Older Usgi Gas Cans

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Oct 22, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a few of the older ww2 era usgi gas cans. The type with the screw in spouts. I've been noticing that these are becoming collector items. Been thinking about selling them and replacing with something newer, maybe plastic. I'm not sure how well the metal gas cans will be for long term storage of gasoline.

any thoughts

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    They are collectors items, as the gasoline does break down the metal on a cellular level, but then again, it does the same to plastic, and much faster i believe! If they are in good condition, I would do both. maybe sell one to afford to fill the others with gas and some sta-bol!!

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Metal is better for storage than plastic if it has a good seal. The plastic is ports so oxygen can work its way in and the volatiles can find their way out. both actions degrade the fuel.

randyt, TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.