Olkahoma-arkansas Flooding

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/flooding-leads-to-oklahoma-and-arkansas-evacuations

Subject: Flooding, the evacuations

Article per ...

Note the article's mentioned perils: eg failing levees, no power in Bragg, Oklahoma.

WHERE do the water rescue teams bring the evacuees to ? Ref "87 people have been injured..." NOTE the absence of mentioning flood waters and disease transmitted by flood waters.

The injured and water infected will probably be funneled to a makeshift emergency shelter. Professional medical care ?! The roads were closed from the flooding. The medical folks couldn't report to the shelter.

Now for the negative news; Infection control from flood waters isn't a big item of study in the medical programs.

Morgan101, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If what has been predicted for climate change is true, there will be a lot more of this worldwide.
    Keith.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This is nothing new, Keith. Floods are just part of life in a lot of areas. This is a bad one and there have been a lot of tornados this year too. This is the weather, not climate change. Climate change is something that happens over a long period, not a bad year. Now if it did this again and again over a decade that might indicate a climate change but a single year no matter how bad isn't very telling about the future.

A few years ago we had a drought and the global warmers assured us that this was how it was going to be from now on. Since then we have had SEVEN, what they call, century floods and now they are howling that this is global warming. Cold winters are global warming. When there is a climate change it will be a long term change, not a yearly one.

As near as I can figure out we are about on schedule for a climate change. The last several hundred years have been amazingly peaceful meteorologically speaking. Entire civilizations ALL OVER THE WORLD have in the past gone from massive heights to nothing because of long term droughts that dragged them down. these things are world changing. The US received a ton of great new citizens as a result of a famine in the UK at one time. The US had the Dust Bowl period when lots of good farmland just dried up and blew away.

All of this has happened regularly in the past and then changed back just like it was better in a few years. Where I live we have been at flood stage weeks and weeks and this is already the second time this year. From what I understand you are bone dry. Give it a few years and you will probably be soaked and I'll be burning up...

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    If wishes were fishes, I could feed the whole world. Did we learn nothing from climategate?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    ROFL

SOL, I'm laughing so much now will probably miss a talk show that just started.

I wouldn't know the difference from a hockey stick and a javelin. Maybe those professors at University of East Anglia can offer us a course on this. I recall that Climategate involved a Prof / Dr of climate-ology needing trillions of $$$ - maybe of pounds sterling - to prevent the planet from evaporating.

I've been around long enough to remember the Club of Rome with their warning that the world is running out of food, out of petroleum and that the sky is falling.

A few of us here added a definition for the climate-ologists; "Peer Review" = to falsify.

6. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL< I remember the cover of Time decrying the coming Ice Age back in the 70s lol. They are so full of shit that MY eyes are turning brown lol

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When they get so that they can predict tomorrows weather and be right at least half the time they are going to have a hard time selling me their predictions for the distant future. I no longer even look at the weather forecast for my area. I instead look at the radar and the maps and do a better job than their computers can for my local weather.

Most of the time now I think that the computers are basing their predictions on algorithms that are more based on what has happened in the past than what is happening right now. Over and over I have looked at the long term forecast and noticed that they hang onto them even to the point where the forecast is for rain and when you look at the radar there isn't a cell within a thousand miles. As the time gets closer you would think that they would adjust and become more accurate...they don't.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Tax Dan M,

You're right. Time to recall first FEMA Director James Lee Witt's statement ot Congress "As we all know, disasters are very political events". There's a reason we don't use the European forecast models - I "call 'em as see 'em" to quote a baseball guy. Hurricane Sandy converting into a storm when arriving at the New York City border tells must to the astute. (No hurricane insurance payouts).

Still, it's good to those starting into all this to know about the clouds and the scenerios eg real nice bright weather for taking out the boat - - - and then the sky darkens, it's getting cooler, falling barometric pressure and the boat has that to and fro sensation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When you are on the water you need to always be very aware of what is on the horizon. I'm pretty good at this and usually am back ashore before the storm gets to me. That said, if you are going to be out and very far from your landing you need to have a spend the night storm kit onboard. I have a small bag that always goes with me whether I am in my boat or with someone else. There are times when you are much better off just heading to the nearest shore and riding it out there than trying to make is home. I've seen inland lake go from almost glass smooth to impossible 6 and 8-foot waves in just a few minutes a couple of times.

We have a lake near here that is famous for doing that and there have been bass tournaments where as many as 20 or 30 boats ended up swamps and in need of rescue. They say that it has to do with the orientation of the lake matching the most common prevailing winds in a storm there. When I am on that lake I am hyper-aware of what is happening in the distance. I have also experienced what I think was an airburst. Blue skies and calm seas and then BAM, hard winds and big waves then in 5 minutes, it seemed like hours, it was over gone and never a cloud in the sky.

Fresh water is lighter than salt water and jumps up a little faster but the wave frequency is shorter. That is BAD. you don't want to be going down one wave when you hit the base of the next one. I basically surfed one single wave almost 15 miles one day on Sam Rayburn. It was going my way so rather than spend the night I got on top of a monster and just stayed there as we went down the lake. When we got to our exit I dropped into the trough and ran out of it into our cove.

10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    We expected the flooding to be bad this year. When the North has a severe Winter the Midwest and the South get flooded in the Spring. We have been fortunate. It has been a novelty and not a threat. Minor inconveniences; having to take a different road to get home; but the water is not close.

We get the severe temperature and weather swings TexDanm mentioned. It happened last week. Started out as a 50 degree morning, and turned to a mid 80 degree afternoon. Perfect tornado weather. Hot air keeping the cold air from rising. They mix together and spin. Nasty storms and power outages, but I don't think anything touched down.

We just live with it. It has been this way for as long as anyone can remember.

TMT Tactical likes this.