New Member New Fella From The Uk

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by paul m, Feb 18, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Hello all.I live in England.New here but not new to prepping. I love to fish,grow food and raise small livestock.I am looking forward to checking out the forum and contributing where I can.

Mr Boots and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day to you Paul, & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

3. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for your welcome Keith.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    welcome mate.

5. AntonyRaison

AntonyRaison Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Welcome aboard.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not meaning to be too nosy, however I'd like to ask about your surroundings. Sounds like you have a bit of property, maybe even a small farm. Do you live far from an urban area? You like to fish, so the question arises, Do you have anything approaching clean running water, a stream?

Do you have a wood-burning stove or a coal stove? Doing well with that?

Do not reveal on this site or any other sites what firearms you own -- this, due to the insane laws of your country. If you have general questions concerning, ask and ye shall receive, knock and it will be opened unto you.

I ask such questions, because in the realm of prepping, we are always concerned that post-SHTF, panicked urban people (most without any skills whatsoever), will spill out of the cities for the purpose of looting what they need, regardless of who they harm. Let me not forget to mention also the central concern of having available clean-enough water to be filtered and boiled.

I'm an American and this country is BIG. I have returned to and grew up in amongst the Appalachian Mountains (Scots-Irish, i.e. Ulster Scots culture and blood line). England is not so large, yet there are tens of millions of people living on your island. England = 660 people / square mile. USA = 85 people / sq.mile. My dad was stationed in England during WWII prior to the invasion of the continent. He left me with a very positive impression of the people there. He was treated very kindly there. I have concerns for those wishing Liberty in today's Great Britain.

Your urban areas are fragile relative to the hard times for which we are headed in Western nations. Quite frankly, I do not think urban people will make it post-SHTF. I am however very hopeful that families such as yours will make it through.

It is indeed refreshing to read of your self-sufficiency and independence. You can provide stories about your techniques of raising small livestock and maintaining your gardens. Know that I have found much useful information on this site. If there specifics you would like to ask, this site is super-open to the answering of questions to the best of our abilities.

I was heavily involved in shooting sports in my youth and thus can answer questions regarding this topic. My gardening skills are not grand by any description.

Welcome

7. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Hi. I have a large property, but not a farm. My growing space is about a quarter acre. Within that are two polytunnels and a green house. I keep poultry and rabbits.

We have a well, which is good and clean. Our heating is multi fuel. Wood and coal. Very economical.

I fish on the river which is about 500 yards from here. I have shooting permission along there too. Contrary to what Americans may think, firearms are easy to acquire in the UK as long as you are legally allowed to.

Hope that helps.

Mr Boots likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Howdy from East Texas. Always good to have new friends.

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most excellent! Grand! Such things you have available are treasures in "modern" nations.

Speaking of treasures, having a well with clean water is a gold mine. Do you have backup power for the well's water pump? If not, you'll need such.

Since you have wood and coal burning capabilities, you can use steam as a source of electricity. Steam generators are available even unto today:
    https://www.google.com/search?sourc...b..0.23.1548...0j0i131k1j0i10k1.0.1y-1PGDbCVY

Making steam is one thing, but enclosing it and piping it to the electric generator is a trick. Here are some ideas in visual form:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mak...v5raAhVnzlkKHeETAacQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1171&bih=597

When I was a boy, my grandmother's home was heated by coal, plus I build fires in the fireplace to warm up after walking there after school. In winter, that was one cold walk. I used to stoke the hopper for the coal furnace, then haul up some coal for the fireplace.

You may wish to think about water filtration and treatment should your well ever be compromised. Your call. If you are out far enough away from contamination sources, then this may be of no concern. My kin built their cabins where water sprang out the rocks on a mountainside. This water was mega-pure and was cold enough to hurt your teeth. Everybody had a large cistern next to their kitchen. I remember drinking this wondrous mountain water out a big'ol ladle. Most of my folk lived into their 80's and 90's. My mom's mom lived to 100. I seem to doubt that anything was wrong with the water.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Paul, I'm another Brit, there are more of us around then most people would suspect

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    aint that the truth!!!;)