Motorhome/campervan

Discussion in 'Efficient Living' started by Max rigger, Jul 21, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not me mate, I burn in the sun, I dont like the heat, I prefer shade .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    When I did a DNA test it showed a chunk of Iberian DNA in me so I'd guess thats why I tan really easily. I need to keep fit for my job and the ladies ;), Looks like I'll be going back off shore in the New Year unless there is a dramatic change in the pandemic, I've achieved a lot in my time off now its time to start stashing away some loot for a new permanent home somewhere. I'll certainly be staying a lot more in the UK during shore time and using the camper instead of upmarket resorts/hotels/flights. I'm not working myself into the ground slogging away for another 25 years, sod that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my DNA is part British part northern European.
    at least you have a job to go to, there is going to be a lot of unemployment after the pandemic.
    thats if there is an "after", I'm not so sure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm really lucky in that work is really only a phone call or two away, but the global economy is going down shite creek minus a paddle, UK has lost 20% of its economy in six months and its not going to get better soon. The gap between the 'haves' and have nots' is going to widen a lot before it contracts.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Does that change the old fact that a Irishman is a Scot turned inside out? No disrespect meant

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The way I've heard it is exceedingly vulgar. "An Irishman is a ni##er turned inside-out." That one is a 100% fight-starter. Men have been shot dead on the spot for saying less ... and they deserved it. Truth be told, all smart alecks should either shut up when told to do so or be killed. Our species must not be further contaminated by such hideous inferiority.

The Celts who occupied Scotland were perpetually being raided by Scandinavians (Viking raids; they were certainly not alone in that). Many Americans are of Scots-Irish origin. When the Irish chiefs were slaughtered by England, the Scottish were encouraged to occupy those northern counties of Ireland and provided low cost rents and leases. Such is the origin of Ulster. It was these Scots who moved to America when fed-up with the higher taxes England began to demand. When the American Colonies rebelled against England, the American Scots-Irish joined the fray and slaughtered the English and the sycophants who remained loyal to the red-uniformed elitists.

My DNA comes from Scotland and Scandinavia. My Y chromosome has been traced back to a county in southern Ulster, Cavan.

A tiny bit of my genetics goes back to a state in Pakistan that is mainly Sufi Muslim. I'm uplifted about that, for I love reading Sufic religious writings & poetry. I imagine some ancient Sufic ancestor tapping me on the shoulder and informing me of religious writings that will better prepare my soul for the Worlds of God that are to come. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Submission to the Will of God is the path to eternal life, the only one.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they reckon there will be a million extra unemployed and thats probably only a minimum figure, a lot of companies have shut down never to reopen and those that do are shedding a lot of workers just to keep afloat. we are going into a recession worse than the one in 2008.
    maybe prices will fall as a result, I dont know.
    maybe we will never come out of a recession and this is phase 1 of TSHTF, maybe the whole western world will be reduced because of covid and its consequences.
    I've always said the modern world tends to put all its eggs in one basket and dosent consider the consequences of its actions, that goes for the whole human race, modern supply systems are very fragile to interruptions but nobody seems to think anything bad will happen, I dont know if that normality bias or just stupidity.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Arrived safe and sound this afternoon, the woods have had a lot of rain so we can safely have a small fire for cooking. Temp has dropped down a lot down to 15c. Camper and kit all working to plan as expected. Zero 4G reception from phone, hooked up external 4G antenna/booster and bingo, back online.

This looks good, launching end of September

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    1. Old Geezer
      troll

Old Geezer, Aug 15, 2020
  10. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Something to keep in mind, cellphone signal repeater (what you called booster) increase your latency. Which is something to be wary of if you need anything with less than 100ms latency

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    American websites are now being trolled by collectivists.

Seems MySurvivalForum has one now also.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    heavy rain forecast later, possible thunderstorms too, maybe wet for the next few days.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure I have ever heard the term "collectivist" before, its all getting a bit confusing what with feminists, "woke"-whatever that is, and the rest.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Good ping times, more than enough for browsing and streaming in Wales, not as good at present location in Scotland but still enough for what we need.

15. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    collectivist
    /kəˈlɛktɪvɪst/
    Learn to pronounce

adjective
    1. relating to the practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it.
      "collectivist cultures had disciplined and cooperative work forces"
    noun
    1. an adherent of the practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it.
      "an entire nation of collectivists"

If that makes any sense in relation to the forum, looks like Geezer's been sippin on the home brew again LOL

In Scotland now, we've had some very rough weather in Wales and here, fantastic lightning storms. Been using the Tipi/lavvu tent and its performed really well in very high winds and torrential rain. More storms forecast for today which could be fun as we're driving up to the Isle of Skye in an hour or so, it could be an interesting trip :) The guy who owns the Welsh woods we used was saying he had a couple of run ins with bushcrafters who thought it was OK at the height of lockdown just to turn up and camp...he told them to pack up and piss off.

Keep safe.

1. Old Geezer
      You are not a man.

Old Geezer, Aug 18, 2020
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    collectivism/groups/teams were never my thing, every time I went for a job interview and the interviewer mentioned "our happy little team" I wanted to scream and run away! (lonewolf by name, lone wolf by nature), I work best alone.
    a lot of people ignored lockdown and most of them werent camping in the woods.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Old Geezer wrote "You are not a man." any chance of expanding on that Geezer? Was Nurse Rached late with your meds again? LOL Have a sip of home brew and you'll feel better in the comfort of your lazyboy, old faithful dog one side of you, shotgun the other making you feel warm and secure. :)

Weather is pretty good today up here, morning rain has cleared so packed a lunch, checked emergency kit so we're off into the hills for a few hours.

varuna likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    heavy rain here last couple of days, a different town centre was under 3 ft of water, we're okay we are on high ground, was so wet postponed our 3 weekly supermarket run for another day just in case of standing water on the roads.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Roads under 3' of water? What kind of road planning, construction, maintenance you got over there anyway?!

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    normal weather over here, drains cant cope with that amount of rainwater so they overfill and spill out onto the roads.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Same as every country, some small parts get localised problems with old drain systems, its not a countrywide every day event.

Fantastic day on the hills, we had low cloud, clear skies, heavy rain, no rain and some sunshine, the only season missing was winter (snow). Temps were not bad, low of 12c and high of 22c we had some strong gusts higher up around 25mph (I've got a Kestrel weather meter). took a Trangia and heated a couple of army rat packs, lamb curry and had a brew.

Cracking day out and another tomorrow. All being well we'll get out Kayaking Friday. Enjoying every moment of this trip...life is good.

22. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    What do you use to fuel your Trangia?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Bio-ethanol.

Weather up here is sunny, warm but strong winds here so will be very strong higher in the mountains. Had a nice three hour walk around a Loch, its beautiful up here. Hung up a cheap solar shower and its worked well.

24. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Very heavy rain and high winds last night, no problems with the tent. We are on a very basic site, remote, there are toilets 4 male 4 female and 2 shower cubicals but we are at the far end of the site and only another three tents pitched here. One tent looks to have come down in the night, large family sized nylon type really just not up to Highland camping and they packed up and left an hour ago so only us and one other tent used by hill walkers. Will be interesting to see how many folk turn up today for the weekend. Weather clear and forecast for light rain and 17c.

Lunch packed, equipment checked we're off for a walk up Beinn Dearg Mhor :)

:)

25. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Weather is pretty good, Kayaking later today, first time in 8 years :)

26. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Sunday is the day of rest. Lot of low cloud, still air temp is around 10c/50f with good steady wind of 8-12mph and drizzle so today we eat, drink, listen to music, play chess and backgammon and watch a couple of films(movies) later on. Chicken curry is our main meal today.

My lad is getting a train home in a few days (got to get back to work) but I'm staying in Scotland for a while longer, this van is a real home from home :)

27. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Went to a supermarket today to get a few days supplies, good to see everyone wearing masks.

28. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Storm setting in, forecast for 40mph plus higher gusts, love it:)

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wet and windy here, just got back from the weekly market.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Back home safe and sound, over 600 miles and I did not rush, stopped off for breaks/drink/food and an overnight stop.

The van and equipment taken worked very well and I've learned its quirks and what needs changing/removing/adding and will put up a post when I finalise my 'report' in the next day or two.

I'll be going back up to Scotland when the winter kicks in for some 'proper' camping before I go back to work around March time.

31. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    The camper worked very well and I've no complaints. On my own I could easily live in it on trips but I'd say its too cramped for two people. I took a lavvu tent with me and that will now be a permanent piece of kit.

Th diesel heater worked fine although really only used for a couple of hours in the evening. Its quiet enough but when your out of town with no ambient noise around you the noise level could be distracting so I'll be looking at ways to bring the sound down.

Internal storage: Not bad overall but when you start packing clothes/winter kit/sleeping bags space will become tight so I'll be getting several plastic food kegs/barrels to store bits and pieces which can be left outside the van if I need to sleep/cook in it. This will also help for storing more food items.

Power: the deep cycle battery was fine for our needs, we did run some LED light strips off it, charged up two phones and a laptop without the battery running low and itself needing a dedicated charge cycle (it did get a boost when we drove a few miles around the island).

4G booster: Worked very well indeed. Phone/4G signals were not great at all on the phones but the mobile router did a fantastic job and bought in a very good signal. I took two fibre glass poles to use one at 3m and one 5m to use as antenna masts and they both helped pull in a good signal so we had internet access whenever we wanted.

Next time: Take an extra folding table to use as a dedicated kitchen surface. Take a bigger washing bowl for washing dishes and clothes. Take a couple of folding stools for guests. Purchase a small trailer with secure top for longer trips.