Menstrual Pain

Discussion in 'Ladies Section' started by Koala, Jun 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Hello to all the ladies on the forum,

when it comes to survival and preppin, whenever I think about certain situations and how they would play out, I always get scared when it comes to having your period. I have a really strong period that lasts around 7 days and during, I always get severe pain, cramps, fever and so on.

How would we be able to ease this period pain in a survival situation? An Aspirin literally does nothing for me. Also what about tampons. If we wouldn't have any left, what could we also use in a similar way?

2. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    We would simply have to bear it like women did before all of the modern conveniences. There are lot of alternatives to tampons, before tampons or maxi pads, women simply used a thick cloth and washed it to be reused again. There are herbs that have been used for years to help with cramps. Ginger, fennel, and raspberry leaf tea can all be used to help with cramping.

AuntB, Emma and Koala like this.
  3. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Beware of Aspirin it thins blood in half of all people that use it.
    It's sometimes given to people that are at risk of a heart attack
    My dad has to take one everyday as he has 3 blood clots on the brain to keep his blood thin (the op to remove them is more dangerous that waiting for them to pop)

AuntB and Koala like this.
  4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I do agree that we are a bit spoilt when it comes to dealing with menstrual pain since we have so many different proper medicines now that they didn't have years ago. I admire women that endured it all without complaining. Real heroes.

I never knew that ginger can also be used for this sort of pain?

I just have very, very bad kind of period pains that can make it hard to even stand up properly so I fear certain survival situations. Thank you, ladies.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    Raspberry leaf tea is brilliant for so many things - I also took it for a few weeks before delivering my children and had pretty quick and manageable labors! So I would highly recommend it for menstrual cramps as well.

AuntB likes this.
  6. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    FYI if you're male you might not want to read this because I am going to answer that question and doing so will involve a lot of female knowledge you might be happy without unless you happen to be a single Dad prepping for his teenage daughter- if so then YOU ARE THE BEST DAD EVER FOR READING THIS!! Um, okay... so Ladies and others, I know this isn't something for everyone- some people flat out hate them because they take a lot of finesse and some getting use to- but if you really like tampons and you have very difficult periods I'd suggest in a SHTF scenario that you use a Diva cup (Frankly I'd recommend them for a disaster scenario regardless. And FYI Diva is thinner than all the other menstrual cups). Why? Menstrual cups can slow down your blood flow- if it's overly heavy- thus decreasing cramps after using them consistently for the duration of your period for several months. They also last roughly 10 years and cleaning is done through boiling not a special Chem. Menstrual cups are also portable and can be left in for 12 hours unlike a pad or tampon which lets face it you aren't going to be able to stop to change when you're running for your life. They're also old tech, they've been around for quite a while and are safe, in fact much safer than tampons (no worries of TSP). You can also run with them in and I backpack with one regularly when I'm on my period- I can't feel it when properly inserted (that's a clue, if you give it a try, insert it, twist- very, very important, and push it to the right spot (sometimes it will go there regardless if you put it in right but better to do it right than rely on your PC muscles to do it right because lets face it they don't have a brain). If you can feel it after that, you've done it wrong or bought the wrong size- generally it's the first though because your body is very elastic down there). I also doubt that in a SHTF scenario people who are raiding Whole Foods and Fred Meyer will be grabbing up cups, so they should be available. Although I'd suggest trying one now because they take some getting use to. Also you can get your gyno to give you a suggestion on what one will fit best after your normal pap appointment. Another thing, you take it out, dump the blood, rinse it, and literally stick it back in- in otherwords no waste. Your period then doesn't become a matter of public knowledge. No guy can weed through your trash in the city checking to see if your fertile. This might be important if you run into a sicko whose only interested in you for your ovaries or non consentual sex. Frankly if you bug in, in a city, having trash in front of your house is going to tell people a lot. A lot of trash- you still have food. Pads or Tampons? A woman lives here. Just not having any trash at all is kind of important when you think about it.

7. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I used it before delivering my three daughters also. I gave birth to them naturally and the nurses and doctor were impressed with how quickly and easily I gave birth. It is definitely something woman should think about having on hand.

8. Emma

Emma Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:

I agree with SouthernMama on this.
    We will simply have to go back to the old ways of using a cloth and rinsing and reusing. They're will come a time when tampons,pads,cups run out. And we will have no choice but to use a cloth.
    I'm not sure about using the cup as they say not to clean with boiling water but with this special chemical? You're as well to use the cloth then as the chemical will eventually run out. Also if you are concerned for nature then leaving used tampons,chemicals about its not going to be good for the natural surroundings.

9. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Actually, you either read that wrong or I forgot a comma- which I tend to do. They say to use boiling water, not chems. Tampons have chems in them as do pads. Cups are made out of medical grade silicon. And they last ten years, so if you stocked up a few it will certainly get you to menopause.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  10. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Not that you can't get special cleaning wipes for when you don't have access to boiling water but generally boiling water is better for them. Tampons and pads both have formaldehyde and bleach in them which can affect the Ph of your vagina and increase cramps and blood flow. While medical grade silicone does not.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  11. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Great idea on the raspberry leaf though. I have raspberry plants so I will definitely look up how to make it. Do you know how it interacts or if it interests with other herbals. As for cloth pads, I've made them and used them before. They need to be changed more often unless you back them with a waterproof material. AIO pads and AIO diapers for Babies are easy enough to make and I am confident most women could do it without being told how. I used cloth diapers on my kids, I used plain unbacked ones and AIOs. I would recommend all in ones (AIOs).

12. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    Yes! My first labor was only about 6 hours start to finish (which I have heard is very fast for a first time!) and my second was 3 hours from first contraction to delivery! we almost didn't make it to the hospital on time!

AuntB likes this.
  13. MountainCutie

MountainCutie New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Wow. That is so quick! I really wished I knew about that one sooner. None of my babies ever wanted to leave the womb.

14. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    hi there, I also have unbearable painful periods I always had to try these different pain killers like neurophen plus which contains ibuprofen and codeine I used to take two tablets, then 1 every four hours till when the pain disappear sometimes I also use feminax and it works good for me, however I know it is not advisable to keep using these pain killers for long period of time it's better to use natural home remedies like a good diet because I read that menstrual pains is caused by lack of some vitamins like D,...

15. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Well, menstrual pain is something which if given the option, I will eliminate from all women. I dread it. I guess we have to leave with it. But you said 7 days. Yours is way too long though. I'll advice you always keep tampons and pads close when the period comes. Sorry for the pain dear.

16. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a person who take medicine when I have a period but rather I put a minty balm on my belly to ease the cramps. For another great advice which came from an article that I read online which helped me a lot is stop drinking cold water during your period. Second, avoid exercising or doing a lot of household chores during your period and as much as possible lie on bed and rest. I hope this would be a great help to you as it had been to me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  17. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I used to have extremely severe menstrual pain growing up. I mean it felt like death. I would throw up green stuff and toilet runs etc. It was just awful. But it magically stoked when I gave birth to my first child. And thanks for recommending menstrual cups. I will have a look at this. I have only used pads and tampons so far. Now with managing a period in survival mode, if all else fails, there is always the cloth. I once read somewhere of a tribe where their women dig a hole and stay there in the hole to bleed out for the duration of their period. Like...for real..they squat over the hole and bleed out there. Once this is over, the cover the hole with sand. Makes you just wonder..

18. appleandcinnamon

appleandcinnamon New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Definitely stop drinking cold water during your period. I've heard it causes your period blood to coagulate, something that I've noticed as well. I take mefanamic acid for period pains, it's more potent than aspirin and works unusually well with period cramps. Some people also take it to fend off menstruation migraines (yes! some women get migraines on their period due to hormonal changes).

19. Kolawole

Kolawole New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    You just have to endure it, I face pains like that but mostly I lay my Tommy flat on the floor to ease the pain and I also hot water it helps to ease the pain also avoid sugary things when you notice you will soon start your menstruation in other to ease the pain

20. SteelyCuddles

SteelyCuddles New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm late to the party but I wanted to add my 2 cents. The Dragon Time essential oil is my absolute favorite in regards to menstrual cramps. I would rub some on my lower back, just above my pants line, when I was in college and it would ease the cramps. I didn't have to take any other kind of medication and I would have girls from the other end of the dorm knocking on my door and asking if they could use it. It is expensive but I would personally recommend it.

21. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Interesting read. My family (mom n sis) always had heavy flows and terrible cramps. A girl friend I lived with told me that the cramps were due to the blood not coming out easy enough and wants me to do my guy thing to help it flow out easier. It was my first experience during the time of the month. She only had cramps for a few days. So she would want me to 2 times a day during that time.

So do any of you know if that was actually true? I mean as she called it, internal message.

My ex wife didn't and current wife doesnt have trouble with monthlies but when I brought this up they seemed happy to have me help. LOL

So next on the raspberry leaf. How was this used? Did you harvest or purchase? Did you make a tea? suave?

Lastly, I purchased a book called the lost ways. It has nothing about how to treat monthlies. My wife, brother and I had watched some videos about hiking and a few girls told about the cup that was described here. a c few were hikers and another lady and her husband were living off grid and she strongly recommended that method. The lady who lived off grid did it for cost. She said it was cost effective!

22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Guess what?? I have nothing to say about this. My wife is long past this and my daughters have it under control. Since I am the only intact male on this property I know when to be quiet!!

AuntB likes this.
  23. Richa94

Richa94 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi there,
    You can go natural remedies instead of aspirin as it so many side effects associated with it such as increasing the risk of bleeding in the stomach.During menstrual pain you can apply these methods it will not get you rid of the pain completely but it will help you at some extent for sure such massage with essential oils for pain relief, try fish oil and vitamin B1 for natural relief include and the food in your diet which is rich in magnesium.

24. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Old thread!
    But here's what helped me.
    Bayberry capsules, 2 every 3 or 4 hours, and cayenne tincture, 5-10 drops every 3 or 4 hours, or 1-2 capsules. It slowed flow way down and eased cramping immensely.
    Drinking red raspberry leaf tea was also helpful.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Good information!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

It's a related menstrual pain.

I had an employee, US citizen, Anglo, who went with us to an overseas onshore oil exploration site. I would have never known of her condition had she not told me. Overseas, there were different arrangements for health care treatments. based on programs that were based on nationality/citizenship.

With period, she experienced devastating migraine headaches.

Had learned that pre-period, there's a drop in estrogen or related. The med folks prescribed some RX pharma replacement that worked - as far as I know.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    cramp bark, turmeric, and chasteberry

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. mylijoy

mylijoy New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Too late in the discussion but here's what helped me. I avoid taking medicine at any cost. Instead, I try these home remedies - Drinking chamomile tea eases the pain a lot. I meant, a lot. Also, I just don't sit idle during my period. I do exercise and workout a lot. This helps me relaxed the muscle.

And most importantly try massaging and heat therapy. In case the pain worsens, you can use a heating pad. Just make one for yourself at home or you can get one online. Try looking for DIY rice heating pad on YouTube. Also, there are many electric heating pads meant for only menstrual cramps. See if it works on you. (I have inserted the link there to save your time.)

If the pain is bothering you all the time, try switching to menstrual cups. Not Tampons. Menstrual cups like Saalt reduces the cramps. It's scientifically proven.

Hope this helps. Happy period! :)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Mylijoy,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll contribute much and learn much here.

Transmitting from the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I went through the "change of life" quite a few years ago. Glad to be rid of the cramps. I've forgotten what I used to do about them. Forgetting, what a pain.

TMT Tactical likes this.