Municipal Water Key

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Blackfish, Aug 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    For those who do not have, I highly recommend you get one or two or three municipal water keys and add them to your bug-out bag and/or survival gear. When the SHTF, water could be shut off. But municipal buildings and other important buildings may still be working. With a key, you could have an unlimited supply of fresh water to carry home.

2. Miskondukt

Miskondukt Active Member
      40/58

Blog Posts:
    Yurp, I've got one of these in my car bag and it's on my xfer list if I have to switch bags.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Where is the water lock located that this type key fits into.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    it fits into the hose bibb to turn it on or off. Some keys have four different size opening. To be warned though taking water from a private or municipal hose bibb would be stealing.

5. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    OK.........Now where do I find one of those municipal things.......that is not 100 plus mile hike......???

randyt, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    once the mains are shut down no water will be flowing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Is the Municipal Water Key also called a Sillcock key? If so, then yes, I have several, and keep one in my Get Home Bag.

If not then I will need a little more of an explanation on the Municipal Water key. THX.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that's the same thing.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Snyper, and I would strongly agree. It is one of the most forgotten items for a BOB, especially if you are bugging out in an urban location.

TMT Tactical and Miskondukt like this.
  10. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    even if the mains are off there may be some water in the piping. This water might gravity out the hose bibb. A gallon is better than nothing sometimes.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Every commercial build that has water, will have stored water until they are drained. The commercial building are required to have back flow preventers. City water pressure fills the building's pipes but the preventers stop the water from flowing back into the city pipes if the city water pressure drops. This is not common knowledge, so most of these building will be oasis's of hidden reserve water.

Miskondukt and Morgan101 like this.