Observations From A Recent Power Outage..

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by watcherchris, Jun 17, 2023.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A severe storm came through here last night and also across the river was a Tornado.

The electric power went out for several hours....but I did not hook up any of my generators.

Two observations came about from this power outage...,free ...no cover charge.....

One.....I am thinking about getting an olde style lazy boy recliner with the manual lever on the side. It seems that this newer electric lazy boy recliner I have does not operate when the power goes out.

Wow!!!! Now that is serious business....my Lazy Boy Recliner....that is Holy Ground Highlander!!!!!

No electricity...no working Lazy Boy Recliner...Wow!! That is as serious as the Sky Falling...Chicken Little.!!!

Oh..and this recliner also has in the side of it near the electric controls....a USB type connector wherein one can charge ones cell phone and such gadgets....that too did not work with the power out.

It is wonderful when the power works...but no go/no joy... when the power is out. Also .....fortuneatly for me I keep spare batteries for my cell phone in a plastic bag in my pocket...two spare batteries. I will not buy a cell phone wherein in cannot change out the batteries at my discretion...and in like manner ....remove them.

Second point....observation...
    This newer gas stove I bought some years back..I prefer gas to electric...

This stove has electric starters for each of the burners on top and also the oven. None of those starters work when the electricity is off.

I had to start the burners....manually ...with an olde type long necked butane lighter.....but no problem. A simple manual override.

If you decide to get a stove with eclectic starters....just remember ...if the power goes out your burners will not work..in the normal. manner....be prepared to use a manual method to start your burners...a manual override.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

2. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I need to keep an eye on.... in regards to purchases I make.... with a mind to the power going out.

Don't get me wrong...technology and modern innovation is wonderful...but too dependent to me....on electric power....

What do you do ...or know how to do if the power goes out. Do you know how to do it the olde ways....or are you even able to improvise......do a manual bypass..a manual override??

Yup..I need to tighten up here in this department.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Re-tested our generator. Working fine. note: Always have spare spark plugs on-hand for all your engines.

Had already gotten my spare fuel containers filled. Put fuel stabilizer in to keep it from degrading. Ran the lawnmower until it ran out of gas. Leaving fuel inside a motor will result in a lacquer-like build-up.

Most likely use for generator would be for refrigerator and freezer. However, our nights here dip below freezing temps. Shoot, I could freeze water at night, then put that ice in the refrig. for daytime cooling. Our current outside daytime temperature is that of the inside of a refrigerator. I could just put items out on the porch to stay cold during the day.

Over the years we've accumulated stacks of winter wear. Christmas gifts and all that. Don't forget scarves and hoods to keep your neck warm when the winter winds get nasty. Wool caps / "watch caps" are also needed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people over here would -and do- go mental when the power goes off, only preppers have alternatives most of the masses dont even own a flashlight.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.