Mojave Desert Bow Drill Material Suggestions

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Zeke Zelasko, Dec 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Zeke Zelasko

Zeke Zelasko New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Just moved to the Mojave. Does someone know what wood combinations work well for spindle and fireboard in this area? In Oregon I used mostly sage and cottonwood.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      345/460

Blog Posts:
    Whatever you use, I recommend using a soft wood for both the spindle (drill bit) & the fire board. Do you have the Yucca plant growing there? This is good for a hand drill fire lighting, not sure if it will stand up to the pressure of a bow, but may do if the length is kept short. My method is slightly different to what other people do, so it may pay you to watch my videos if you haven't already done so.
    Regards, Keith.