Post Catalclysm Recovery Efforts, Or "we're From The Government And We Require Your Assistance"

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by GateCrasher, Jul 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Archiving some old docs to free up disk drive space this morning and this title caught my eye, "THE MAGNITUDE OF INITIAL POSTATTACK RECOVERY ACTIVITIES". It's available online at https://www.survivalring.org/classi...itial postattack recovery activities 1971.pdf

I must have found it and saved it for later reading but never did until just now, it's a 1971 study done for the Office of Civil Defense by the Stanford Research Institute, the abstract is:

Old and outdated for sure, and the study is confined to a nuclear attack scenario in and around SMSAs ("Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area"), or cities with 1 or more million people generally. But even while outdated, studies like this probably influenced later policy and disaster plans that are currently in place. This is also an unclassified study, it's safe to assume many other studies have been done over the years and remain classified. Some points I thought worth discussion were:

- The surviving civilians being used as the primary workforce for clearing debris, delivering food and water, and decontamination efforts. Including the need for some of the workforce to come from the less damaged (and contaminated) areas outside the cities.

- The estimations on the number of people in the area having occupational skills that were most critical, heavy equipment operators to clear debris, truck drivers to deliver supplies, and linemen to restore damaged power transmission lines specifically, including how long their workshifts would be given the amount of radiation they'd be receiving.

- The less- or un-skilled civilians being used as stretcher bearers, collecting food and blankets from destroyed homes and businesses, boarding up windows to make damaged homes livable, or assisting with decomtamination efforts.

- The relocation of the homeless from the most heavily damaged areas. How many busloads, the staging areas, and Housing Assignment Directors to find new homes for the homeless.

Thoughts? From comments by preppers here and elsewhere many seem to believe government won't survive to bother us, or will only be interested in confiscating your supplies if they do, but what if they just come knocking on your door to 'draft' you into service to help with the recovery?

2. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    To start it off, I refuse to be drafted as a stretcher bearer for Ebola victims (as an example), and in the case of radioactivity I'll decide what is a safe amount and what isn't. Difficult to have a single plan that covers every possible scenario however, and for some disasters leaving home to help wouldn't necessarily put me in danger or those left back at home without me. Case-by-case basis for certain, living remote would probably decrease the chances of being drafted for a disaster hundreds of miles away, but my occupation does require a skillset that might be in high demand following some disasters too.

I do believe that government will survive most any disaster, and will be trying to mitigate the effects of whatever disaster hit us. Declining their 'invitation' to assist would obviously have consequences later. I have some other thoughts but will wait for others to chime in first.

3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I would not be the least bit interested in being drafted to help with post apocalypse reconstruction efforts. I would rather just fade away into the woods.

4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Gate Crasher,

Ref request for thoughts;

I am one of the msf.com forum participants that more than twice mentioned "COG" - Continuity of Government. Those here that say in a worst-case scenario there will be no government are wrong. Heck, if morgue trailers are not positioned and used, who will survive the diseases ?!

At the time of this Stanford study I was a civilian reservist from the oil industry. I attended Staff College, Office of Civil Defense, Battle Creek, Michigan. Had a good time there; like ethnic foods.

Not probably; these studies were used to refine the new studies and plans. (Frequently enough, the "weight test" governs. Otherwise Stanford, MITRE, RAND and many more would be looking for gainful employment.) Yes, some are still classified.

In my personal opinion, the older studies were written much better. It's easy to see /read the dumbing down of American society.

Meanwhile, to prove by an example that the USG is not closing down, in case of a SHTF alert, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors will relocate to their Emergency Operations Center in Culpepper, Virginia. Don't worry about some high-level Civil Servant spraying the desert cart wheels with WD-40. The carts probably have jeweled movements !

The country's not going away.

Yes, volunteers will be asked to help.

5. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Asking for volunteers is very different from drafting/enslaving survivors and forcing them to work to support the "elites"

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Son of Liberty,

I am "sophisticated" in my selection and use of terms.

The real scary part is that we probably will not support "elites". We will be working to support the lazy who partied all their lives. Help me give 'em a couple of extra blankets. There's air con inside the shelter. We can take a break inside after we unload the rest of this truck.

As an aside, I do not like volunteer help. They are more of a problem than a benefit....at least from my perspective.

7. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't matter who they try to force me to help with my slave labor. The lazy are just as bad as the "elites" imo.