My "assault " Lever Rifles And "assault " Pistols

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Oct 28, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    re: Americans fighting for other people and not getting decent mercenary wages

People seem to often have misplaced loyalties. A kid grown into adulthood will sometimes fight for his parents ... the very two people who back in the day used to beat him bloody.

"Mommy, do you love me?" She turns, looks down on him with cold steel eyes and slaps him across the face so hard that she ruptures one of his eardrums.

Years later, he bails the alcoholic cow out of jail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have been privileged to see one model of the M1 Garand Rifle which was experimentally chambered in .303 British for the testing by the Brits and they chose to stick with the Enfield Bolt action."

Wow

I'll not even bring up the subject of how one attempts to run rimmed cartridges through a receiver designed for rimless cartridges.

Decades ago, I could have purchased an 1895 Winchester chambered in .303 (many of these were manufactured for foreign markets), for $350 (double that number today due to the falling dollar). The rifle had been refinished and had lost its collector value. At the time, I had a few .303 Enfields and hundreds of rounds of .303 (in stripper clips loaded in bandoleers). I've always wanted shooters, not collectibles. I could kick my hind-end into next Tuesday for not buying that puppy. We had little kids, so the money was already spoken-for. Still, even today, I could kick myself for not buying that beauty.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like lever action rifles but only if it has side gate loading. I have no interest in tube magazines. Collector firearms hold not interest for me either. Accuracy, functionality and price point cost are my main criteria for firearms. Being a left had long gun shooters, I do prefer right hand bolt and left hand ejection, something very hard to find. Wheel guns have the advantage of simplicity and the ability to chamber heavier cartridges. The semi-auto typically has the load count advantages and faster follow up shots. Each type has it value / purpose. I have to admit I am not a big fan of the AR style pistols. To me, they are a spray and prey firearm.

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Speed-loaders for tube-fed lever-action rifles and pump-action rifles.

upload_2022-4-1_18-25-36.png

upload_2022-4-1_18-29-8.png

With a Rossi pump .22 rimfire, you can hold the trigger down and pump-out the entire tube magazine without having to pull the trigger each time. It's not as fast as full-auto, but is well beyond "rapid fire". I've had a few of these rifles (have several Speed-D-Loaders for them) and I really like the .22 magnum version. Out of a rifle, the .22 mag. can have the energy of a 9mm, but since the .22 (semi-jacketed) is such a light bullet, at these velocities, the bullet acts as if it has exploded. I shot a rabbit in the shoulder with a .22 mag and it turned the rabbit inside-out -- the bullet passing through sucked the rabbit's guts out. The .22 mag causes catastrophic injuries to humans; however, the low bullet weight keeps the projectile from digging deep enough to take-out a human's boiler-works. Dumping a tube of .22 mag in what I call "full pump mode" won't cut a human in half, but we're talking "bleeding like a stuck hog."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Let me repeat what the fellow in the above video said about Speed-D-Loader capacity.
      Each loader will hold:
      In .22 LR, 8 x 15 rnds = 120 rounds
      In .22 Mag, 8 x 11 rnds = 88 rounds

Four loaders with 120 rounds each = 480 rounds of .22 lr. ammunition
      Four loaders with 88 rounds each = 352 rounds of .22 mag; a .22 mag's muzzle energy is over 300 ft. lb.s.

Old Geezer, Apr 1, 2022
    2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer, Apr 1, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "The Cost Of An AK-47 On The Black Market Around The World"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...across-the-world-infographic/?sh=118245eb7442

"The first model of the AK-47 assault rifle was introduced into service with the Soviet army in 1948. Designed to be cheap and reliable as well as simple to operate and produce, the AK-47 and its derivatives remain the world's most widely used assault rifles seven decades later. In his book AK47: The Story of The People's Gun, Michael Hodges estimates that there are as many as 200 million Kalashnikov rifles in circulation worldwide [OldGzr's emphasis], one for every 35 people. On top of its cheap price, the weapon has proven hugely popular with soldiers, criminals and militants due to its durability and reliability.

"Some 200 different types of Kalashnikovs are now produced in at least 30 countries and vast quantities of the weapons have turned up in trouble spots all over the world for decades, especially in Africa. Hundreds of thousands of them disappeared after the breakup of Yugoslavia, frequently ending up in the hands of terrorists and criminals. Most of the Kalashnikovs used in the Paris attacks at Charlie Hebdo and the Bataclan theater were purchased in Belgium and traced back to the Balkans (and to Serbia in particular).

"Considering that the black market is awash with AK-47s, how much would it cost to illegally procure one? A new report from Global Financial Integrity has shed some light on the shady world of arms smuggling and the cost of an AK-47 in several different countries. In Afghanistan, the gun could cost as little as $600 while on Mexico's northern border with the U.S., the price would increase to $1,200. In Belgium where the Paris perpetrators obtained their Balkan Kalashnikovs, it has a price tag of about $1,135. An authentic model would cost $1,200 in Pakistan but a locally produced model can be obtained there for as little as $148. It is also possible to obtain an AK-47 through the darknet where costs typically range from $2,800 to $3,600."

-------------------------------------------------------

Ugly ammo-wasters, these. I'll stick with aimed fire. Should the need ever to arise to hose-down an area with lead, then out will come the pump shotguns and loads of buckshot. Whenever visiting a gun shop and I see nothing I really need, still I'll buy some ammo to help financially support the store and to use as future trade ... if I don't shoot the ammo up first. Buying a pack of buckshot is most often my habit. When it hits the fan, dog packs will be an issue.

TexDanm and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hunting ammunition is banned by the Hague Conventions because of its mutilating effects -- a human doesn't stand a chance. Hunting ammo kills / mutilates -- it's just the truth of the matter. The purpose of military ammunition (full metal jacket, no hollow points) however is to take combatants out of service and hopefully get the wounded soldier's mates to retrieve him and get him medical aid -- which makes them also non-combatants for a while. A splattered soldier is not in need of aid.

A deer rifle round to the human torso is usually fatal -- rare that anyone survives a direct hit. An arm or leg hit with a deer rifle round is often severed from the body.

Watch the first part of this video to see the action of hydrostatic on wet targets. Humans are also wet targets, by the way.

30-30

Disciplined rapid-fire lever action shooting:

Crazy (my estimation) rapid fire shooting with a lever:

Action shooting with firearms from the latter 1800s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uW1s3XbXL4

Tactical lever action shooting?! What, you're kidding! Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrL1xMYKsb4

Comment on the tactical levers: Me, I'd use .357 mag or .44 mag so as to get more rounds available in the tube. And hey, let's face it, out of a carbine the .357 and .44 rounds are mondo lethal.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the event of a world wide crash people are going to have to RAPIDLY adjust to a new realty. If someone threatens you it needs to be taken SERIOUSLY. A lot of people without the restrictions of laws and police to enforce those laws will become little more than animals. You have it, they want it, they kill you and take it.

You need to have people that you can TRUST with your life. One person can't stand against a group. You can make it costly for them to take what you have but even that is unlikly. A group is better able to discourage other groups from moving in on you. When food gets in VERY short supply thing will get UGLY in a way that most people are not truely prepared for.

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most people do not have any idea of just how crazy-violent into which a large segment of the human population can morph. Cops know. People who work as guards in prisons know. People in psychiatric health care know. Crime victims know. BUT still, the masses go through life with the illusion that, "It can't happen here. It can't happen to me. I live in a safe place. Bad things happen over there, not here!"

Such delusions have gotten over tens of millions killed in the past and are going to get more than tens of millions killed in the future. I believe that such self-satisfied people are incapable of being awakened ... until it will be too late. Me, I should really stop wasting my breath -- if they die, they die. I've tried.

I deeply hope that the info we've posted on this site has been read by our visitors and that some goodly number of these folk have made changes to their lives such that they will be better prepared for the dark future we face. We've posted useful information and we have encouraged people to go beyond what we've posted to learn how to make best preparations. What with covid, the growing crime rates, and the unstable world we face, many millions in America have been engaged in survival behaviors. Now what with inflation beginning to take-off and with shortages beginning to show up, for many it is too late. The times for prepping are passing. Those who have "missed the boat" and their families will suffer for their negligence .

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think to some extent people that live in the country will better adapt. If I hear someone breaking into my house I have to deal with it. There are no police to come to your rescue...and I LIKE it that way. Most of the people that I know that live out of town tend to be well armed and more than willing to defend their place.

The place that I used to live was prone to losing power, sometimes for days at a time in the winter. We were 7 miles of dirt roads out in the country. Ice would weigh down the limbs and they would break and take down the lines. I had heat, cooking, and lighting covered with propane heaters, coleman camping lanterns and stoves. We would move into the living room and kitchen and camp out there until the power came back on. LORDY the bathroom was COLD!! My wife made me put a heater in there eventually.

When you live sort of out in the middle of nowhere you tend to stay sort of prepared for long term power outages. When the weather got bad and power lines were down all over the place you are not going to be in a priority position.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Being raised in Southern Appalachia, we were used to bad winters and the inevitable power line breaks. One had power outages EVERY winter. Didn't mean much to folk. Still doesn't. Everybody had coal or wood heat as backup even if their homes had electricity. Everybody had (still do have) kerosene lamps and lots of candles. The wife and I store heavy blocks of paraffin (> 5 lb / ea.) and candle wicking to make/replace candles as they are used-up. True, I have a chain saw, but I also keep saws and axes to gather wood should I need extra.

Everybody takes care of the family firearms, so those last generations. Got a revolver my Pap carried over 100 years ago as a young man. Shoots exceptionally accurate -- Pap put rabbits in the pot with it. I've fired rifles built in the 1870s (Remington rolling blocks). There are always well-used, but well-maintained lever rifles for sale at all the gun stores. If you take care of mechanical devices that were well-built in the first place, they will last on and on. Some of the old rifles that put meat on tables for decades are now sought-after by collectors. The old folk find that a bit amusing.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In a survival situation where you are mostly avoiding trouble and only want a firearm for food providal simple is King. Autos are great as a defensive weapon BUT if you aren't careful you will waste ammo and too sone have a club. They also are more prone to needing a lot more care and cleaning if they are to stay dependable.

A man with a single shot rife will be DEADLY. He knows that he has one shot and if it fails to do the job he may be facing a return firepower that he doesn't want to deal with. He is more likly to either let you pass or take only a single KILLNG shot. He will be the one that you never saw.

I personally have no issues with surviving nature. It is the two legged animals that most concern me. I have not always walked the most civilized and legal path. I KNOW these sort of people and without the constant threat of the law they will be no better than rabid animals. The BAD news for them is that I am only SLIGTLY more civilized than them and will KILL them at the first sign of useless agression towards anyone that is no threat to them.

Where we differ is that they like to constantly start fights and are regularly in them. I don't like to fight so don't. If you threaten me I will ignore you until you turn your back on me and then just beat the ever loving crap out of you. In a post collapse situation that shifts to me disposing of your body.

Survival really is about the QUICK and the DEAD. I'm not real quick so if you threaten me I will just kill you. No fight. A fight infers that you will have a chance. I don't care if you are the baddest dude in the world! If you threaten someone they may just decide to take you out like a poisonous snake. My best friend was 5' 4". He regularly would get messed with. I would just sit back and watch the show.

He was solid as a rock and actually went to college on a football schoolarship. He played roving monsterman inbetween the linebackers and the deep backs. If you got past the linebackers you were his MEAT. LOL, he didn't have to try hard to get low and when he hit you, you were hurt and went down fast.

What I learned from him was simple. If a fight becomes inevitable YOU want to start it!!! He would back off until a bully let his attention wander and then be on him like a freaking MONSTER ripping out his hair and kicking him in the nuts over and over. When you are 5'4" you don't ever want to get in a long distance fight so he didn't. He would close and just decimate a big man before the big olf even knew that he was in a fight.

What I learned from him was that being bad wasn't good. What you wanted was to be the the quiet guy that the bad didn't mess with!!! I went off on a guy in the 9th grade and after that NOBODY messed with me. They had to drag me off of him before I killed him. He stopped fighting...I didn't. I wasn't through. LOL. my reputation after that wasn't that I was bad. It was that I was CRAZY and would try to kill you. That made the rest of my highschool years very peaceful.

I think that until then people sort of saw me as a freakishly big nerd. I was in all of the advanced math and english classes. I also played some football and at lunch when everyone else went to the cafateria and ate I went to the gym with a couple of other gym rats and lifted weights.

I NEVER ate at school. I got in the habit when I was young of only eating one meal a day. My parents especially my Dad were obsessed with perfict, as if eating with royalty on TV, table manners. It got easier to just avoid meals than listen to them/him bitch at me. Can you imgine chewing EACH bite a specified number of times??? I still only eat dinner in the evening.

11. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Was thinking about this one Olde Geezer...and remembered something from my firearms education...

What I remembered was my shock at looking closely at the very destructive effects of shooting my Hawkin .50 caliber black powder rifle...both with round ball...and also more modern Maxi Ball.....in cast lead...

The destructive power of cast lead is something to behold particularly in something like a .50 caliber projectile. The Energy delivered and the mashing out of the bullets/projectile....

And yet...cast lead was very common across this globe in firearms ammunition for a long long time before modern full metal jacket used by most of todays militaries. And the horrific wounds on the battle field were very very telling...with lead bullets.
    And this severe wounding effect..is what brought about the Hague Convention governing modern military ammunition.

Cast lead bullets are still sold and used in today's modern guns and still with devastating effects ...particularly with gas checks on them...but not for military purposes.

One of the most devastating bullets of which I can think close up is the 12 or 20 gauge rifled slug...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK, I may have already said this. I'm dispersing / selling my gun collection. My wondrous Winchester Trapper carbine went. Younger men need them. I'm near finished with life.

When giving away my .357 weapons, I wanted to buy something in .357 -- I had shit-loads of ammo, also. So, I bought a Rossi .357 Mod 92 lever. I'm a nostalgia nut. I wasn't expecting much. I paid a far lower price than other levers are now fetching.

Do NOT buy one!

Loading the Rossi 1892 lever is a pain ... literally. I'm not going to get into it. There are plenty of articles online appertaining.

Just do not by a Rossi lever. The story is just too long.

Me, I fiddle with things. I make modifications. I'm keeping mine, but you don't want one. Just trust me on this. Again, I'm a nostalgia nut. Love the look, but this rifle ain't no survival rifle.

These puppies, after you have loaded them, are a dream to shoot. They are accurate. They feed and fire -- zero problems.

Loading them with FMJs is not a problem (however, lead-nosed bullets = royal pain in the @$$ !!!). So, for the range, they are beyond fun. Love it. Hit a small piece of wood out at around 125 yards. Hitting a human enemy out at 200 yards would be no problem. May not kill him, but he will be stopped in his effort to kill you.

Survival value = .357 FMJs out of a rifle will shoot through walls. Flat point .357s will assuredly disable a human (at the very least; they will make a human spine explode). If someone attempts to engage you from a car or truck, understand that these bullets will sail through steel doors.

Buy a Henry or whoever, not a Rossi.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Winchester 357 mag years ago. I don't think that they sell them anymore. I like the 357 mag for a lot of reasons. Out of a rifle, it is good for deer out to about 100 yards maybe a little more but with open sights, 100 is about far enough.

At the type of distance that I am interested in it makes the rinky-dink 5.56 look like a joke. It is a stopper where the 5.56 was and is intended to cause casualties. Casualties win wars...I'm not going to fight wars. Wars leave opponents alive. I'm more of a kill them ALL sort if attacked. If you attack me and I wound you I WILL find you and finish you. The thing is that if I let you live you may come back at a later date and ambush me. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

A lot of people are going to have a hard time with the level of violence that is going to be happening. MANY will die before they adjust and learn that if you are threatened much less attacked on any level you want to kill them as soon as possible. Mercy will get you killed. Don't start a fight and avoid it if possible but if you fight you want to end it permanently!!

I've known a lot of good people but I've also known a lot of BAD people too and if you get crossways with them they will mess you UP. In a post-crash situation, they will just kill you if you don't kill them first.

Good manners will become a lot more important. If you act an ass around me and I feel in the least threatened you may end up dead. Fair fighting is for fools!! If you threaten me and then are stupid enough to turn your back on me you will never see it coming.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      I've just passed my beloved .357 Winchester Trapper (16" barrel) off to younger family. I'm keeping only that which I will likely need. Some toys I'm keeping as barter during the "in-between times" -- i.e. things have gone sideways, but the full-bore Mad Max hasn't come into play. Where I'm moving, there are still solid citizens, people with morality and cleanliness about them are the people most encountered. Was just back there and people will help you, conversations among strangers is the norm; a truck catches on fire and poof, six men are helping put out the fire (I myself helped-out during one such incident). In Texas, I've seen the same. My wife has siblings in Texas. Love Texas.

Old Geezer, Jul 3, 2022
      TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone else have enormous dangerous squirrels lurking about near where you live. We do and I'm going to have to break-down and buy a rifle that can take-on such dangerous game.

I really want a 20 mm gun. But the pricing is just way out of my range.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=20+mm+gun&t=newext&atb=v320-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

I've looked and looked, but now I feel like I've found just the rifle. This lever-action was a favorite of Teddy Roosevelt's. Chambered in .405 Winchester and offered in the classic 1895 model, these are still available.

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifle...-lever-action-4-rounds-24-barrel-new?p=540933

upload_2022-7-23_17-40-40.png

Brass is available. Here's one site that carries it:

https://www.rccbrass.com/405-winchester/

upload_2022-7-23_17-42-47.png

"Introduced on 1904 for the Winchester 1895 lever action rifle the .405 Winchester is one of the most powerful rimmed cartridges designed for lever action rifles. Winchester manufacture this round in the Model 1895 Single Shot, and it was manufactured in the Remington-Lee bolt action rifle, with numerous British and European companies manufacturing it in double rifles. It is also available in the Ruger No. 1 Tropical Single shot rifle.

"Theodore Roosevelt praised his 1895 Winchester as the “medicine gun” for lions and is capable of propelling a 300 grain, .411” dia. bullet at 2,200 fps with 3,224 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle. It has taken big game in Africa and is more than adequate for any game in North America.

"Roberson Cartridge Company is a custom manufacture of Vintage, Obsolete, Hard to Find and Wildcat calibers."

===============================================================

Most men do not like to talk about their fears, well in this case I will. These big furry creatures may look harmless, even cute, but they are the very manifestation of all that is terror. I fear them. The one we have may just be a two-story baby, yet I tremble to think of having to go out there and kill it.

I don't have a photo of the one scampering around where we live, but here is a photo of one rather large killer squirrel attacking a city.

upload_2022-7-23_17-36-9.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Old Geezer, Jul 23, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Come SHTF, you don't have to use smokeless powder in modern cartridges. As a reloading prepper, you've likely put back stacks and stacks of primers, plus obviously you've got your spent casings. OK, so you've made your own powder or have a bunch of Pyrodex put back. You cast your own bullets and have lead and .30 cal hard-lead bullets.

Here's a fellow loading cartridges for a 30-30 -- always has been a smokeless cartridge, but so what.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Inherit an old 30-30 lever action rifle? Going to trade it in or sell it? Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep this old puppy, for heaven's sake!

Likely, this old rifle has no paperwork on it. Excellent!

Is the cartridge obsolete in this day and age? Maybe. So what?! If something works, then it works. Several million deer have been put on the supper table with this cartridge. Venison is great meat. Non-fatty / lean protein, excellent food, essential vitamin B12 = Mother Nature's banquet for carnivores and omnivores (humans are omnivores) . Venison kept the First People alive for generations ... millennia. Venison = NO diabetes. The Creator is the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

Many survival shots are decidedly short range. Want a long-range rifle? OK, so go out there and buy one. But, for heaven's sake, DO NOT trade-in a generations family rifle. This would be a stupid and insulting decision.

Enough said. Ammo is still available. Survival rifle? Why the heck not?!!! Go to your local gun shop and pay cash to buy several boxes of ammo. You may want to compare different ammo manufactures to see which ammo shoots best in the rifle. If you are unsure of the rifle's safety, then get a gunsmith to check it out and clean it for you. Then, you take it out to the range and become familiar with it.

Here's a classic video by Paul Harrell concerning the "obsolete" 30-30 (I've posted this video a dozen times; Paul is beyond expert, when it comes to firearm topics):

More info:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    There is nothing wrong with the 30-30. There ae more versatile cartridges but does not make the 30-30 a bad cartridge.

Old Geezer likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Our site has many visitors and many may not be particularly versed in this or that. For our members, a lot of what I post is already known. Often, I'm "preaching to the choir."

One phenomenon that really gets under my skin is when someone inherits or is gifted a "dated" firearm and some armchair "expert" tells them that the firearm is too old, is chambered for an "obsolete" cartridge, or even told, "Hey man, that's dangerous! Use it as a wall-hanger, but don't you shoot it."

Visitors, if this has happened to you, take the firearm to a qualified gunsmith -- not a relative of yours, not just any gun store. I've heard "experts" who happen to work at gun shops give upside-down information, i.e. disinformation. There are certifications for trained gunsmiths. Look for that.

If the smithy has no-go gauges and other specialized tools, that's a good sign that he knows what he's about.

I have routinely shot firearms manufactured over 100 years ago. If the firearm is deemed usable, then there are cartridge companies who load ammo for "obsolete" chamberings. The ammo might just be rather expensive indeed, yet the ammo is out there. Too, you can buy cartridge cases and reloading supplies to "roll your own" ammo for the firearm. Reloading will allow you to go a touch below full loads to make sure the firearm is not pushed beyond its pressure-handling capabilities (never load too low, because that can be dangerous -- long story that). Buying "expensive" ammo is cheaper than buying a new firearm to replace your "obsolete" firearm. Your great-grandfather's hunting rifle (or shotgun, whatever) might just be a total gem and a workhorse one at that. Cutting to the chase, a dead deer is a dead deer; venison is food on the supper table. :)

Obsolete scope on at perfectly good rifle? Buy a new name-brand scope and mount that on the rifle. Don't know how to do that, let the gun shop mount the scope for you. Need shooting instruction? Know that there are a lot more instructors out there today than back in my youth. (My riflery training in youth -- way too young by today's standards -- was under some "unique" circumstances.)

That sure was long-winded of me. Sorry, I'm old. My senior brain does data-dumps. There are libraries under my bald dome. Imagine a too full library that leaks. :confused: Difficult to plug these leaky libraries.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      I traded a new 25-06 Remington (I think, hard to remember) rifle for an old 1958 Sako 243 rifle. The Sako was and still is a tack driver, sub - MOA accuracy. This trade was before my reloading days and the 25-06 was a newly released cartridge. While the 25-06 was a very good shooter too, the ammo was too expensive and also very hard to find. But if somebody had left me that rifle, I would have kept it and just purchased the SAKO. The SAKO is now a SAFE Queen, due the difficulty to get any repair parts but in a pinch, I would not hesitate to use it. Follow OG's advice and have a reliable gunsmith check out any newly acquired firearm. Ammo is still a lot cheaper than buying a new firearm.

TMT Tactical, Feb 24, 2024
      watcherchris likes this.
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "... 1958 Sako 243 rifle ..."

"... The SAKO is now a SAFE Queen ..."

Nooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get that puppy out of the safe and fire that puppy!

Nothing is going to happen to that rifle while using it. Dings? Well yeah sure; but, so what. What's the point in having a pickup truck without dents and rust?!

I keep my rifles in safes, but I get'em out and fire them. I have a couple of British Enfield bolts WWII era, an Aussie and a Brit. Both are almost museum grade, perfect bores, all original furniture. Yet, have I shot them, sighted them in? Oh boy, have I ever!

A Sako rifle is built like a bank safe. You already know not to dry fire it. Even really warm loads aren't going to set the bolt back. Its extractor will be functioning a hundred years from now.

Q: Have you ever had to order parts for it? If something failed on it, I'd be shocked.

Plus, the .243 is a sweet cartridge. Use it for varmints at distance. Use it for deer out to 300 yards anyway. Just change bullet types. Too, reloaded and tested reloads will buy you even greater distance energy and accuracy.

Before I forget, what's the barrel length on that Sako .243? Regular barrel or light weight barrel?

1. TMT Tactical
      Son #1 did manage to break the bolt stop pin. Gunsmith was able to fabricate a replacement pin, so good to go. It is a beauty and does have a couple of trail scratches. Barrel is 22 inches and I think it is a standard barrel. I have tried to get parts for it in the past but it is almost impossible. I do take it out about once a year, just to blow off the dust and admire it. It has a supper light trigger, about 1.5 pound pull and no discernable creep. I have not developed any hand loads as it shot a .75 inch, 5 shot group @ 100 yards with factory ammo.

TMT Tactical, Feb 24, 2024
      watcherchris likes this.