Pickled Bean Question.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by jeager, Apr 15, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Dad made pickled beans a very old fashioned way.
    He had a 10 gallon ceramic (clay) jar with lid.
    He'd layer fresh garden picked green beans, then salt, then beans and so on.
    After some time they'd be salt pickled but I can't remember the recipe, time in jar, etc.
    He'd do the same with cucumbers. He'd split large cukes in half, spoon out seeds, fill
    cavity with horseradish, let "cure" for a quite a while.
    They were wonderful and the "hot" in the horseradish was quite mild.
    Anyone got the old fashioned recipes?
    Same for pickled green tomatoes by the same method.
    As an aside dad used a churn to make cheese, butter, and buttermilk.
    Goat cheese also.
    It's been so long ago that I've forgotten so much.
    Happily I still recall trapping furs as a teen for a few bucks.
    We were quite economically challenged. ( read POOR!) but I didn't know it back
    then.
    My first basketball was a hogs bladder.
    Honest.
    I recall walking 5 miles to the feed mill that also sold other things.
    Ammo!
    .22 ammo was $5 bucks a brick of 500 back then.
    A princely sum for a poor country kid.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My youngest son does most of the pickling in our family, & at present he is living in another area. The only pickling I have done is with vinegar & cloves with onions. Mostly we either dry our vegies or we bottle them to preserve them. Your recipes sound good though.
    Shops back then had a great atmosphere, to this day the dry goods store stands out in my mind. Used to love the smell of that place.
    Keith.

3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    There is/was a small country store on the W.Va. / Pa. boarder that sold .22 r.f. ammo by the piece.
    If someone bought a whole box of .22 ammo they were considered wealthy.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember reading stories about poor people in the States during the depression. How many of then dusted off their ancestral muzzle-loaders & used them to put meat on the table. There was a young Indian boy too who used a tomahawk to hunt small game. Later on apparently he earned a living performing tomahawk throwing on stage.
    Keith.