"new Invention" (with Skills Needed) For Water/amphib Safety

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Pragmatist, Sep 28, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.asiaone.com/digital/ite-students-developing-drones-drop-lifesaving-floats-swimmers-need

Good afternoon all,

Per ...

It's a drone with a lifesaving float or ring or whatever loaded below it. If the team has transponder braclets - ditch the paracord one or just make room for the transponder bracelet - the team is safer.

Anyone whoever worked a LAPES - Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System - know that all this is about crews not in the aircraft.

"I'm shocked - shocked ..." Police Inspector Renault (Claude Rains) movie, Casa Blanca

howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The need for a transponder bracelet kills the concept. "Help me, I am drowning and I can't get up" LOL Another $30,000 research grant wasted.

3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon TMT,

What ? No high tech to the rescue ?

Wait 'till they learn sometimes even weather forbids flight opns even for drones.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

This is just a project or concept project, but I think the bracelet should get triggered upon contact with salt water like some emergency locator beacons or in contact with water in general less the possibility of rain doing an accidental trip where the bracelet should detect constant motion via an onboard gyroscope like what's in a smartphone or tablet.

Weather permitting? Use a helium filled balloon with added electrically driven giant props. You'll save on weight and increase possible flying ability. 10 cookies if the balloon drone has human identification via FLIR.

On the other hand, weight may be an added factor when it comes to wind resistance. I'm not exactly sure if a solid piece of mass versus that of a lighter one with giant props will have in a windy situation. Common sense says the balloon driven drone will have less wind resistance. But I'm just wondering about the giant props. I'm talking about props that are analogous to props of a V-22 Osprey versus that of a Cessna 172.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I said this in another thread and I'll say it again. STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) needs to be taught rigorously seen as how this is the future of employment.

STEM should be part of the curriculum from at least 5th grade on up.

When I was in high school I took a class called principals of technology. This class was more of an advanced physics and math class than anything. We dealt with delta Δ v stuff (change in velocity) units like Newtons, Coulombs, volts, work in, work out, etc. Was a very interesting class and there were four levels freshman though senior. I still have my book and I've been meaning ot go back and read through it all so that I can figure out certain things I'm trying to -- figure out. LOL

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning F22,

Who will teach STEM classes ? How will this get paid for ? Can a local school district hire the teachers with local real estate taxes that are allocated to the school district ? If the local area's population shrinks, the program won't have the taxes.

The SAR drone is just a college project.

What must be accepted are the 2 sides of the equation:

1. What if the person in distress is injured ? How will this person get to shore/safety ?

2. Can the SAR crew work the drone at night ? Doesn't helium defeat the mobility of the drone ?

I lean toward the requirement that anyone working near or around water to have as PPE a utility floation vest. They are relatively inexpensive. For the sophisticated operations, there are the everything on it types of vest. Bring $$$.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I read many yeas ago about a drone about the size of a car used as an air ambulance. So that could be used in lieu of a very expensive helicopter. Though, a drone and its maintenance could be the same, I'm not sure.

TMT Tactical likes this.