My "assault " Pump .22 Rifles And "assault " Combination Guns...

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Mar 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Ok...folks...here we go again ..in the rabid "Assault" on American gun ownership...I decided to post my next acquisition in the Assault category since eventually gun ownership will be deemed in America as "Offensive" and an Assault to the sensibilities of the nation.

Here are my two "Assault " Rossi Pump rifles in .22 calibration...one carbine and one full length.

I verily enjoy shooting these two rifles as they often remind me of the olde gallery guns. They will shoot and handle .22 longs, long rifles, as well as .22 Shorts and this is another reason I verily like them....flexibility.
    Oh..and they are also a takedown rifle. Another plus to me.

Here..

8074e94d2a24fbfa2cea130b046938ae.jpeg

and again here in assembled functional form...ready to go to work.

And there you have it ..two .22 caliber "Assault" Pump rifles.

Oh...one more thing....these two rifles have an unusual feature..though I do not recommend shooting them thus as it adds little to accuracy.

And that is that in holding the trigger down ...you can just pump them and they will continue firing. This is sometimes called "Slam fire." This was factory made to do this.

I have this feature also in a Ithica Model 37 pump shotgun and definitely do not recommend it there. It is difficult to keep hold of a 12 gauge shotgun when it slam fires.

Now...here are photos of two "Assault" combination guns...a Savage model 24C and also a Savage model 24V.

Here....

On the top in this photo you see the Savage Model 24 V in 20 gauge on the bottom barrel with a .357 Magnum in the upper barrel.

The cased "Assault" Combination gun in the bottom of the photo is the Savage Model 24C in .22 long rifle on the top barrel and 20 gauge on the bottom.
    These are straight out bore shotgun barrels in these "Assault" Combination guns.

And here is the gun uncased...

Model 24V on top and Model 24 C on the bottom.

On the "Assault " combination gun in the bottom of the photo...there is a small tab at the back of the stock which can be pulled or slid out to expose storage space for shotgun shells and a number of .22 LR cartridges. A nice feature of this kind of tool.

There is a selector built into the Hammer which allows you to select the upper barrel or the bottom shotgun barrel for firing.

I like this set up, a single shot combination gun as a Prepper tool. Simple and reliable. Nothing fancy ..just business.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

2. TENNGRIZZ

TENNGRIZZ Expert Member
      148/173

Blog Posts:
    Nice set up always wanted one the Savage O/U just never bought one. One of my buddies has the Rossi pumps they are nice rifles FOR SURE. I went a little different route with the Taurus 9 shot revolving rifle and pistol combos with 2 cylinders each one in 22 MAG and one in 22 LR. Also went with the Circuit Judge rifle and pistol combo that shoot both 410 and 45 Long Colt. This started because my wife got me a Circuit Judge Carbine for a retirement gift , both set ups are great Homestead , small game / varmint and close range Deer guns think Bow range using Hornady Leverultion 45 Ammo , plus these are extremely fun weapons for the grandkids to learn shooting skills and safety. JMHO and S/FI!

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got three of the Rossi pumps; long and short barrel in .22 LR, plus one in .22 mag. I have an irrational liking for the .22 mag. Massod Ayoob really liked the .22 mag.; he called the cartridge "nasty" due to the amount of damage these puppies would impart. Groundhogs and medium-sized dogs at close range are rendered dead on the spot with a thoracic shot. The .22 mag is NOT for small game -- shot a rabbit & it was turned inside out, i.e. totally inedible, its bowels came out its chest.

Post SHTF, people are not going to eat or just euthanize their pets. People are going to take them somewhere and dump them. So maybe only one or two out of ten will make it. How?! By being mean enough to make it into a pack. A pack of dogs is a swarm of evil. Post SHTF, all feral dogs must be shot. Better have a repeating rifle or a pump shotgun. See'em, shoot'em. For your own dogs, fence them in, tall fence. Dogs have NO problem eating meat that you consider "too far gone". You can poison a dog, but it takes some doing.

Pumps in .357 mag, .44, or .45 Colt will set you back money-wise. I'm talking $1200 U.S. dollars or above. The Israeli Timberwolf .357 has been out of production forever and if you can find one for sale, will be knock you down clown expensive. There are plenty of .357 and .44 levers about used and relatively cheap, however the tried and true pump rifle in handgun caliber, well ... what a shame.

I've read that some of these .357 pump reproduction rifles out of Italy have major issues with feed'n'fire. This even if you experiment with different cartridge lengths / bullet seatings.

Pump shotguns, thank goodness, one can get in most any configuration.

TMT Tactical and TENNGRIZZ like this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a Model 90 Winchester with an octagon barrel that belonged to my Great Grandfather. It is a lovely little piece and fun to shoot.

I always wanted a Savage 24V in 357/20 ga. For my use, it would be a pretty good do it all weapon. Downloaded 38 special rounds would be fine for small game and the 357 mag would do well on the small white-tailed deer that we have here. A 20 gauge will do most anything that you can do with a standard length 12 ga and also allow you a smaller lighter shell.

I guess my favorite "assault" weapon that I own is my AR-7. With 25 round magazines that I have hand-fitted to my gun, it is very dependable and offers a lot of firepower in a package that weighs VERY little and can break down into an easily carried package.

My only real assault type weapon is a Mossberg defender with a 20" barrel. It holds 8 shells in the tube and has an assault type collapsing stock. An underslung superbright flashlight a side mount 6 shell bandolier with 10 more rounds on the sling. I have seriously thought of adding a bayonet to it. Nothing says don't mess with me better than a big pig sticker on the front of your long gun.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not too long back at a local gun store, they had a 32-20 pump rifle, Winchester I think. Lordy lordy how I wanted to buy that puppy! My dad's dad carried a 32-20 revolver and put meat on the table with it. Always kept a hand pointed beacon mounted on the side of his car, y'kow like what the cops have. He'd spotlight critters & they'd freeze; he'd then pop them in the head. Stewpot meat will keep a family alive. He'd gotten pretty crippled, however he was a dangerous man with a gun. He didn't just shoot four-legged critters.

I was taught to eat what I shot ... except people. Lions say that people taste gamey. I'll take their word for it.

086a5d9876281f4944189e1af920045c.jpeg

TMT Tactical and Desert Girl like this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wow....you guys are a hoot.....

But Texdanm...you are correct about pump rifles in .357 Magnum...they are indeed expensive....if you can even find one available on the marketplace.

So when I found this Savage Model 24V available on the club bulletin board...I jumped on it because I knew they were no longer being made and also I recognized the simple utility in it.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Took time today in going to Bass Pro and picked up two gun cases...zipper cases..

One for this Savage Model 24V and I have cleaned this Combination gun...disassembled it...and put it disassembled into this case. The case has a divider in it whereby the disassembled gun can be placed and also ammunition. I have also, for some reason, chosen to put in the same cases with this combination gun...a set of heavy thinsulate winter gloves.

Also a box of 100 count .357 magnum loads...and a box of 10 turkey shotshells in 20 gauge. I will be purchasing more 20 gauge shells in the coming weeks...an assortment in 20 gauge.

Also I purchased a pistol case for my Ruger Government MK II .22 LR. pistol...and placed this pistol in the car next to my other combination gun..in .22LR over 20 gauge.

Also I purchased two bags of .38 Special....Brass...Starline..total 200 count.

A bag of .40 S&W brass...Starline...100 count

One box of 158 grain .357 caliber Hornady XTP hollow points for reloading...100 count.

Thanks,

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.