Pet / Livestock Evacuations

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Jun 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    http://www.readyforwildfire.org/Animal-Evacuation/

For those with pets and/or livestock, above link can serve as a foundation document for planning.

At the link's end, at section IF YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR PET;

Apparently it is not known to the State of California that there is a "sticker" or outside sign to alert rescue workers that you've evacuated and pets / livestock are inside.

Definitely add time of day or evacuation and date.

I believe ASPCA gives out these "stickers" / signs.

For the sophisticated, there's a category of pet called "wet pets". I need not...I hope not...explain. Arrange for their well being also.

2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Our pets have always been included in our plans. I am quite certain my wife would leave me behind before she would even consider leaving a pet behind. We have all of these things in place including a BOB for pets. I don't think it is mentioned in this article, but for dogs (I am sure) and I believe for cats you should have one ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. That is the minimum recommended amount.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  3. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Funny, and probably true here as well.

I added the paper dogs vaccination records to their BOB and a pic of each on a USB stick just in case. We also get the optional kennel cough vaccine for them since it's often a requirement for kenneling them in private kennels and might be for public shelters - not that I plan on us or them being in one though. We also license them with the state, $25 a year and not really enforced here, but could help when trying to keep all the 'family' together during an evacuation/bugout that brings us in contact with government bureaucrats I figure. They also get some additional legal protections under our state law when licensed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We don't have any pets, but if we did, I would not be taking them with us. Too much drain on food resources, & unless a dog is very well trained it can easily give you away. We might take a couple of chooks along though if we were heading into the wilderness :).
    Keith.
    f1c94da326d6dd4dc83e98b9e1cd5f51.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.