Public Service Announcement

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by GrizzlyetteAdams, Feb 18, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    c8feb02484613cfbd573d63d5fc10195.jpeg via Imgflip Meme Generator

Don't forget: Elderberry syrup or tincture is nature's answer to Tamiflu! Like the anti-flu drug, elderberry works best when you take it before full-blown symptoms develop or as soon as you know that you have been exposed.

It is available at Walmart and every health food store. (Not exactly cheap, but it is super easy to grow and make your own.)

Not a bad idea to take it every day during flu season. Then ramp up the dosage/frequency as needed. It is good for your eyes and immune system too.

Be well, y'all.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I meant to post this in the "Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses" forum.

Mods? Haaalp! Could you please move this thread over there?

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    you had me so excited...i thought i got a love letter ...but all ya wanted to do was dip me for fleas and give me a kennel cough shot...yukkkk...roflmao

this flu is ripping through up here..my 98yr old granny has had since friday.

stay safe yall and bathe in chemicals often !!

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL, you ol' hound dawg, you.

Your poor granny!!! The flu is so hard on the old and young...

Although I usually pass on the flu shots, I really, really want the pneumonia vaccine! The local area has been in short supply for a while now, and I am on a waiting list to get it.

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and elkhound like this.
  5. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    prepper lesson here..nursing home ran out of masks for employees and visitors.

you know how germaphobic i am...granny is not seeing me for 2 weeks now...i am holding back and going to let it run its course and burn out before i see her again.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    If you have the full-fledged flu in full swing, it does not hurt to take elderberry and echinacea, too. TIP: the best strain of echinacea root to take is Echinacea angustifolia, not Echinacea purpurea, which is the kind most commonly sold (probably because it is cheaper, not because it is better.) Make sure you are getting the root portion, not the above ground herb. If the bottle says "herb" on it, put it back on the shelf and look for one that specifically states "root."

Sourdough, TMT Tactical and elkhound like this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

'nother prepper lesson: if you ever find yourself in a dire situation and all out of storebought masks, make an expedient mask with a double layer of good quality 100% silk fabric. Its tight weave filters out stuff way better than a bandana. In some parts of India, people use silk saris to filter water, which reduces the bacterial count of the water. (Of course, boiling is preferable, but in some places fuel is scarce and villagers say, "But we've always done it this way...")

I purposely shop thrift stores for super cheap silk shirts and cut them up to put in my purse, my bug out bag, my INCH bag, my vehicle... never know when it might come in handy!

8. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    if i had to retrieve granny now if the Apocalypse starts it would be in a NBC suit and mask.

nothing like going to a party while having the flu...snort !

you know my favorite game is dodge the germ when i go town anyhow...lol

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya, Elk. When I make my excursions into town to do any shopping, it is super early in the morning when all the snot noses are still sleeping. Take elderberry before I go and afterwards, hand sanitizer in the vehicle, etc.

But... I probably won't go as far as my podnah back home does, lolol. As you can see, he is a trip and likes to joke a lot. He also believes regular doses of the "L" (laughter) vitamin is good for all ailments.

Sourdough, elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of HEALTH warnings........????

6b21b2843497a40948698460d50be4dc.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Is Elderberry syrup or tincture in the Pharmacy section or the Food Section of Wal Mart? I am lucky, and very hardy. I never get flu shots, but my wife is very susceptible. We could both take it.

I got the pneumonia vaccine last year at my Doctor's recommendation. I have never had it, but it is just a shot, and you are in the office already, so what's the big deal.

TMT Tactical, Sourdough and elkhound like this.
  12. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    In Walmart, the elderberry syrup is in the in the cold & flu section, where the cough syrups are.

Amazon also has it. Last year, and the year before, the world's demand for the stuff outstripped the supply and NONE could be had anywhere, for any price that I could find. Yikes!

I stocked up this past summer, and also froze some fresh berries for making both syrup and alcoholic tinctures this winter.

13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

Perfect!! Thank You!

14. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Note: I added more to my post. (I do that a lot..."and another thing..." lol)