My Customised Trade Kettle.

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by Keith H., Apr 21, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some years ago I purchased a tin lined brass trade kettle from Track Of The Wolf. Unfortunately it was too large & too heavy. Finally I got round to cutting this kettle down to the correct historical size, & I made & fitted the correct type of bail lugs. It is much lighter now, & it will take up less room in my knapsack.
    5690f3139ccb10ca44182f4c6e3b9a8d.jpeg 5690f3139ccb10ca44182f4c6e3b9a8d.jpeg

elkhound, randyt, Morgan101 and 2 others like this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For originality, I have a three-legged cast iron 1.5-quart pot. It hangs beside one just like it that my GreatGreatGreat carried throughout the civil war. for my use, I carry a 1.75-quart aluminum coffee pot or a two-quart copper bottomed stainless steel pot with a bail. It is big enough to cook in for one and big enough to boil water in a decent quantity.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mate there is something very special about owning an original antique item. I have a similar one to the one you mention, too large to carry when travelling, but I love having it.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It is hard to find just the right pot for your carry kit. for bugging in I prefer cast iron and have a full set of that. Unfortunately, it is too heavy to carry now. In the recent past tin alternatives were often not good for longterm use because they rusted. You had to try and find the OLD school tin to have that sort of quality and lasting power like your little kettle.

I have tried a lot of different pots and kettles. The thing is that a bail is a must and the only small pots that have them are designed for camping purposes. Aluminum is light and will work but honestly, for cooking on a wood campfire I'm not sure how long they will last. They are OK for a short term but for the long haul, I want better. I like my copper bottom stainless steel pot but it is a little smaller than I would prefer at about 1.5 liters. I would prefer one in the 2-liter area. I like that size because I can boil water to fill two canteens or fill one and drink the rest. Also, a larger pot allows me to cook larger things.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think you have made the right choice Tex. As an aside, talking of tin kettles, I have found several in our forest hanging on low dead branches of trees, the bottoms rusted out. No doubt left there by travelers passing through a long time ago. Interesting though.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.