Post Apocalyptic Trading System

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by thePENofGODx0x0xz7, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If everything collapsed including the money system how would you approach the post apocalyptic world?
    Imagine that a small community of survivors was all that was left.
    Now an agreed upon way to trade goods is the only way to keep the peace,
    what system would you set in place?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Why would I want to trade away the items I need to keep? Why would anyone spend money pre shtf purchasing items for trading post shtf when they can spend that money on purchasing everything they need? In a survival situation, trading is unnecessary & dangerous. I can't think of a single survival situation where if you have prepared properly you would need to trade.
    Keith.

3. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think working for your food is a pretty good system. Anything you need, you work or trade something you can get for. That way, anyone can get the basic necessities. Getting the goods yourself and then becoming the person people come to trade for, can also be hugely beneficial. If you're the main supplier of food in a community, and people come to you for food, you can basically get any other thing you want with minimal effort. You can get them to do any job, or trade you anything you want. (Such as water, toilet paper, beds) Really, anything you could want.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I keep saying trading(or services) wont be safe post shtf, but if you want to take your chance, carry on don't let me stop you!!:Djust tell me where to deliver the corpse:rolleyes:

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    I get the feeling that some people don't actually read the replies, others read the title without reading the article & assume they know what it is about!!! Also a lot of questions being repeated because they are not searching the forum.
    Keith.

6. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    what types of things would you consider good for bartering?
    there are many things of value but what defines something as valuable.
    I know that some people store up gold and silver, which might be good for an economic collapse but what good would it have in SHTF? do you think people would still value it enough to trade their things for? or would it be useless because it has no survival benefit (ie. you can't eat it or stay warm with it). what other things would be valuable to trade here is a small list of things I could think of
    antibiotics
    medications
    medical supplies
    alcohol
    tobacco
    any type of fire starter
    any camping supplies
    food
    clean water/means to clean it
    warm clothes (dependent on environment)
    fuel (gasoline, diesel, lamp oil, propane heating oil, seasoned firewood)

I have purposely excluded knives, guns, and ammunition because I think that handing someone the tools to cause you harm is not a good idea. what are your thoughts on this?

barter would be a good way to get something that you need or want when you don't have it and could be a mutually beneficial arrangement. it does, however, carry with it the risk that the people you are trading with will then know what you have and might want to take it from you. not everyone can buy and store everything they night need for every disaster so I think that the ability to trade with those around you may be beneficial in some cases. one must always ask if the pros outweigh the cons

7. Nomad

Nomad Member
      11/25

Blog Posts:
    My skills and knowledge would be a tradeable commodity! i would only trade for goods or knowledge i did not have !

Lee CT NE likes this.
  8. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Personally I do not think it is worth the risk trading, just too easy for others to kill you & take what they want. But if you were to try & trade, any & all of the items you list would be good James.
    Keith.

9. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think that trading/bartering will not be possible until a long time post SHTF, i'm talking many months, maybe years, in the meantime we have to hunker down and be self reliant and actually survive on our own or with our family's until it is safe to even meet others without being attacked for what we might have.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.

lonewolf likes this.
  11. Nomad

Nomad Member
      11/25

Blog Posts:
    I agree ! once things settle down and the rifraf is subdued the rebuilding and trading can start!

12. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    both these things depend on numbers(of survivors), the lower the number the longer it will take.
    they only could build Stonehenge because the population had grown enough to make it possible.

13. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      131/173

Blog Posts:
    Survival First and Foremost - That includes security of yourself and others in your "tribe".
    I agree that trading would be something that would develop in the future after an apocolytic event.
    I live in a rural agricultural community and we already have a loose-knit "tribe" of like believers and prepareres. We also have some basic plans for a "militia" to protect ourselves.
    Once things settle down, then I would concentrate on marketable skills of mine, recharging batteries via solar power, and bartering various "extras" I have included in my supplies.