Meeting Or Finding Groups

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Traveler, Feb 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have suggestions for mtg like minded people. Everyone has to sleep sometime. You need friends to maintain security.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Only if there are other humans in the area. Get away from humans and the need for security vanishes.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It seems that most preppers strongly advocate making every possible effort to create a group as much as possible containing only your core family.

4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I vote for the core family group. Family will be more dedicated to protecting the family group. As for having to sleep, set up perimeter alarms and defenses and have a good nights sleep.

lonewolf and Sourdough like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As you meet people and make friends, make sure that they know about your serious interest in preparing for a possible violent future. If they have an interest that is good and you can encourage it. Family, even if they aren't fully on board for prepping will at least be possibly trustworthy people to have after the fact. The thing is that you will have to screen them with even more of a critical eye that other people because they will be even harder to send away if they won't cooperate and work.

Most of the people that will be a part of my group have been friends for a long time and are older. The good news is that most of us have special skills that will make us valuable to others after the fall on several levels. There will be a few little ones but not so many that it will be a problem.

Finding the right people is going to be hard and you need to be prepared to dump anyone that just refuses to fit in. If you live in a city it is going to be especially hard because getting everyone onboard on when exactly it is time to run will be hard. Those of you in rural areas can set up a location that all of you will head for and those that don't make it just will be not there. We are all within a 20 mile area and will decide exactly where we will go as things develop. Our group has a few new options that we didn't have a year ago. A sudden influx of a lot of money has opened up the possibility of a more isolated and better prepared location that is still in the same area.

6. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    That's always the goal. The issue is I am a traveler. A gypsy so to speak for work . I will always be behind the eight ball in the far flung corners of the US. Just getting home. Would be a monumental accomplishment. Looking for a real destination is the goal.

7. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

Sourdough likes this.
  8. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:

9. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Only works when you have one. Course your core family group doesn't have to be by birth. Some of my closets associates are family. But again the core problem. They are all over the country. It really leaves a guy hanging.

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree ,a family group will work more as a team I would rather have one reliable family member over ten non family members . One key to this is to have them close by when SHTF . As for as sleep if you are traveling alone in an area mostly void of people by foot you can employ a military tactic , look for the worst place you can find such as a briar patch , that's where you want to sleep .

11. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    that sounds suspiciously like an instructor I had once long ago. Think i finished that school. The issue is it's not sustainable. Yup works fine for a bit. But try it every day. You need at least 3 people. On 8 hr shifts. Security, food an camp issues, an rest. An rotate every 8 hrs. Crawling into the most nasty place you can find to sleep is a tactical choice. But alone. It's better than an sharp stick in the eye, no doubt. Just not sustainable.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Are your travels random or do you have a route that you run? If you work a route you can make some connections and at least then have goals in the even of a disaster that might not have to be thousands of miles away. I know that in Texas we have a lot of transient snow birds that winter here. Some have travel trailers, some rent and some have vacation homes here that they use in the Winter. Even though they don't live here year around they are nonetheless considered to be locals.

13. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever tried to give s order to a family member. I'll bet it didn't go over well. Theres times when instant obedience is needed. I've never seen a family that could follow SOP'S.

14. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Then you have never met my sons. I will take them over anybody else. They will have my back and I would die for them. I never met anybody else I could say that for.

Radar, poltiregist and Sourdough like this.
  15. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I dig Texas spent a year on a job there. Felt like home. But yes I go were th he work is so kinda random. Think o FCC what you woul cary with you. An i do mean carry to crown the country. It's a daunting task. My bag is constantly changing. But I really doubt but the time made it home it would matter. Limit yourself self to 30-50 lbs of gear to start a new life. Kinda crazy if you think about it. Like a long range patrol with no re supply. I know I'm not the only one in similar shoes. Just think of over the road truckers. They have exactly the same issues.

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Traveler

Traveler New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    You rock, you raised them right. Mine would to. Hes just a thousand miles away. Then again battle buddies are 500 away. I like to try an plan for the logistics of getting home. Keeping paper maps etc. But role at in your head, think about crossing the country to reach them.

17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes mine are 450 to 1,000 miles away. I have already charted my route to get to them or for them to get to me. They will follow the railroad lines. You can find all the routes on-line Google it) then plan how you would attempt to get to them. Not easy but better than walking down a highway. Good themal and/or night vision gear will be a big help in safely making the journey.

Sourdough likes this.
  18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    be very careful of who you trust, that's goes as much for now as for SHTF.
    a lot of people have this "whats in it for me" attitude, if in doubt go it alone.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you start off with a low population area now post SHTF there will be even less people about, the only place you have to really worry about the actions of other people is in the big cities which are danger areas just because of the sheer weight of numbers involved and the attitude of people relying on "the system".
    humans are the most dangerous animal on this planet and the most unpredictable.

20. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Traveler: I would respectfully disagree. While OTR Truckers may have similar issues they are riding in a pretty nice shelter, and can carry considerably more gear and supplies than you could possibly carry. Your task is far more difficult, and requires much more planning.

We could all come up with a list of what we would carry. One thing I would question is how long those things would last? How long will a brand new, top of the line, quality boots last, when you are walking many miles every day?

To even think about walking across the country you must be in remarkably good physical shape. Even seasoned through hikers take a zero day once in a while. Your body just needs to recover.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you don't find them before SHTF I wouldn't bother post SHTF, like most things prepping wise it needs doing BEFORE anything happens, after wards is too late.

TMT Tactical likes this.