do to body tissue ;

Unfortunately even where I live I don't even know any place that thought in using kerambit. And from what I saw from those Youtube videos of using kerambit by US practitioner all of them are inefficient and emphasizing more of making multiple quick shallow cuts rather than aiming for vital organ. Moreover I kept seeing demonstration of dual-wielding kerambit which is really dumb and serve no practical reason other than to look cool.

Demonstration of dual wielding the blades just to look cool ;

Kerambit was meant to be last ditch feminime weapon
    and has never been use as utility tool whatsoever, thus the whole notion of going lethal as efficient as possible. In fact kerambit has only been reintroduce into martial art in 21st century and I've never heard about the blade before that. heck even my late mother idea of last ditch weapon was .22lr revolver + holy water (supranatural creatures do lurk in their neighbourhood back than). Moreover, kermabit is only use in dominant hand (right hand) while keeping the left hand free to use other thing such as shawl (preferably one made from silk for their tensile strength) to block or parry.

20. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This kerambit is just a hawk-bill knife. I was raised in tobacco country, so hawk-bills were everywhere. People feared them in a fight. You can lay somebody wide open with one. The sharper the blade on a hawk-bill the less work you have to do in the tobacco fields.

My dad ran "entertainment machines" (yes, gambling machines, duh). Where he had his machines took on a whole different culture come nightfall. From Jr. High age on into my college years, I counted the money out these machines and of course got to know some of the principals of the night world -- they too were a "different" lot.

Some young man carrying a hawk-bill during the day was just another work-a-day Joe. People kept an eye on those who carried razors or hawk-bills at night. My dad's buddies and brothers carried revolvers. My dad got by with his blackjack. And people liked my dad. Too, he could beat someone until they defecated out their eye sockets.

As far as I know, the hawk-bill is a slashing weapon only. Can't say that I like that. In a knife, you gotta have slash and stab. My dad's chest was as think as it was wide. My dad's arms were as muscular as my upper legs. He could just mash a person. I can't, never could, so like my uncles, I carry a gun.

Side note: The best billy-club is a sawed off pool cue; 21 or 22 ounce. Pool cue has a lead weight in its handle. Wrap the handle because the wood is too thin, it WILL split; start with cloth electrical tape, next steel wire, then more tape. Cloth electrical tape also makes for a good handle. A lightweight baseball bat makes a good club. Wrap the handle to get rid of any slickness. Blood starts off VERY slick; dries to icky-sticky. You can always nail razor blades to the bat's business end. If somebody tries to block the blow, you sever blood vessels in their hands and forearms. If lucky, you might cut loose finger tendons.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  21. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I've gotten old and injured, but I know it and adapt for it. As a young man I was taught military hand to hand combat, where the emphasis was killing your opponent as quickly as possible. Not sure what martial arts, if any. it equals. A lot of edged weapons training was included. I only had to use the skills a couple times in my life, but I did see what happens when someone uses those skills, without justification. A team mate got into a bar fight in the Philippines and killed to other U.S. service members. He's doing life without parole in Leavenworth Military prison. Use your head, before your hands.

Dale

22. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Due to a nasty temper as a kid, my parents refused to allow me to learn any martial arts (smart parents). Later in life I did learn and practice several martial art styles. Now that I have almost caught 70, I have switched to a more effective martial art --- it is called firearms, whole lot less physical conditioning required.

Morgan101 and Dalewick like this.
  23. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    hawk-bill is more straighter (albeit still curvy) and longer, thus could be use as utility / working tool. Kerambit (traditional variant like the one I've posted) however is just too small.

The idea it is last ditch weapon, and nobody around here wear any form of body armour (even back in the 13th - 14th century) it's just impractical (too hot and ruin your balance)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

I will definitely take your advice and buy a dull “trainer” karambit knife to practice with!

While the flash and spin show won’t be my style, many of these points have me totally SOLD:

https://www.karambit.com/faq#faq17

The karambit was originally developed as an agricultural and field tool. It can be used for gutting, cleaning, scoring, scaling, cleanly slicing ropes, survival situations and many other utilitarian purposes. Particularly for users who may find themselves in difficult situations (like rock climbers, cavers, spelunkers and hikers), the karambit's safety features and blade stability in all environments and in any position can't be beat.

Additionally, unlike other field or survival knives, a karambit will stay securely in your hand even if your hand is open, tying a knot or doing something else, like carrying a flashlight or gun.

The karambit's assured, no-slip grip offers unparalleled user safety in even the most hostile conditions. Whether it's icy, too dusty to see, or the knife is being used upside-down or underwater, due to the safety ring, a karambit user knows beyond a shadow of a doubt his knife won't move during intricate or detailed work, slide back through his hand causing severe, accidental injury or be dropped, easily disarmed or used against him, even during a struggle or if he falls. Both the user's grip and the actual position of the knife itself can be widely varied to achieve maximum benefit for the task at hand. Unlike other blades, even when switching the hands, the karambit is secure and still able to be used without fear of dropping it or losing control. No other knife in the world offers the karambit's safety and every day carry functionality for routine tasks, including gardening, camping, fishing, hunting, backpacking, farming, construction and other household/work applications, while also providing effective and seamless self defense capability.

In combat, the karambit's unique design allows it to easily change fighting ranges without body movement, provides the ability to counter and attack in the same movement, allows multiple strikes to be delivered with one arm movement and it allows lines of attack straight blades are unable to utilize. Its movement in battle is difficult to follow with the naked eye and it's easily concealable. The safety ring offers instant, yet safe, use out of a quick draw and ensures the blade can't be easily disarmed. While there are many other combative advantages offered by the karambit, those are the most pertinent points.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

If this karambit bad boy is the last-ditch feminine weapon of choice... I'm almost afraid to ask: considering that guns are not readily available, what is the first weapon of choice for most women in your country?

26. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    GA, it is MAN power, as the first choice. Have a bigger and meaner man to back you up. LOL

Dalewick and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  27. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL, them thangs are kinda heavy to wear, tho. And besides, a poor guy could get tuckered out trying to keep up with me!

Morgan101, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  28. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    That aspect did come to mind but maybe Superman is still out there. I know I could not keep up.

29. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Traditionally it was the Keris (also I had posted above) is the sidearm blade for man & woman, although mastercraft keris is expensive and took long time to made which is typically 1 lunar year including all the necessary rituals. Or if the lady is of oriental decent they might use metal fighting fan.

But these days it's all depend in how much money she have. One could get a Walther PPS/K (.32 ACP) which is the favorite due to it size, or hire armed bodyguard (which is far more expensive), or anything else in between. Of course slow poison along with having lawyer in retinue is always the typical option for settling score with their spouse.