Possible Commodities in Your Community?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by dogs of amf, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. dogs of amf

dogs of amf New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Title says all. In the event of a total local economic collapse, one such that bank notes lose their value, what stuff do you think would become the basis of trade? I always imagine us falling back onto cigarettes; they're all plentiful and useful (both for addicts and people looking to stave off hunger) and can be replaced with little fuss (wrapping paper is bountiful and can be produced from raw materials decently and growing tobacco is a small-time hobby in most areas of the world. So, everyone would have some of it, it'd be well-known how to get more, but only a few people would be able to amass the labor power and capital to get large bounties of it. Sounds like a pretty decent basis, but what do you think?

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Probably fuel and car spare parts. Fossil fuel is plentiful and spare parts for vehicles will become very valuable, therefore I predict that those could become a the basis of trade in the locality. I think also a lot of imported goods, given their scarcity in such circumstances, will become quite valuable as commodities.

3. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Definitely various agricultural goods, shipyards functional to make some basic boats, fish and lot's of people in the fix-it business and the houseguesting business. Originally this place was a castle with a trade outpost and was the heart of land & sea trade for more than 2000 years, because of its cardinal position. The main road that crosses to the other side of the peninsula from east to west and vice versa, passed and still passes from my home city, so it's a mandatory stop-point for commercial caravans and travelers, which is why people who had lodgings for rent back then thrived from the traffic.