Preserving & Storage.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Keith H., May 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We keep our pantry well stocked, as we use food we re-stock. Pantry wise we stock items that we actually use on a regular basis, though having said that, we mostly use the vegies from our garden.
    Garden wise we learn to like what will grow best. No point in keep trying to grow your favourite foods if it is just too much work & you are constantly losing your crop. Grow what grows best & get to like it.

For preserving we have a 240 volt fridge/freezer that like the rest of the house we run on solar power. We also use a vacola for preserving & we dry foods. Meat, corn, pumpkin, peas, beans & many other foods can easily be dried & will last for years. Corn I simply hang to dry, but other foods we dry in the open oven of our wood fire stove.
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/search?q=food+preserving

[​IMG]
    Corn on the cob hanging to dry near the wood heater.
    [​IMG]
    Baked pumpkin seeds.
    [​IMG]
    Apple drying in the open oven & on a rack on the stove top.
    [​IMG]
    Apple drying in trays above the stove top.
    [​IMG]
    Pumpkin/squash drying on a rack on the wood heater top.
    [​IMG]
    Vacola preserved tomatoes.
    [​IMG]
    Dried tomatoes.
    [​IMG]
    Dried potato slices.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    danil54grl likes this.
  2. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I definitely want to learn how to preserve food. Is there any outside resources you know that will help me learn to preserve food?

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Check out these links on my blogs Lakeisha: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/food-preserving-pdf.html?spref=bl
    http://australiansurvivalandprepper...4/11/simple-techniques-for-production-of.html
    This blog not mine: http://www.theoldfoodie.com/2014/10/tartar-methods-of-preserving-meat_6.html?spref=bl
    Keith.

danil54grl likes this.
  4. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm growing sweetcorn for the first time this year and am most intrigued by your drying method. I shall try it. I have a rack in the kitchen which is normally used for clothes drying/airing, but in the autumn I hang strings of apple rings from it to dry out and provide sweeties all winter, although of course they can be reconstituted by soaking in the usual way. I think that will be ideal for corn using your method. Thanks very much! Excellent pictures : -)

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Kya Cooper

Kya Cooper New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    After drying the corn, how do you rehydrate it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Boil in water or add it to a stew.
    Keith.

7. Kya Cooper

Kya Cooper New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I'm learning. I really want to get into preserving more and more of my own foods.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever wanted to keep some of your favorite cheeses around for a longer time? I used to think that my grandmother was crazy, but I understand now why she would do what she did. My grandmother would melt wax, and dip her cheese, that she would have gotten in bulk, into it. This makes a wax barrier that will help keep the cheese from going bad. It is definitely a money saver, and a way to preserve the food longer. I hope this will be useful to someone.

danil54grl and Keith H. like this.
  9. Wes Morgan

Wes Morgan Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:

I have been waxing cheese for a few years, I get my food grade wax from these guys. Works like a charm, I keep them in my basement pantry. http://www.cheesemaking.com/

10. Wes Morgan

Wes Morgan Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    Keep in mind, start with mild as it sharpens with age.

danil54grl likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post Rich, I did know this but had forgotten, not a method we have needed to use to date. I guess beeswax would be preferable.

Did you know that in the 18th century they transported cheese in lead containers?! I think the wax is a better choice ;)
    Keith.