Multi-use Ammo Pouches

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by EarlyMarksman, Mar 28, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    096de671c0467b4fdb6d6340da4dd107.jpeg

This is for my fellow Mosin Nagant owners who have the surplus ammo pouches. I'm trying to decide whether to turn one of the pouches into a first aid kit or a fire starting kit, while the other will obviously hold my stripper clips. This really just has to do with having multipurpose gear which is extremely important. Of course though, this'll reduce your extra cartridges from 30 to 15, but you can always stash extra ammunition in your pack if you desire.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning EarlyMarksman,

Your 75 mm Pack How with 8 mule loads of ammo doesn't work too well if needing first aid or a fire.

It's definitely a good move for gear to be multi-purpose.

I'm not familiar with firearms but will still say if there are options try to avoid MILSPEC. A Prepper doctrine needing review is "Gray Man". It means keep a low profile and definitely not appear as a threat to someone.

3. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'd keep those for spare ammo. Ready access to ammo is important. 30 rounds? that's just one magazine of a M4. Even with what is in the gun that is less than two magazines of an AR10 or similar. There are many pouches available of similar or larger size for not much money.

TMT Tactical and EarlyMarksman like this.
  4. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

Yes, I am aware of the gray man tactic. In a grid down scenario you'll be seen as a threat no matter what you have on you. My M91/30 is a Russian battle rifle built in 1943 with a 5 round internal magazine. Built simple and tough as nails. Plus, I'm not going to attempt bugging out unless absolutely necessary. My desire to turn one pouch into a medical or fire-starting kit is came more from the idea of camping or going on a day hike through the woods, although it has grid down application. Thanks for your comment!

5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If looking at IFAK's, you might want to consider one of the molle strip away models. I use one for my primary IFAK as it is always available for me and lets me strip it off my belt and have everything inside it in my sight for a quick medical response. When dealing with a critical injury/wound your response time is quicker when you can see your supplies and equipment.

Use them as ammo pouches as they were made.

Dale

6. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    I did forget to mention that this idea came from the thought of a camping trip or hike through the woods rather than just a grid down scenario, although I believe it is fairly critical to have some type of kit like that on your person. Imagine getting separated from your bag and then you don't have medical or fire starting equipment but a bunch of cartridges. I reckon it comes down to personal preference. I agree that access to ammunition should be readily available, but I also realize that ammunition alone doesn't keep you alive. I do have an AR-15, however the M91/30 survived WWII and was built to withstand extremely harsh conditions unlike your typical AR. I could go months without even oiling up the weapon and I know it would fire flawlessly, but with an AR they are very prone to malfunction without slops of oil. Even my M4 in the military jammed up on me several times because the AR platform is just inferior when it comes to reliability. Thanks though for your comment!

7. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I got you. That would work for the purpose you are describing. 20 rounds on a hunting trip should be adequate. Extra ammo at camp would be a good idea. If your needs change then switch the survival gear to a different, and probably larger, pouch.

8. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

Until I purchase an IFAK though I'm looking for a temporary solution. Plus, I already have several things I carry on my belt anyway, so I'm trying to find a better approach that isn't going to weigh me down even more.

Caribou and Dalewick like this.
  9. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    By no means was my post made to suggest the lack of medical or survival gear. I always had both wen I was in remote country. The belt pouch survival kit that I hunted with is kept in my car today. the fanny pack first aid kit is there too. I mentioned buying another pouch so as to have a third belt pouch not to eliminate it. In most survival situation you wind up with what is on your person, in your pockets or in a belt pouch. Carry some survival gear on you.

10. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I get it! Been there myself years ago. Use what you have available for what you need. I would recommend painting a red or blue cross on the pouch you use for medical, so others will know what's in it, if your down. If you want something less showy, sew or glue a loop of blue or red paracord (or similar) as a tactile reminder for you for when its dark or if you couldn't look down. Just a thought.

Dale

11. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

Yeah I would like to have another pouch, I'm just now having to pick and choose considering I have quite a few things I carry on my belt.

12. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I also saw a guy once with a red cross patch on his. I'd go with the paint though, a patch will eventually lose it's....well...patchiness?

TMT Tactical, Dalewick and Caribou like this.
  13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have a .22 magnum rifle that uses an under-barrel tubular magazine?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/24/spee-d-loader-rimfire-tube-mag-speed-loader/

This comes in .22 mag and two sizes within .22 mag to accommodate short and long tubular magazines.

The .22 mag hits HARD for such a tiny cartridge. Don't hit a rabbit with one. I did. The rabbit was left ripped open and its bowels were sucked out far-side shoulder area -- this due to the hydrostatic shock-wave of pressure and rarefaction.

upload_2020-3-29_15-53-44.png
    upload_2020-3-29_15-54-42.png

Now add a laser sight to this Mare's Leg -- point'n'shoot lever point'n'shoot lever point'n'shoot lever point'n'shoot ... . Got 8 shots per tube magazine and when empty, can drop a new magazine-full out of the Speed-D-Loader eight times. The short Speed-D-Loader (there is also a long version that holds 11 cartridges per tube, eight tube chambers total) holds eight rnds/per individual tube chamber, with eight tube chambers = 64 rounds of .22 mag.

Rifle

Then out of a short barrel revolver

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.