My New 40 Pound..............................sleeping Bag

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Sep 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I think I currently have 18 sleeping bags, and five of them weigh 17.5 pounds each. One weighs a little over 22 pounds.

So planning for the SHTF Today I ordered two more of the "TETON" -35 degree XXL Outfitter Sleeping Bags. This should give me several hundred pounds of total weight of all sleeping bags.

"The TETON Sports Outfitter XXL -35ºF/-37ºC is a large and comfortable sleeping bag. At 92 inches long and 39 inches wide, this spacious sleeping bag is longer than a twin mattress and only 1 inch narrower. The zipper baffle and padded drawstring opening keeps drafts out. This bag's staggered seams distribute fill evenly and reduce compression to eliminate chilly spots. It has cotton flannel lining for ultimate comfort. It comes with no-snag, self-repairing zippers which open top or bottom for adjustable ventilation and connects easily to a second bag for shared sleeping space. This is the best extreme weather rectangular bag you’ll find."

2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    In a true several years long SHTF survival event in Alaska, being able to rotate sleeping bags every few days to allow the moisture to evaporate, drying the bag would prolong the useful life of the bag, and enhance the comfort. I slept on the snow, (no tent) one night when it hit -39 degrees. It was a test......and that bag failed. But I got a valuable education.....Painful and never tried that again.

3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well you sold me, Sourdough. Where do I get one?

If you have 18 of them couldn't you put two together, one inside the other, and have something just as warm? You are walking the walk, so I am just asking. Maybe it doesn't work that way.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    YES.........And I have done that.

You likely have noticed that I am substantially shifting my preparations to a different direction. The goal is to not require any heat from any source. Not for food preparing, not for living environment. And do that totally hidden. Hidden from visual observation and from thermal instrument observation.

Most big sporting good stores have theses bags. I see that Amazon.com has several levels of this type bag. In the past I have bought them at Sportsman's Warehouse. I ordered these two from Amazon because they deliver to the bottom of my mountain for free.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDP3BA0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...f11-f27f0b1334e4&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_18232605011

Note: I don't prepare for 30 or 60 or 90 day grid down situations. I prepare for three to five years of survival with zero help-assistance or human contact. And pray it never comes to that level of survival.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    that looks like a great deal. How do they compare to aa wiggys. Been thinking about getting a wiggys but this one may work for me.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I view these as fixed location bags. But I do take one to Kodiak Island when guiding Monster Brown Bear hunters. I have never owned a Wiggys bag, but they have a great reputation for quality. I also have a North Face "RAGING INFERNO" bag, it is the mother of all down mummy bags.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thankfully our winters here are generally mild enough that I could get by with a bedroll and mosquito bar and skip a sleeping bag.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    My wife sowed together liners as inserts for our sleeping back that we can use to air out our body sweat. I admit I haven’t tried to air out the liners at -35, but the liners certainly help with helping prevent sweat in the sleeping bag and also adds some warmth. Our summer liners are old bed sheets, and our thickest liners are wool blankets, and we have a few liners each for each season.

No you got me thinking about additional sleeping bags!

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The athletes that do the "I DID'a SHOE" and "I DID'a SKI" and "I DID'a BIKE".......They use a large plastic bag inside the sleeping bag, to keep the moisture out. Get up, dump the sweat, Towel off, dress and go.

TMT Tactical likes this.