Mass Extinction Of Farm Animals

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Xilkozuf, May 22, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    So, imagine there is some kind of disaster that kills all farm animals: no more chickens, cows, pigs! Nothing left. Yes it's a bit extreme but I always like to exagerrate imagining the worst possible situation!
    In this case, we should probably relie on some new animal. The recent topic about ostrichs made me think that there might be other unusual animal breedings somewhere in the world (I know many countries love gator meat for example..). We couldn't just focus on hunting wild animals, or on eating vegetables so we would have to try to domesticate a new beast. Which one would be your choice, or choices?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    wild boar.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    There are many areas of the world where people eat animals that are unusual to the regular diets. I guess that if it should come to a situation where the regular domesticated animals are no more available, I believe that many people would adapt to their own alternate source of protein. We see where some people already eat gators and snakes to name a few alternatives. Be assured that mankind would rather adapt than starve to death.

4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I suppose wild animals would be endangered for game meat. Domestic animals have cousins in the wild including birds which would be major casualties. As for my taste, I would prefer quail which can be easily domesticated and easily reared on a large scale for their tasty meat.

5. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    In such a situation, the focus would shift to sourcing of proteins from wild animals. Also, humans can choose to start taming some wild animals to live animals as farm animals.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Deer and wild boar are good for breeding to supply us with food. The wild sow can give birth to as many as 10 piglets. And in a year’s time the female in those piglets can start to breed also. The deer is not that prolific but they tend to produce 3 births in 2 years. What’s good in these wild animals is that they eat almost anything although it’s better if you can give them proper feeds designed for them.

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The farm animals that have been with use since ages may extinct some day. There was a time when people used to plow theri farm land through oxes, horses, bulls, he water buffaloes, however, farm tactors have replaced these plowing animals. people are also exploring other animals for meat, for example, ostrich may soon replace turkey and chicken. Scientists are also genetically engineering animals, these days chicken does not look like chicken.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    plenty of wild boar, several types of deer, pheasants, wood pigeons, ducks and geese, rabbits, squirrels, badgers, fish, in my area.